Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch

Best Buy announces plans for midnight madness (muahahahaha!) in New York City for the launch of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, the upcoming expansion for Blizzard's MMORPG. The add-on is due on Thursday, November 13, so beginning at 8:00 pm on Wednesday gamers can congregate at the Times Square in Best Buy with Blizzard's Mike Morhaime and Frank Pearce and television personality Geoff Keighley to be among the first to get their hands on the game at the stroke of midnight. This is the only such event scheduled for the US east coast, and word is the festivities will include interviews, trivia and prize giveaways.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 11, 2008, 19:40 Elye

I've never done a midnight madness thing before... I think I'll try it this time. Hopefully the local Gamestop won't have a huge line...

Elye...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 11, 2008, 14:52 Than

I gotta say, I don't get the appeal of this expansion. Burning Crusade was totally awesome. The environments were crazy, the scale and scope were huge.

In this one... we get more snowy mountains? I played it at blizzcon, the first thing I did was get on a flying mount and fly over the terrain, and it looked just like all the rest of the game. Most of the mobs were the same model... It just looked like more of the same. I was thoroughly disappointed.

So what's the appeal? Another week of entertainment while I grind to 80? No thanks.

13. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 21:04 Mr. Tact

I've never done a midnight release for any game. Played WoW since about 3 weeks after the initial release and I won't be breaking my non-midnight streak. However, I did pre-order the collector's edition and I am getting release day delivery from Amazon. That's plenty good for me.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 16:48 Cutter

Considering 11M play, the player base is probably about as real as it gets.

Remember what happens when...keeping it real goes wrong.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/778846/when_keeping_it_real_goes_wrong/

The only game I ever did the midnight madness thing for was GTA4. Yeah I'll be picking this up, but I'm in no rush.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 15:19 Kxmode

Considering 11M play, the player base is probably about as real as it gets.  

10. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 15:02 Darks

Fanatcis! Real people with lives dont give a crap about this game. nothing more then a waste of money.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 14:36 Kxmode

I like the game but not enough to wait for midnight launch  

8. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 10, 2008, 11:10 Dades

I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't see the sense in standing in line for 3-4 hours before the sale starts only to wait another 1 or 2 hours for the store to move people through the line, when I can simply get up on Thursday and pick it up at any department store.

The only real reason to stand in line is if you want the Collector's Edition for the gimmick pet. The server authentication page to upgrade your account was swarmed last year, even at midnight. Personally I'll be playing the Left 4 Dead demo for about a week after LK launch so that the initial wave of server explosions are behind me. If you're on a low pop server then it isn't so bad but otherwise being in a big rush to play is pointless and will result in crazy latencies and server crashes. I laughed my butt off at guildmates a few years back while leveling my Paladin in Azeroth while they all dropped offline simultaneously every 10 minutes in Outlands. (Azeroth, Outlands and Northrends are all on separate sub-clusters)

7. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 10:22 xx

2 of the 3 gamestops in my town are doing the midnight thing and both walmarts are 24 hour. i figure i'll go into the walmarts at 11:30 and if they don't have it on the floor go to the gamestop. if i don't find it at midnight and i get pi$$ed i'm tempted to tell myself its a sign i should quit.  

6. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 10, 2008, 10:11 strich

i did the midnight sale once. for doom 3. been there, done that.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

5. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 10:07 InBlack

Tell me about it, I have to WORK at this bloody midnight sale!Nothing worse than handling a horde of WoW fanatics on midnight. I usually work in the office and have little contact with customers directly, but for this they mobilized the whole bloody company.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2008, 10:26.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich Nov 10, 2008, 09:59 nin

I'll take all 3 of your copies. Now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 10, 2008, 09:41 Lilricky

I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't see the sense in standing in line for 3-4 hours before the sale starts only to wait another 1 or 2 hours for the store to move people through the line, when I can simply get up on Thursday and pick it up at any department store.  

2. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 10, 2008, 09:29 strich

i can't do that midnight stuff any longer. i'll just wait and go get it during lunch on thursday. i doubt anyone will be out of it. Blizz prepares better than that.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

1. Re: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Midnight Launch Nov 10, 2008, 09:22 Quicksilver

soooo glad i kicked this habit  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo