Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: World at War

Activision officially announces the North American release of Call of Duty: World at War, Treyarch's new installment in the Call of Duty series of military first-person shooters. A version 1.1 patch was released earlier today for the Windows edition, addressing a couple of bugs and other issues. This latest installment returns the series to World War II, and for the first time will include a campaign set in the Pacific theater as well as coop support. Here's a bit on how co-op will work: "For the first time in the franchise, Call of Duty: World at War introduces co-op, bringing fresh meaning to the "No One Fights Alone" mantra. Call of Duty: World at War co-op features up to four-players online, or two-player local split-screen, allowing gamers to experience harrowing single-player missions together for greater camaraderie and tactical execution. The title also incorporates traditional multiplayer components such as challenges, rankings and online stats into the co-op campaign for deeper re-playability and advanced gameplay."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 12, 2008, 04:39 Jackplug

oh god!! WW2!! AGAIN!!! zzZZzzzZZzzzZZZZzz

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2008, 04:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 23:22 jimnms

I'm still waiting to see if this thing will be infected with DRM and/or activations/limits, but so far from what I'm reading here and other places, I might just pass on it either way. Wasn't this game supposed to have coop too?  

Steam Profile

12. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 19:46 Wallshadows

I'm pretty bored with WW2 games in general but it's nice to see the Pacific Theatre and playing as the Russians is always a treat even though I have played essentially the same title since Allied Assault...  

11. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 19:33 Bone43

Took me a hour just to get it to start had to change my sound settings.
now in the second mission it just dumps me to a black screen after the cut scene WTF! This is a bug fest console port with not much attention payed to the PC DEFENTLY not up to COD standards.

And don't forget to download the 320mb PC launch day patch always a good sigh of a finished game!

10. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 17:33 xXBatmanXx

I will buy this game when it hits 30 - just like the last one.

They are a ton of fun, but not worth the current retail price tag.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 16:54 MuzixMon

Whoever bashes this game just because Infinity Ward didn't make it is simply foolish. I've played a few hours of single player and I think it's the best CoD since CoD1. The gameplay is fast paced action packed much like all the other CoD titles but for some reason this one just feels better mainly because Coop mode adds so much to it. I was sick of WWII games too until I started playing this, now I'm enjoying every bit of it. The multiplayer servers are already starting to fill up so I'm hoping CoD5 gets a welcome reception and becomes just as successful as CoD4 was/is.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

8. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 16:10 Quboid

I'm not either, I find it a very interesting time period and it's also quite suitable - it was balanced, it offers a large variety of locations - more than any other war I can think of. It was recent enough to have some interesting technology, tanks, aircraft, nukes, and to have more interesting combat - the WW1 trench warfare that ended 90 years ago today wouldn't make good scenarios. WW2 is also old enough so it's not an uncomfortable topic and although obviously not 100% black and white, it's fairly clear who the bad guys are, clearer than any war since that I can think of.

By co-incidence, I'm watching Night of the Generals, a WW2 murder mystery. Excellent film, Peter O'Toole especially is just superb.

- Quboid

7. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 14:37 Ecthelion

Am I the only one who is *NOT* tired of world war II stuff?
I'm not either. Modern games involving war just aren't as compelling, and they often involve ongoing conflicts (meaning the larger context of the war is missing). WW2 is probably the most recent war that doesn't automatically trigger a firestorm of political debate, and that's a very good thing in my opinion. I have no problem with seeing WW2 games for another decade or two.

It probably helps that I don't play multiplayer, so I haven't played WW2 games day in and day out for the past 10 years. While I've played a lot of WW2 games, it has been in bursts of playing through the storylines of them as they come out. Also, my very first "real" PC game - Wolfenstein 3D - was a WW2 game, so it's where my roots are.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2008, 14:40.

6. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 14:20 Rufus

Am I the only one who is *NOT* tired of world war II stuff?

5. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 13:16 Tumbler

I like how the Wermacht and Japanese are all running around with Colt 1911 and Thompsons in MP.

what is up with that?

All weapons are "unlocked" as you play through the MP game. Regardless of what faction you play each player gets the same weapons. I think this was pretty lazy on the devs part but it makes the MP matches more balanced...I suppose.

This idea worked great in CoD4 because it's realistic that all those weapons would be in the hands of friendly and enemies. In WW2 it would not be that way.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 12:49 Doma

I like how the Wermacht and Japanese are all running around with Colt 1911 and Thompsons in MP.

what is up with that?

3. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 12:38 Tumbler

This game should cost $20.

The effort needed to make a good game off the Cod4 engine / gameplay is so minimal that it's a crime to charge full price for this.

This would be considered a mod by most standards for CoD4.

Offering the multiplayer side of this game as downloadable content would be pretty interesting. 1200 points or something in that area wouldn't be too bad for CoD4 fans.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2008, 12:41.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 12:34 dagger

Its already out on torrent  

1. Re: CoD: World at War Ships Nov 11, 2008, 12:29 Fausticle

Wake me up after WW2 ends.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..