Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Supreme Commander 2 Announced

Square Enix and Gas Powered Games announce a strategic partnership and plans for Supreme Commander 2, a sequel to Gas Powered's real-time strategy game. There are no details about the game at all, other than it is now in development, as they say: "gameplay features, platform(s) and release date will be available at a later time" The majority of the announcement covers the partnership, which Square Enix calls one of the first steps "towards their goal of increasing western development efforts aimed for the global markets."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 20:00 Jow

That is what World in Conflict does. Each player controls their own little part of one army. It works pretty well but I think the devs of WiC didn't go into enough depth with the units. After a few games you're left looking for more variety and the games just boil down to battles you've seen and fought many times before.

You know, I really wanted to like World in Conflict. They did some amazingly cool things with the game but, and I agree with you 100%, they handed us the same uninspiring mishmash of generically named units that Supreme Commander dished up. So disappointing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 18:48 Mecha

I liked Supreme Commander 1 quite a bit. The lack of attachment to the mass produced units was a plus for me. Every so often now, I still play Forged Alliance, with Sorian's AI mod to make a decent opposition.

The non-functioning mod manager and lack luster AI (improved in the expansion w/ AI Cheat options, and player AI mods) were some of the weak points. TA had two things over SC: 1) there was a greater depth of flavor, as you had options of various weapons for defenses (missile, lasers, artillery, units); 2) Water buildings. The lack of water salvage and buildings was a major detriment to SC.

I'm looking forward to SC2 if they keep the epic scale. Hopefully they'll introduce more variety (ie fundamentally differently operating factions).

The campaigns were decent, but only the first time through.

20. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 16:20 MattyC

I think that's the main reason I found it not very fun. By going epic you lose any attachment you may have had to your units and it becomes an exercise in moving around colored blocks. Whee.

This ^ I wasn't a huge fan of SC with this being a primary reason. The other big one was I felt the campaigns were weak and rather bland.

19. simspeed slowdown Nov 12, 2008, 16:13 webname

have they fixed the simspeed slow down yet which slows the multiplayer skirmish games to and absolute crawl.

Me and my mate stopped playing it because it was unplayable even
on good pc's .after some time the game slows down drastically

I personally think CT is just another big overblown ego to many of them these days.

Its frustrating

18. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 15:46 Ventura

Sorry to say, but I am so over Chris Taylor. If he truly is the man most responsible for TA (am I the only one who has my doubts here?), then that means it's been over 11 years since he released something that I felt was really worth writing home about.

Titles like Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander 1, I went out and bought on release day, but with each release he seems to just abandon his titles quicker and quicker. The expansion to Supreme Commander, which was supposed to make things better, just made it worse.

I'm at the point now where I don't care whether Supreme Commander 2 comes out for the pc or not.

17. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 15:39 Tumbler

You wanna make this sort of epic strategy fest fun? Give us the option to play multiplayer cooperatively so that teammates are each managing PARTS of one big army. I can't tell you the first thing about how to approach doing that, but I'm pretty certain if they could pull something like that off it would revitalize the genre.

That is what World in Conflict does. Each player controls their own little part of one army. It works pretty well but I think the devs of WiC didn't go into enough depth with the units. After a few games you're left looking for more variety and the games just boil down to battles you've seen and fought many times before.

But I agree, ditch the heavy micro needed to setup and manage a unit production facility in these games and let players have units and go fight with them. WiC does a great job of delivering new units to the field and rewarding players for using every asset to it's fullest.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 15:09 nutshell42

Sega publishes Total War and even owns Creative Assembly. They can hardly be worse than what EA has done the last 15 years.  

15. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 15:09 Jow

SC just needs a few more tweaks and the game will be fun. It's got the foundation but without something to make it more interesting it's coming up short.

I'm pretty sure Chris Taylor thought TA wasn't quite massive or strategic enough so with SC he tried to make a product much more epic in scope. Of course it's subjective, but I think that's the main reason I found it not very fun. By going epic you lose any attachment you may have had to your units and it becomes an exercise in moving around colored blocks. Whee.

You wanna make this sort of epic strategy fest fun? Give us the option to play multiplayer cooperatively so that teammates are each managing PARTS of one big army. I can't tell you the first thing about how to approach doing that, but I'm pretty certain if they could pull something like that off it would revitalize the genre.

14. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 14:44 Jerykk

This isn't entirely unprecedented. Namco published that one Warhammer PC RTS a while ago. Mark of Chaos, I think.  

13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 14:30 nightfend

Square Enix? So much for a PC version...  

12. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 13:49 Tumbler

such as how do you make the game fun rather than tedious?

This is all I want them to worry about. SC was a great idea, but the end result isn't fun. It has moments that are entertaining but the game relies on learning build orders to pump out the correct units in the shortest amount of time.

Games that go head to head are ok but it's always a race to get to tech 2 or 3 units and rush your opponent and I never find myself racing to start the next game.

The phantoms mod has a ton of potential for SC. If you're unfamiliar it's a mod that makes everyone start as allies and you spend 7 min or so building forces. At that point phantoms are chosen (you vote on how many you want) in secret and those players get a large boost to their economy. So it's a very intense moment watching who is building what and deciding who is the phantoms. The point of this is the have the non phantoms band together to kill the phantoms, but it's really tough to know for sure who is the phantom. When a player dies you get to know if it's an innocent or a phantom but until that point it's uncertain that all your efforts are having any impact.

You don't want to build too much and make it look like you're a threat, but if you're a phantom you want to build as fast as possible to attack the innocents. It's brilliant and makes SC a lot of fun.

SC just needs a few more tweaks and the game will be fun. It's got the foundation but without something to make it more interesting it's coming up short.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2008, 13:51.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 13:14 Bluesfanboi

Eh?

SC has barely been sussed-out as all it can be, textures and landscapes are still dreary, the UI is still burdensome, performance is still demanding and there are countless little things to be addressed, such as how do you make the game fun rather than tedious?

SC2 puts the cart well before the horse in this light.

10. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 11:14 Raven

Square Enix? That's random.

My thoughts exactly. So we're looking for an extremely effeminate, emo main character and about 20 hours of cutscenes.

That's pretty ignorant comment. Square Enix has more franchise than just Final Fantasy. Front Mission series? I enjoy them a lot.

9. TA kingdoms? Nov 12, 2008, 10:58 LittleMe

Could be cool. I like the TA/Supcom Games. Are we in for another TA:Kingdoms? I hope not.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2008, 10:58.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 10:47 PHJF

My thoughts exactly. So we're looking for an extremely effeminate, emo main character and about 20 hours of cutscenes.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 10:36 Zzet

I second that featureless unit mass, it's what initially irked me about TA; everything looked (more or less) the same! Supreme Commander was worse as well with further out zoom levels. Looked great though overall.

But yeah, better gameplay options this time around please, and make it not require a beast PC if possible!

6. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 10:26 InBlack

+1 nin, as soon as I finish Fallout3.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 10:02 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 nin

Guess I should finally get around to playing the original...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 09:41 Jow

oh boy. dare i hope that they get away from the featureless unit masses from the original game this time around?  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo