Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 18:02 xXBatmanXx

Circuit City Files for Bankruptcy.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhocking!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 17:00 jimnms

Well, good time for cheap stuff! In theory, anyway. I remember when CompUSA went out of business, and they marked everything up 20-30% and then put closeout discounts on it. Some stuff there was actually cheaper at regular price.
No, not a good time. Because the same people that did the CompUSA close outs are doing the Circuit City ones.

http://consumerist.com/5079502/no-deals-notorious-compusa-liquidator-to-run-circuit-city-closings
I didn't even go to my "local" CompUSA until they were 5 days from closing. They're 50 miles from me, but I'm out that way once a week or so, just not that particular area. I just happened to drive by and saw their lights on, and I thought they had already closed. I was curious, so I turned around. They had everything marked 70% off. I bought Vista Home Premium for $50 and a toner cartridge for my printer for $20. They had a shit load of Vista Home Premium, Basic and Business (guess that shows what people thought of Vista at he time). I didn't think about it until I was already home that I should have bought them all and sold them on fleabay.

I went back the next day and all they had left were Vista Home Basic. I went back they day before they closed when things were 90% off and found two more toner cartridges for my printer that were hidden behind some others, so I bought them and got a box of new AA batteries for couple of bucks.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 15:26 banddirector

I've kind of had it in for Circus City ever since they backed the ill fated DIVX scheme (the "rental" model, not the compression algorithm) for DVDs years ago. They tried to screw the sell-thru model for DVDs, and although it's not that specifically that bit them in the ass, it's the whole idea behind their greed that, to me, is kind of a cosmic payback ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 12:56 zirik

No, no! Everythings fine! If you want to buy something, maybe one of the 10 people that are standing around in red shirts talking to each other might be able to ring you up.

that made me laugh even though it should not be funny. probably because it describes my experience in circuit city stores.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 12:51 zirik

November 1 - Sony stops all trucks delivering product to Circuit City.

the news report this morning states the primary reason circuit city filed for bankruptcy is to force manufacturers to deliver christmas items. i never knew bankruptcy protection involved forcing manufacturers to deliver goods even though the retailer cannot pay for them.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 11:23 Joss

Hey, that'll make a great T-Shirt!  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 10:58 WyldKat

Circuit City fails even in failure.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 10:51 Narf2029

I was afraid of that. Friend of mine got screwed bad from that... bought a new-at-the-time Macbook or something from CompUSA's closeout and ended up paying more than regular retail. Of course, she didn't heed my warning either. I can't afford to look for new parts often but it wasn't that hard to see the scam...

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2008, 10:56.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 10:20 nin

Well, good time for cheap stuff! In theory, anyway. I remember when CompUSA went out of business, and they marked everything up 20-30% and then put closeout discounts on it. Some stuff there was actually cheaper at regular price.

No, not a good time. Because the same people that did the CompUSA close outs are doing the Circuit City ones.

http://consumerist.com/5079502/no-deals-notorious-compusa-liquidator-to-run-circuit-city-closings

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 10:03 Narf2029

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 09:57 nin

No, no! Everythings fine! If you want to buy something, maybe one of the 10 people that are standing around in red shirts talking to each other might be able to ring you up.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 10, 2008, 09:36 Sixtoes

November 1 - Sony stops all trucks delivering product to Circuit City.

I said:

Oooooh. Having been an Operations Manager for a small retail chain, I can tell you that's very, VERY, VERY bad. Circuit City could be gone within a matter of days now...

Here we are, eight days later, and they're filing bankruptcy. I hate being right... really, I do. Good luck to all the folks working there in their search for a new job.

- - Giving money and power to government is like giving car keys and whiskey to teenage boys. - -

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo