Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mirror's Edge Interview

The Philosophy of Faith- A Mirror's Edge Interview on Gamasutra talks with producer Nick Channon about Mirror's Edge, DICE's parkour-influenced action game. Topics include the use of the first-person perspective, their 2D cut-scenes, more about the first-person perspective, pitching the game, gameplay mechanics, and still more on the first-person perspective.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 9, 2008, 13:24 Trainwreck

If this game were third person it would not be fun to play. Simple as that. You wouldn't be immersed at all in the character and it would be exactly like every other dull platformer out there.

Five hours is very weak. I'm not going to buy it after all. They need to start going back to the 20 hour range, or else $60 is simply too much to pay.

Can I look down at my boobs and see how much health I have left?

No, you're an Asian chick - being able to see your boobs would be a bit unrealistic, amiright? Seriously though, this ain't Isla Sorna, and there' ain't no raptors around, so again, no...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 9, 2008, 06:04 Jerykk

I disagree, if you could get the animation people from Assassin's Creed (still some of the most beautiful animations I've ever seen in a game), you could do the same game in a 3rd person perspective and get just as much enjoyment out of it.

I disagree again. In a third-person game, you feel detached from the action because you can see the character you are playing. In first-person, you are the character. The first-person perspective also makes movement feel much more visceral which is the main focus of Mirror's Edge.

Granted, I haven't played the game yet but from what I've seen, it already feels more immersive than Oni and Assassin's Creed (which I have played). I personally hated the platforming in AC, as it was completely automated and therefore boring. I like having control over every move which Mirror's Edge seems to offer.

I believe the game was called Oni by Bungie.

Except Oni wasn't a very good game. Combat was awkward at best and the level design was pretty lousy.

Again personally I think this game would be much better if it was more combat oriented then running oriented like Oni.

Oni was an action game. Mirror's Edge is supposed to be a platformer. Different genres. I'm happy that Mirror's Edge emphasizes platforming over action, as it seems like all genres are becoming more action-oriented when they really don't need to be.

7. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 9, 2008, 02:03 The Half Elf

I disagree, if you could get the animation people from Assassin's Creed (still some of the most beautiful animations I've ever seen in a game), you could do the same game in a 3rd person perspective and get just as much enjoyment out of it. I believe the game was called Oni by Bungie.
Personally I got more 'involved' with the character and the movements in the games I listed before and previously then I did with the demo after trying it a few times.

Another issue I have (at least with the demo) is all the big jumps, etc are a all or nothing attempt. Either you will make it or die. Also in the tutorial there are several spots where you MUST do only 1 thing and there is no alternative around them.
Example would be the wall run to the left, jump off that wall to the right and catch the edge and pull yourself up, or the back to the ledge creeping. And from watching the sewer run from both different routes, they really weren't all that different. Only major difference I could see was the same jump just different locations.

Again personally I think this game would be much better if it was more combat oriented then running oriented like Oni.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 9, 2008, 00:48 Jerykk

You know, they really should remake Trespasser. The game was far too ambitious for its time but with modern technology, I think it could live up to its potential.

And while it's cool to do all this stuff in first person, it'd be much more 'cooler' in 3rd person ala Jedi Academy/Outcast/Assassin's Creed.

I disagree. Mirror's Edge relies on the first-person perspective for its appeal. If it were third-person, it would have to compete with Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider and I don't think it would win. In this game, perspective really is pivotal to the experience.

The general consensus on the length of Mirror's Edge seems to be 5 hours. Then again, you're speed-running through the entire game...and most games don't even last that long if you speed run through them, e.g., Half Life 2 in an hour and a half.

5 hours on the first run? That's pretty weak. And you can't compare it to speedruns in other games because in those, the players know exactly what to do and where to go because they've beaten the game at least once already. Speedruns almost always involve exploits as well, like the HL2 exploit where you break the physics and go flying across the level.

Looks like I'll wait for this one to hit the $20-30 range.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2008, 00:53.

5. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 8, 2008, 22:00 The Half Elf

Can I look down at my boobs and see how much health I have left?

Noprize to whoever gets it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 8, 2008, 11:52 [THA] Hamst3r

I wonder how long the full game will be.

The general consensus on the length of Mirror's Edge seems to be 5 hours. Then again, you're speed-running through the entire game...and most games don't even last that long if you speed run through them, e.g., Half Life 2 in an hour and a half.

If your gonna make a awesome First Person view at least add the players shadow

Uh...they did. You have a shadow. You also have a reflection and a body you can look down and see.

Also, boo-urns @ your third person suggestion.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

3. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 8, 2008, 05:52 The Half Elf

Even after the demo I see little to no replay value for the game.

If your gonna make a awesome First Person view at least add the players shadow. It was one of the really nice touches in FEAR.

And while it's cool to do all this stuff in first person, it'd be much more 'cooler' in 3rd person ala Jedi Academy/Outcast/Assassin's Creed.

2. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 8, 2008, 04:34 Jackplug

I wonder when they are gonna tell us that it will have DRM on it too.. hahaha!!!  

1. Re: Mirror's Edge Interview Nov 8, 2008, 03:35 Trainwreck

Really looking forward to this game. Can't stop playing the demo, despite its brevity. I wonder how long the full game will be.

Despite its obvious console-related flaws - such as the "runner vision" and auto-regenerating health - this game offers such unique, intuitive and downright FUN gameplay that not trying it out at least once would be a mistake.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo