Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Sells Big

Bethesda Softworks Announces Successful Launch of Fallout 3 is the press release with some very large numbers from the launch of Fallout 3 that make it hard to dispute their use of the word "successful." Bethesda announces having shipped approximately 4.7 million copies of the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel for Windows and consoles, saying this represents $300 million in sales: "Released on October 28 in North America at midnight store openings in over 2,000 retail outlets nationwide jammed with fans eager to get the game, Fallout 3 quickly became one of the industry's top sellers around the world. For example, in the United Kingdom where it was not released until Friday, October 31 the rapid sales of Fallout 3 have led the game to be ranked number one among all video games, as well as being the number one game on each of its three platforms."

View
134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

134. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 13, 2008, 12:44 theyarecomingforyou

Scrubbing toilets at EA doesn't make him a dev...
That gives a whole new meaning to "pirating shit".

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

133. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 13, 2008, 10:40 nin

So Jerykk, you're a developer? For who?

Scrubbing toilets at EA doesn't make him a dev...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

132. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 12, 2008, 20:01 Kedyn

So Jerykk, you're a developer? For who?  

131. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 12, 2008, 12:09 Dades

Because it's much more enjoyable to him to continually brag about it and rile people up. Just write him off as a forum poster, you'll be much happier you did. Soon as I hear "pirate" I just ignore the person's posts. They aren't really relevant to the industry anyways, their feedback means nothing because they contribute no revenue except worthless bargain bin sales.  

130. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 12, 2008, 00:37 theyarecomingforyou

As I mentioned earlier, I'll buy Fallout 3 when it drops to a price I believe it's worth. In this case, $30. I did the same with Oblivion and Morrowind.
Why not just wait until it's $5? Fuck it, the game will probably be given away for free sometime in the future so why pay at all, as really all you're doing is getting to play it a bit early. The price is the price - if you're willing to pay it, pay it; if you're not then don't play it. You don't get to go a restaurant and try the meals before deciding whether they're worth the money. But oh no, you're better than the developers/publishers - you get to use their product and then decide if it's worth paying for and then how much you want to pay (determined by how long you wait). Afterall, Jerykk knows best.

Oh, and thanks for giving publishers justification for inflicting DRM upon genuine customers. Yeah, thanks. And you claim you work in the industry? Please. If you did you'd have an appreciation of the work involved and the need to supporting developers.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

129. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 10, 2008, 00:31 Jerykk

Great, Now If only Jerykk would pay the money for the game he stole (and plays). The developer could feed their families.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll buy Fallout 3 when it drops to a price I believe it's worth. In this case, $30. I did the same with Oblivion and Morrowind.

Also, "feed their families"? Wow, I didn't realize Bethesda was on the brink of collapse. I better go out and buy 100 copies of the Collector's Edition so that the Bethesda guys don't have to sell their children and eat their own feces to survive.

128. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 9, 2008, 17:39 Kosumo

Jerykk and 3drealms?? One could only wonder

*Please note, I think of both 3drealm and Jerykk fondly but find the way they are going about thing strange. (Strange is ok, I'm can be a little strange at times too)

127. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 9, 2008, 17:01 Dades

But but he's a game dev guys! There isn't a rolleyes big enough for Jerykk in general.  

126. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 9, 2008, 15:21 Kosumo

Great, Now If only Jerykk would pay the money for the game he stole (and plays). The developer could feed their families.  

125. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 8, 2008, 18:35 Jerykk

Great find! Now if only Bethesda would release a patch that fixes the crashes I get when I enter pre-war houses. I can't complete a quest because of that.  

124. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 8, 2008, 13:22 Ecthelion

I just discovered Fallout 3 does have F1-F3 hotkeys (for each screen of the Pip-Boy). It's not listed in the game or manual though.  

123. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 21:01 Kosumo

I'm still unclear as to whether anyone disagrees? Or are all of you simply disagreeing that I'm a developer? If that's the case, you can believe I'm not. It doesn't really matter.

So I'm confused, if I believe you are, why should it matter any more? Other than that it would make you a parasite on your own industry??

122. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 20:25 DedEye

So far enjoying it a lot; it's better than I thought it would be. Really kept a lot of the flava from the first 2 games. I've done the main quest to Rivet City, now checking out other areas, level 11. Seems darker with less humour. Not a bad thing. Very good immersion (for me anyway, ymmv). Seems to have tonnes of modding potential.

I'm wondering if I can do things like get married and pimp my wife, or sell my partner to slavers. I kind of doubt it.

I'm a little disappointed the number of skills were pared down. Definitely a lot easier than F1&2; I died a lot in those games. The only time I've died so far is misusing the mininukes. They should have made fast travel like the first 2, with a chance of a random encounter.

A key ring; hey, can I get one for Oblivion?

Inventory/merchant menus should be drop down, or icons across the top, so I don't have to "clickety-click-click-click" through the menus.

I've had only a couple crashes, on exit and fast travelling, none since the patch.....which was itself an interesting experience. Levitating objects, including a priest at a wedding in Rivet City (thought he was hanging at first lol). The physics are interesting...sometimes comical, sometimes disturbingly realistic, although I believe inadvertently in this respect.

We'll see how it plays out

121. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 14:59 Jerykk

None of these problems are enough to make the game unfun, but fixes for them would make the game even better.

Agreed. At no point in this debate have I said that FO3 sucks or isn't fun. I've stated the contrary. However, the port itself (I repeat, the port, not the game) is half-assed, as evident by the lack of consideration for PC gaming standards.

Now, I'm sure someone will inevitably point out that the FO3 port isn't half-assed when compared to ports like RE4. I'd still disagree. The RE4 port was completely assed. The FO3 port is only half-assed. At the very least, FO3 includes mouse support and lighting effects.

Here's how I rate ports:

Good = Efforts are made to optimize the game for the PC, in terms of performance, interface, difficulty, graphics, text size, etc. Mass Effect and Jade Empire are examples of good ports (if not necessarily good games).

Half-assed = Minimal efforts are made to optimize the game for the PC. Mouse is supported and you can use high resolutions but that's about it.

Completely-assed = No efforts are made to optimize the game for the PC. No mouse support, no resolution changing, etc.

The vast majority of ports fall into the half-assed category where only the bare minimum (mouse support and higher resolutions) of optimization is met.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 15:00.

120. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 14:19 Ecthelion

I'm really enjoying Fallout 3, but I agree that it could use some PC-specific improvements. Hotkeys would be nice... even Oblivion had hotkeys for each section of the "management" interface (stats, inventory, spells, etc.). Fallout 3 should have something like that for the Pip-Boy, if not even more extensive hotkey support. I don't know if it's possible for mods to add hotkey support, but I hope so. The problem of large text is annoying, but there is already a great mod that fixes that.

I can't think of anything else that bothers me about the PC version.

None of these problems are enough to make the game unfun, but fixes for them would make the game even better.

119. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 14:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. I read through this whole thread. I'm gonna go ahead and call the match for Jerykk. Nobody is offering any evidence or even a decent argument to dispute him. His claims make sense and I can't find anything that contradicts them. Neither can anyone else apparently.

The same kinds of interface and design issues have been present in too many PC ports to deny that they are generally a symptom of half-assed efforts to optimize the PC version. I don't really see how you can call such glaring flaws design decisions, unless you believe the designers are just plain retarded and know nothing about PC game design.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

118. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 13:30 Jerykk

My whole argument is that the PC SKU gets the shaft in most cases of multiplatform development. I'm still unclear as to whether anyone disagrees? Or are all of you simply disagreeing that I'm a developer? If that's the case, you can believe I'm not. It doesn't really matter.  

117. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 12:51 Dades

It doesn't really matter if you're Derek Smart or Gabe Newell, it doesn't make your opinion any more relevant than someone else on here. You can argue it gives you more insight but based on the supposed "steps of game development" you laid out below, obviously not much more than anyone else. Stop trumpeting a useless piece of information you refuse to even proof.  

116. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 12:22 Jerykk

For christ sake, that's my entire point which you've dismissed until now.

Except you're missing my point. You have no experience in the industry yet you argue as if you do. Whether you believe that I'm a developer or not, you really have no basis to disagree with me unless you have evidence that contradicts my claims. If a doctor makes a prognosis and I have no reason to disagree with it, I'm not going to insist that he's wrong. All the facts support my claims, yet you don't even address them and simply dodge my questions instead.

And what if I told you that I work for Bethesda? Or id? Or Treyarch? You wouldn't believe me in any case. You'd want more proof, like a name, which really doesn't serve in my best interests. In this case, you are better off simply giving me the benefit of the doubt unless you can find evidence that proves that my claims are wrong.

Since you keep avoiding the question, I'll ask again: Do you believe that all SKUs receive equal attention during game development?

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 12:23.

115. Re: Fallout 3 Sells Big Nov 7, 2008, 08:54 PHJF

And you know this... how? Are you a developer?

For christ sake, that's my entire point which you've dismissed until now. You cannot make sweeping generalizations about the gaming industry until you prove that you are a credible, experienced source of that industry. It's called ethos.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo