Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Early Access Today

Valve sends a reminder that early access to the Left 4 Dead demo begins today for those who have preordered the multiplayer zombie shooter for either Windows or Xbox 360. These customers will be able to play the demo for several days before it opens up to general access for seven days starting November 11:

Early access to the Left 4 Dead demo begins Thursday, November 6 on both the PC and Xbox 360. The early demo access is scheduled to begin around 2 am PST on the Xbox 360 and 7 am PST on the PC. This promotion is being offered in addition to the 10% savings for those who pre-order and applies to all Steam PC pre-orders and all PC and Xbox 360 pre-orders from GameStop and EB Games in North America. On November 11 the demo will be made available to all PC and Xbox 360 gamers worldwide, with no obligation to purchase. The demo concludes on November 18, when Left 4 Dead will be made available at retail outlets across North America and worldwide via Steam.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

110. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 8, 2008, 09:37 Ph1zh

I pre-ordered L4D yesterday at Gamestop. Provided all of my information including an email address. At the time of pre-ordering the store manager did not have any "key codes" to play the demo. I have not received an information on this in my email address yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you get access .... I need my L4D fix man, help a brother out!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 21:03 Krovven

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745482

Someone figured out how to play as the Infected bosses in the demo.

108. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 19:18 Krovven

Maybe add a more realistic difficulty setting.

Almost guaranteed it will happen with mods.

107. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 18:56 jimnms

There is nothing realistic about a zombie setting anyways.

Actually it's not totally impossible for a zombie apocalypse to happen. There are hundreds of mold, and fungi that already have mind altering effects on humans and other animals. There's some that effect insects that cause them to commit suicide. One could mutate or be genetically modified to turn humans into violent raging zombies and some people might not be effected like others.

Steam Profile

106. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 18:51 jimnms

There is nothing realistic about a zombie setting anyways. Just have fun!
I'm not asking them to turn this into a tactical FPS, though that is almost what it is, except with zombies. Maybe add a more realistic difficulty setting.

The game is fun, I just think it could have been better, in realism and story/game play. I was hoping it would be like playing in a zombie apocalypse movie where you're breaking into gun shops, pawn shops, police stations, grocery stores, etc. to loot guns, supplies and ammo along the way. Instead, they're conveniently left on random tables throughout the streets for you.

I just find games more fun when they use realistic weapons. All FPS game designers should take a look at Rainbow Six: Raven Shield's weapon system. To this day, I find that it has the most realistic feeling/looking weapon system ever done, except the muzzle flashes are a little overdone.

Hopefully a talented mod team will do a realism mod for it and add more realistic weapons to the game.

And as for the witch, I've only played it 4 times through on single player, once with each character. Three of the 4 times the witch was in the last room on the last level, so there was no avoiding here. The other time, which was the first time, she appeared in the subway somewhere. I never saw her, but we all shut off our flash lights and I was moving slowly, then it said Zoey spooked the witch or something. I turn around and see the witch on top of her, I shot it and hit it, but it was too late, it killed Zoey.

Steam Profile

105. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 16:18 OpticNerve

The demo's very addictive if you get a 4 player co-op game working on Expert difficulty. They need to introduce more special zombies like the Witch. Nothing changes the atmosphere and gameplay as quickly as when one player says, "wait, I think I hear a witch" Suddenly everyone goes, "turn off the lights!" "lights off" and instead of charging around blasting everything that moves, everyone's cautiously looking around so they don't accidentally run into or shoot at her. It's such a sudden change of pace when you hear a witch crying in the distance.

L4D's just fucking awesome co-op goodness.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 16:21.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

104. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 14:18 JaZeeL

You can't please everyone. They'll get over it or they'll move on.  

103. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 12:48 Dades

It's not a realism game. You say "they could have at least tried" but that's exactly why they didn't try, it's not a realism game. There is nothing realistic about a zombie setting anyways. Just have fun!  

102. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 12:45 jimnms

a) This game isn't about realism.

I know it's not about realism, but when it comes to the weapons, they could have at least tried. At least they didn't use reversed weapon models like some other games, that really hits a nerve when I see games with that (STALKER, FarCry2, etc.).

b) If you've played, you'd know that you do start off with pistols and shotguns, and yes an uzi. And yes you also fight your way to ammo caches farther ahead in the game, and will have the M4, hunting rifle and an auto shotty. As you progress even farther do we get even more weapon choices? We'll find out when the game is released.

That's another little quirk I have with the game. The weapons and ammo are conveniently laying on a table for you in certain places in the game. They could have at least made you break into stores to find supplies, or get them from abandoned military/police vehicles, kind of like when you find the extra pistol on a police car. Maybe have dead military/police/other survivors that you can pick up ammo and weapons from rather than just sitting on a table in the middle of no where.

I think on the harder difficulty levels you should have limited pistol ammo, but give us a bat or stick with nails to bash some zombie heads with.

Steam Profile

101. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 12:23 Krovven

Sent to Blue last night, was hoping he'd post a story this morning...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113

TheBusGuy on the Steam forums has posted a guide on how to get Splitscreen working on the PC for Left 4 Dead using a 360 controller for the other player.

100. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 11:38 Tumbler

I really hate that it plays every damned game for pre-order customers.

Eh? Isn't everyone playing right now a pre-order customer?

Edit : Oh wait, I think you're talking about a splash screen advertising the game? Which seems a little unnecessary since everyone has already pre-ordered it.

Got it. I'm still waiting for my approval code to download the demo.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 11:39.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

99. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 10:48 Dades

I thought it said 10 new weapons but I guess I'll just check it again later. I really hate that it plays every damned game for pre-order customers.  

98. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 08:32 Veinman

The screen at the end says '10 weapons'. I was thinking about everything I saw in the game, and if I'm right, I'd say 10 is stretching it.

1. pistol
2. dual pistol
3. shotgun
4. uzi
5. M16
6. auto-shotty
7. hunting rifle
8. molotov
9. pipe bomb
10. stationary gun

97. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 08:31 Mechanik

One thing I don't like and mentioned it when I saw the videos is that every bullet from every gun is a tracer. I wish they'd turn that off, it's distracting.

I also think the gun selection is a little weird, and unrealistic. The pistol and shotgun I can see being readily available after a zombie infection, but an Uzi? Maybe if this is taking place in Israel, but Uzi's don't hold 50 rounds in the magazine and neither do M-16's.

The pistol resembles an M1911 type but holds 15 rounds, I don't think so. Most M1911 type pistols hold 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine. I have a Para Ordnance P13-45, which is based on the M1911 design, but uses a double stack magazine and holds 13 rounds + 1 in the chamber.

I wish they made it so you would start off with pistols and shotguns, and have to fight your way to a gun shop, pawn store or police station to pick up some better weapons.

The tracers don't really bother me. I think they did it that way because the levels are so dark in many places that it's hard to see where your bullets are impacting otherwise.

Agreed about the guns being handled somewhat unrealistically. It also seems weird in that they seem to consume less ammo than you shoot. E.g., you let a burst off that should really drain your mag, but you've only consumed 10 rounds.

The 1911 could be a double stacked 9mm I guess, in which case 15 round mags would make sense... but it doesn't feel like a 9mm when you shoot it. It definitely feels like a .45. Really though if we're going to get hung up on anything it should be the infinite .45 ammo and not that they changed the mag size. And the infinite piles of ammo and guns laying tables, etc.

There are a lot of dead military folks around (crashed humvee, zombies wearing BDU's), as well as dead cops, so finding tactical firearms laying around is perhaps not totally unrealistic. I agree that the Uzi doesn't really make sense though in this context. If it was the 80's and they raided the local crack den for weapons, maybe I guess.

I'm so used to games being unrealistic about guns though that I can overlook all of this. Let's face it, for the most part, they are targeting these games at people that have never even held a gun in real life, rather than people that go to the range every week like I do (or you do from the sound of it) and use Guns & Ammo as reading material on the toilet. These people are never going to know the difference, and if anything are going to complain that they're running out of ammo too fast. And also, clearly they are trying to emulate the Zombie Movie genre and the stereotypes and cliches that come with it (the movie poster that shows up as your loading screen is clear evidence of this). Cliches in such movies such as guns rarely running out of ammo are a staple. As such, even though I agree with you, it's still a great game and I don't feel it's worth getting hung up on.

96. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 08:04 Bhruic

Ok, see, now we are talking Game of the Year. Never have 5 hours flown by so quickly. I need to get some of my friends playing this.  

95. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 03:07 Krovven

a) This game isn't about realism.

b) If you've played, you'd know that you do start off with pistols and shotguns, and yes an uzi. And yes you also fight your way to ammo caches farther ahead in the game, and will have the M4, hunting rifle and an auto shotty. As you progress even farther do we get even more weapon choices? We'll find out when the game is released.

94. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 02:41 jimnms

One thing I don't like and mentioned it when I saw the videos is that every bullet from every gun is a tracer. I wish they'd turn that off, it's distracting.

I also think the gun selection is a little weird, and unrealistic. The pistol and shotgun I can see being readily available after a zombie infection, but an Uzi? Maybe if this is taking place in Israel, but Uzi's don't hold 50 rounds in the magazine and neither do M-16's.

The pistol resembles an M1911 type but holds 15 rounds, I don't think so. Most M1911 type pistols hold 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine. I have a Para Ordnance P13-45, which is based on the M1911 design, but uses a double stack magazine and holds 13 rounds + 1 in the chamber.

I wish they made it so you would start off with pistols and shotguns, and have to fight your way to a gun shop, pawn store or police station to pick up some better weapons.

Steam Profile

93. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 02:18 Bhruic

Hmm, I tried to pre-order it tonight so I could try out the demo, but got the following error message:

"There has been an internal error calculating pricing for your transaction."

Guess I'll have to wait for the "public" demo.

edit: Oddly it worked when I tried it with the Steam client, but didn't with the website. Oh well, at least I can try the demo now.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 02:22.

92. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 02:06 JaZeeL

Was playing it tonight with my roommate with absolutely no problems at all with matchmaking. I setup a private game, and once we were both in I opened it to public so that it would fill up. One thing I don't like is that it defaults to looking for a dedicated server, and doesn't give you the outright decision to host the game on your own. Luckily, in our case, it couldn't find a dedicated server and allowed me to host it as I preferred.

Lots of fun...just wish it was longer. I can understand why they didn't, but I wish they had given us the whole 'No Mercy' campaign. to try it out.

91. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 01:29 elefunk

Valve? Shaky release? Numerous patches released within days that turn the shaky release into a smooth experience?

NEVER!

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo