Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Fire Interview

How Far Cry 2 's Fire Fuels, Spreads on Gamasutra is a conversation with Jean-Francois Lévesque of Ubisoft Montreal specifically about the way the fire behaves in the shooter sequel. Word is: "I have only one burning desire, let me stand next to your fire, let me stand next to your fire." No wait, that's Jimi Hendrix. Word really is: "I really like chain reactions caused by fire. During development, I often found myself laughing out loud because a small fire I started turned into complete chaos -- blowing up cars and structures, setting trees on fire. The beauty in that is it’s always different. It’s unscripted. I have laid down the rules and the world reacts to them. It causes some surprising and unexpected results."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 8, 2008, 07:27 dryden555

an impressive tech engine, no doubt there. But the MOTS gameplay doesnt hold up as well.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Dagok? Nov 7, 2008, 18:14 4D-Boxing

Eldaron Imotholin

Maybe I should have started playing the game at a higher dificulty level the repetitiveness would not have gotten to me. I iamgine you avoid using the machine gun on the jeep to keep the game challenging.

I might restart it on infamous.

Head shots do work but at the default difficulty they are not even needed.

15. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 18:11 theyarecomingforyou

If you ever had one of the early morning wind/rain storms in the jungle areas, well, they are just gorgeous to watch.
Yeah, incredible. Same when you get a full moon lighting up the night sky or when you're bounding about the jungle / grass / water areas on foot. Unfortunately you spend half your time driving from one place to another, relying so heavily on the map that you don't really notice what's going on around you or get to learn much of the layout of the map. It also suffered from a lack of friendly AI, as games like HL2 and Clear Sky have you fighting alongside half a dozen other people, which is very engaging.

I really am impressed with the technical aspects of the engine. To me it's visually more impressive than the Crysis engine and runs dramatically faster. The benchmarks also demonstrate it makes much better use of quad-core processors than any previous game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 17:42 Bhruic

The potential was immense, which is why it ends up being disappointing overall. I really hope to see a major expansion or reuse of the engine, as it would be a waste not to.

I think that sums up my feelings about the game. It's a game that I really, really wanted to like just because it was such an impressive environment. If you ever had one of the early morning wind/rain storms in the jungle areas, well, they are just gorgeous to watch. But the game suffered from some serious design flaws.

13. Re: Dagok? Nov 7, 2008, 13:23 Eldaron Imotholin

I think the game is absolutely awesome and the repetitiveness hasn't gotten me down yet either. The action can get so... inCREDIBLE tense that I can honestly say I haven't experienced such thrills in any other game. Knowing that none of the action is scripted like those CoD games that I, as right about the only gamer on the planet, fucking hate, I think that's one amazing feat!

Graphics wise this game is a pearl, and it even runs sweet on lower systems with only a few graphical beauties toned down.

What the HECK is this bullshit about headshots? I'm playing this game on "Infamous" setting and with my silenced pistol I still one-shot them as long as it's in the head. Counts for any other gun I'm used so far. So, yeah, what the heck..!?

Cheers,
Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

12. Re: Dagok? Nov 7, 2008, 11:57 Fion

Personally the repetitiveness of the game hasn't gotten me down much. The free roaming, the combat, the physics, the fire propagation, I've been having a blast in the game frankly. IMHO it's significantly more enjoyable then Fallout 3.  

11. Dagok? Nov 7, 2008, 10:30 Buckle Down

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 7, 2008, 12:52.

10. well, Nov 7, 2008, 09:28 Shataan

I am sadly amazed that FC 2 so far is the 1st game in years to make me absolutely feel no interest in playing it. I loved FC incomparison. I hated FCs bad voice acting, and B movie grade monsters, but otherwise, it was interesting and drew me into wanting to continue on and play it to the end. FC 2? *snore*

I could care less about tech marvels etc, and beauty bladda yadda yadda. There IS no interesting game here for me. Tcchwise the dev team rocked here. But, I bought a game, not a tech demo. Well, actually, I think I bought a tech demo that should have been a game.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 09:28.

9. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 09:26 theyarecomingforyou

The mission structure is repetitive and lacks originality (as well as being incredibly linear), while issues like instantly respawning guard posts and excessive car chases were incredibly tedious. It was also annoying that everyone was out to get you, all the while you had to traipse around delivering passports to get malaria medicine. However, the combat is great. The graphics stunning. Performance brilliant. The setting is fresh.

The potential was immense, which is why it ends up being disappointing overall. I really hope to see a major expansion or reuse of the engine, as it would be a waste not to.

I would say that non-head shots weren't powerful enough but headshots maybe too powerful.
Actually, if you don't hit them in the head the first time it can take about five headshots to take them down. Meanwhile any body hit with the dart gun counts as a kill.

Also, did anybody see any of the advanced AI demonstrated in earlier videos? Enemies were supposed to look around for threats if an ally was hit and then try to help them to cover and such. Nothing I saw was particularly remarkable, unlike Clear Sky.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 09:25 siapnar

The environment was destructible.. every tree would light up and break. Some shacks would crumble too.

Also, it was pretty clear to me which way the wind was blowing, you could see all the foliage swaying in that direction.

Great technical achievement. Too bad the gameplay is hugely repetitive and not all that exciting to begin with.
I played maybe 1/5 of FC2 and now that Fallout 3 is out, I haven't looked back.

And yes, on hard mode the enemies take 3 headshots from an ak or 6 shots to the chest. No helmet, not armour.. some of them not even wearing a shirt.
Ubisoft opted to make them have a huge amount of hitpoints and impossibly precise aim in hard mode rather than have good AI.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 09:27.

I have projectile dysfunction.

7. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 09:13 Quboid

5 headshots? I regularly sniped people with the silenced pistol at 100 yards plus. That's a polar opposite, that's too powerful (and waaaaay too accurate). I would say that non-head shots weren't powerful enough but headshots maybe too powerful.

The fire was good. I wish there was a better way to tell which way the wind was blowing, there was little indication that I could see.

- Quboid

6. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 06:22 InBlack

KarlL +1

Bland and repetitive...plus it takes 5 headshots on average to bring an enemy down...

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 02:36 Hoop

Im really looking forward to having call of duty5 on the hard drive next week ...FarCry2 & COD5 could not be more polar opposite, so depending on my mood I can pick one to suit.  

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 02:09 JaZeeL

I was entertained, but in retrospect it feels very generic and repetitive, and I'm not sure I can stomach a 2nd playthrough.  

3. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 02:04 Hoop

Oh one more thing .... this game is a technical thing of beauty...although I agree the game is lacking in some gameplay elements, I cannot recall such seemless blended intergration of so many technical layers in one game. Quietly working my way through Far Cry2 has left me with the same awe that I first felt when setting off down the paths of Unreal.

The Music is so perfect in this game, its compostion, the way it punctuates... academy award material.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 01:50 Hoop

Ive had some cool moments so far. One was while destroying the gas tanker by explosives. I got there all sneeky sneeky only to realise I had no explosives ....I set the grass on fire wondering if the tanker would go up, as the fire spread panic broke out with drums going up all over the show, luckily the wind was in my favor then BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! never saw the thing go up, too busy getting out of dodge and away from the fire that was by then out of control.  

Um .. Behind you...

1. Re: Far Cry 2 Fire Interview Nov 7, 2008, 00:29 Karl_L

The fire would be better if the environment was destructible.
You know...like it says in big bold letters on the box.
It was pretty neat though. Next time they should include a game.

Yea I didnt like farcry 2 much.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo