Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack

The Steam Users' Forums have instructions on how to make use of the code for split screen multiplayer in the Windows Left 4 Dead demo, even though support for such a mode was removed before the demo's release. The method described apparently requires the use of an Xbox 360 controller, and of course it is unsupported by Valve, or anybody else for that matter. Thanks Dagok.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 13, 2008, 15:05 Tumbler

I've played it and that's why i feel like I wasted $50.00.

How is your $50 wasted? Don't buy it. I don't get it. The game isn't out yet so how can you have wasted any money at this point? If you already paid for it, go ask for your money back. It's a pre-order. Even Steams website mentions that refunds are possible with pre-orders.

Pre-purchase/pre-order may not be the same but go ask. The forums seem to consider them the same thing.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Nov 13, 2008, 10:07 Tanto Edge

LoL, it's funny that so many people offer this sort of advice.
"You don't like it? Have more! And More! DO YOU LIKE IT NOW!? Oh. You're [insert race/creed here] aren't you?"

It's a Zombie game. I bought it happily because I'm always going to look at Valve's next foray into gameplay. They've done well so far, and here they've produced the Quintessential First Person Zombie Shooter.

There was a mod for Half-Life a while back, well after HL2 had been released. It never got ported to the Source version of HL and wouldn't work with the Source version. Saddened me deeply that I couldn't find my copy of HL anywhere nearby.

The mod basically turned HL into a semi 'Left 4 Dead'. In fact, when I initially heard about L4D, I immediately expected to read about the Zombie mod in question.
Imagine my surprise when I see Turtle Rock splashed all over and not a shot of the old mod in credit.

So it goes I suppose, we are talking about Zombies afterall, and the mod featured AI military units (which I'm expecting we'll see in full release), and the Player Vs Player aspect as well.

The whole goal was for the player to reach the military, where the players that died, would become zombies and not want to reach the military.

I personally think the game is great for two simple reasons. The repetitive gameplay IS exciting to a lot of people because it's changed up each time (it's like MMO, except I gain the experience).

The various facets of the gameplay, such as the range of units (which can only grow with online content), fantastic AI, PvP, destructible elements (doors and some walls), etc all allow the 'Director' to switch it up.

I've played the demo quite a few times with the AI on increasing difficulty and it allows me to move slower, appreciate the levels. So naturally the game takes the time to throw shit at me. It's good fun therein but I had never quite realized HOW MANY ROUTES there really are through each area. It's remarkable what is available for the Director to open and close at a whim.

Creating levels for this may be the most fun yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

37. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 12, 2008, 22:42 Dades

Play with friends, play on a harder difficulty and you will hopefully begin to see the light. Playing with the AI on Normal is boring because it's meant for inexperienced players. Graphics are fine on a decent machine with the eye candy turned on, no clue what the complaint there is. No it's not Crysis, it was never advertised as such. The demo offers a very limited view to whet your appetite. If it isn't your thing then fair enough but you will be doing everything from going through an airport to evading zombies in a forest at night to dodging them in a corn field. There is a large campaign, you played 1.5 parts of a 5 part campaign and there are 4 campaigns total.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2008, 22:44.

36. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 23:26 MuzixMon

I've played it and that's why i feel like I wasted $50.00. The game offers nothing but repeatative run in the room shoot the zombies and repeat over and over and over. Sure it's enjoyable to a certain extent but to me it feels bland. I know it's just the demo and there will be more content but I don't think the gameplay will change at all during the entire game based on what I've seen. As I said before I am not the one who usually bashes but defends games just look at my old posts to see thant. Now I'm being called a Troll because I state that I don't feel this game is worth the $50.00 they are asking for it.
Reasons why I don't like it:
It's the same ole game I've played 100 times before but with coop.
The graphics are par for 2004 not 2008.
No variety (from what I've seen).
Doesn't compete with other games that recently came out (Crysis, Dead Space, Fallout etc etc)

In my opinion Valve has failed with this one, if you are satisfied with it and it's $50.00 price tag that's great! I'm curious to see the reviews if they praise the game then it's me and I'm just being to critical or you always have to consider they will praise it no matter what because it's the Almighty Valve who put it out and they can do no wrong.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

35. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 22:33 Krovven

Have you even played it MuzixMon or you just spouting off on something you don't have first hand experience with?

I've already put in 7.6 hrs with the demo. 3 hours of that is using the splitscreen hack with a friend using the 360 controller last night. We had a blast. I've played a dozen or more games online in Expert mode and it's been a lot of fun every time, and different every time, found new areas/rooms or pathways every time.

This is just 2 levels out of 5 in the No Mercy campaign. There are 3 (or is it 4) other campaigns consisting of 4 or 5 maps as well.

it falls flat in every regard.

How so? You've given absolutely no reasons why, or what was wrong, etc, etc. Comparisons to SS are FPS and it's fast paced action with lots of enemies. Comparisons end there. The gameplay is not for everyone, no gameplay is. But for someone to make a blanket statement that the game sucks and Valve have failed and people shouldnt be enjoying it like they are, without stating a single reason why...it just sounds like trolling.

34. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 19:42 MuzixMon

I'm far from a Troll, if anything I usually defend games while other people bash them unfairly. This game however does not deserve the hype it's getting and it falls flat in every regard. I'm all for small developers getting a fair chance getting their games out there, most the time they never get far no matter how good they are. Then a big developers such as Valve puts out a very mediocre game and it gets showered with tons of praise just because Valve made it it's just not fair. If this game was made by a small developer and was released by Activision Value it would never even get a bit of press. At best this game is a polished HL2 mod much like that Zombie mod Valve started pushing a few weeks ago.

Now, why should this game only be $20.00 because that's all it's worth. If it were released in the next Orange Box along with HL2 episode 3 and Portal 2 then it would be worth $50.00. TF2 and CSS were released along with other games as this should've been. I'm sure many would agree with me on this.

Oh, and one more thing... L4D was compared to Serious Sam, how much did that retail for? $20.00??? Why was that only worth $20.00?

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2008, 19:46.

33. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 17:12 Tumbler

*sniff*
I smell a TROLL!

What exactly makes this game worth $20?

32. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 15:51 MuzixMon

$20.00 for this game would've been reasonable. At $50.00 it's a rip-off BIG TIME! The console boys paying $60.00 are really getting it stuck to them... Good! Console players who live for crap like GoW2 will even think this blows. Valve has failed this time, it's sad but true just accept it. L4D should be left for dead.  

31. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 13:59 BicycleRepairMan

'm smoking some good refer. You're right, the graphics are great - for 1985.

I dont know how high, or mentally retarded you'd have to be to complain about the graphics of L4D, the graphics are GREAT in this game, not only is the newest source version rendering things that look good enough in terms of polygons and shaders, but the artwork, animations, theme, lighting, mood and all that REALLY matters, is spot on in L4D

For the hardware nerds there are, and always will be, graphic wonders like Crysis that they can jerk off to, not my cup of tea, sorry. I have a completely decent, above average gaming rig, and games like crysis either runs like-like-like sh-sh-sh-sssshit on it, or I have to turn down the settings so much it looks like shit instead.

Left 4 Dead runs like butter, looks great, and plays even better.

30. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 13:55 OpticNerve

I wasn't impressed with the graphics at first, but you really do have to take it as a whole to really appreciate it. When you have a screen full of zombies just climbing fences, cars and bursting through doors and windows just to get to you without much of a framerate drop, that's when things get pretty damn impressive. The way zombies move and the way you can tell how bad off your player allies are simply by their facial expressions, if they're limping and just by how much blood is splattered on their clothes is just really, really well done, but it's all done in a subtle way.

I think the animation is where the game really does shine though. The zombies are just fantasticly well animated as are the character animations. Sometimes, "good" graphics aren't just about how high res the textures are or how many HDR or bloom effects they can plaster on your screen at any given time. L4D is very solid in the graphics department. I mean, after you battle a horde of zombies in a small room, you see bullet holes all over the place and have blood splattered everywhere. It's no Crysis, but you pay a very steep price for Crysis-like quality.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

29. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 11:23 Tumbler

I find playing the game on expert to be the most fun. I don't really care about making it out of the level. Things change so much on each run through it's fun to keep trying it. And I ALWAYS hit the car with the alarm! You don't know what you missing if you skip that car. So much fun.  

28. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 11:22 Buckle Down

Gameplay>graphics
If this was so true you be playing pong right now asshole. How about both, is that too much to ask? The graphics in this game are DATED, at best. If this wasn't from Valve you would all be bashing this game right now.

27. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 10:09 Bucky

Playing this game on advanced wasn't that hard

I think part of that has to do with the fact that there's only 2 levels in the demo. Take note of your team's condition at the end of the second level--in most of my games on advanced the team is in rough shape. If you were to continue everyone would have to burn the health packs right at the start of the third level which would make things rather difficult later down the road. I believe that the difficulty will scale a lot better when you try to play through an entire location.

26. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 10:08 Muscular Beaver

Gameplay>graphics

Why is TF2 so successful then?
Its gameplay is horribly dumbed down compared to TFC.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

25. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 09:47 Tumbler

This game is crazy stupid fun. I believe this will be game of the year. The demo has stunned me with how much fun I'm having. After a few run throughs I wasn't that impressed, in the first area things seemed too similar each time...then things started changing. Zombies were not appearing early, we'd walk into those rooms and be ready to unleash hell...and there was nothing. Eary silence. A few rooms later it was like someone unlocked a door with a room full of zombies, they just come pouring in from all directions and it is INTENSE.

Playing this game on advanced wasn't that hard, playing it one level up, expert?, was amazing. The intensity stepped up a ton zombies moved a lot faster. It started feeling exactly like playing through Dawn of the Dead. It was amazing.

This game nails the insanity of drying to defend yourselves from hordes of zombies. From getting attacked by smokers and hunters, to being overwhelmed and dropped and trying to use your pistols on the ground to save yourself.

Fucking awesome.

It should also be noted that playing this game on singleplayer was not that interesting. Playing with 4 other humans is what this game is all about. Learn how to play singleplayer, but don't waste anytime there, just go find a group to play with.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2008, 09:52.

24. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 08:26 Bhruic

If this wasn't a VALVE game most of you would be bashing it as a mindless bland shoot-em-up.

I'm trying to figure out why "mindless shoot-em-up" would be a bad thing? There hasn't really been a good mindless shooter since the last Serious Sam. We're quite overdue. And not only has it been pulled off well, but the co-op angle is something seriously lacking in shooters these days too.

23. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 02:07 Buckle Down

If this wasn't a VALVE game most of you would be bashing it as a mindless bland shoot-em-up.
This right here pretty much sums it up. Too many fanbois in here for their own good.

Got Fanboi?

22. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 01:02 Veinman

I'm really happy with the gameplay. I fear I won't ever want to play these 2 chapters again once the full version ships though.

I'll give this split-screen hack a try.

21. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 8, 2008, 00:25 MuzixMon

If this wasn't a VALVE game most of you would be bashing it as a mindless bland shoot-em-up. I think this game blows and I couldn't be more disappointed. Everything about it is underwhelming and shooting zombie after zombie gets boring real quick. This game is basically a glorified mod nothing more. I can't wait for the reviews to see them kiss Valve's ass just because they are Valve and praise the game when it doesn't deserve it. This game should be $20.00 max then I would'nt be so disappointed but at this price I feel completely ripped off. The Counter-Strike boys better work on CS3 and leave the zombie thing to Romero.  

20. Re: Left 4 Dead Split Screen Hack Nov 7, 2008, 22:51 Fion

The graphics are solid IMHO. What I've been enjoying are the animations of the zombies in the game. They are fantastic. The sound fx and voice work is very solid, when you hear a swarm working their way to you, you stop, try to find where they are coming from and shit your pants (at higher difficulty) when 50+ zombies piles into you.

That and the death animations. They are quite enjoyable.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo