Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Ever-industrious Frans has worked a little more of his magic, in this case it is magic of the mobile variety, as he's ironed out the mobile feed for the site. You road warriors can point your mobile device at either wap.bluesnews.com or m.bluesnews.com and you'll be, as The Who once put it, going mobile.

Mobile Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Tree Tower Defence.
Oiligarchy.
Stories: Two U.S. Astronauts Cast Ballots, Vote From Up In Space.
Determined Texas woman, 92, votes in ambulance.
Science: California company says its flying car will be a sci-fi dream come true. Thanks scorsese.fan.
Climate pushing lemmings to cliff.
Dying Mars lander to enter 'Groundhog Day' state.
Media: Freak of Physics Loses and Catches Hat on Free Fall Ride.
Ceiling Leaks into Toilet.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2008, 10:48  Xymph 

Sorry Frans, still dead here. Same symptoms, same error message under "details" tab on the Blackberry. Anything we can do say the word....
Well, I don't know what else I can do besides making sure the WML code validates.
I'd still like to hear whether anything changed for Jeraxle's iPod Touch, or Efflixi's HTC Mogul.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2008, 08:34 Starsky

Sorry Frans, still dead here. Same symptoms, same error message under "details" tab on the Blackberry. Anything we can do say the word....

Fang, any settings you might want to share?

Thanks.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2008, 08:44.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 20:23 Fang

Well, like I mentioned before, it was working for me on my Blackberry at 9 AM. Which is before you made the change. But others were having trouble after that, so I don't know what was the cause/solution.

It still seems to be working fine for me on my Blackberry.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 14:22  Xymph 

The only thing I can try is restrict the number of stories and see if the smaller WML file does load for those that currently have trouble.
Okay, now there's only 10 stories and the WML file is about 10 KB. Does that help for anyone who previously was unable to load the site?

-- Frans

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 14:17  Xymph 

Also getting the Internal server error from my Blackberry...

Additional info says "internal compiler error application/vnd.wap.wmic"
The site is served with the correct content type "text/vnd.wap.wml" so either that 'wmic' is a typo or it is indeed a Blackberry problem.

Looks like a Blackberry issue, yes?

Oops. Forgot to mention I'm using MS Pocket IE emulation mode, and WML and HTML Content Mode.

Hope it might help.
'fraid not, as my knowledge (along with the aforementioned testing capability) is really limited. The only thing I can try is restrict the number of stories and see if the smaller WML file does load for those that currently have trouble.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 14:18.

-- Frans

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 14:12 strich

regardless of the limitations, thanks for doing it Frans!  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:34 Starsky

Also getting the Internal server error from my Blackberry...

Additional info says "internal compiler error application/vnd.wap.wmic"

Looks like a Blackberry issue, yes?

Oops. Forgot to mention I'm using MS Pocket IE emulation mode, and WML and HTML Content Mode.

Hope it might help.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 13:37.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:31 Warhawk

Seems to me that if someone wanted to change someone's mind, you'd politic a few days earlier ...

Nah, Cutter just likes to argue.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:20 banddirector

No, I think we limited it to just a couple days.

And what was even weirder was the politic-ing more or less happened on the day *of* and the day after, but not much before.

Seems to me that if someone wanted to change someone's mind, you'd politic a few days earlier .....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:04  Xymph 

I take it we won't be able to post comments (or see them) from the m version?
No, only the current day news of the frontpage has been converted into a WML version, not the rest of the site.

The whole idea here is to simply make it possible to check the latest news while on the road, rather than make your main browser completely obsolete.

As for looks, I'm fine with how it looks, but if'n ya want to put it in blue or retro colors, you wouldn't get any arguments from me.
Okay, as currently most formatting is stripped out to reduce page size (and to comply with the WML spec) and I think it's just as easy for everyone to keep it that way. Also, layout tweaks are hard to devise or test for me because of the aforementioned lack of testing devices.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:02  Xymph 

Awsome. Can we just get a version of the site design for phones with smaller screens like the iPhone and the g1 (android)?
Uhm, I don't know, as I don't have access to any of these devices and have no idea about their requirements and limitations. I also am not sure it's a good idea to create an array of different mobile sites for the wide variety of devices out there.

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 12:49  Xymph 

Going to either mobile site generates an HTML error and i can't view the site as of 11.06.2008 - 11:09:15.
m.blues is just an alias for wap.bluesnews.com, so there's no point in trying both.

The mobile site right now gets a clean pass from the WML validator, so I'm afraid I don't know what error you could still be getting.

Edit: the only possible cause I can think of now is that of page size, as the WML file is currently 20 KB and that may be too large for some devices (at least it is for the emulator I mentioned earlier). If that's the case I'll need to limit the number of stories on the WAP site, rather than include all of today's stories (which grows quite a bit during the day and especially with the evening update).

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 13:23.

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 12:06 Efflixi

Phone: HTC Mogul
Browser: IE Mobile (not sure exactly what version)
Provider: Sprint

Going to either mobile site generates an HTML error and i can't view the site as of 11.06.2008 - 11:09:15.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 12:09.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 11:46 sponge

Maybe, if you have more info on how it should look. Are there any pointers to formatting and naming conventions for such a format?

You can use standard XHTML if you'd like, however there's another standard HTML Mobile. It's pretty similar to what WML does, except it allows more freedom to design.

See http://m.cnn.com/ and http://foxnews.proteus.com/ for examples. You could literally take the current site, chop out the header, and the navbar on the left and that would be most of the work.

It's basically a step up between WML which is the most basic, and full out (x)HTML as BN uses now.

I could probably try and throw up a mockup sometime this weekend if it'd be any help.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 11:47.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 11:40 blueshirt3k

Awsome. Can we just get a version of the site design for phones with smaller screens like the iPhone and the g1 (android)?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 11:32 Warhawk

More political bullshit here?

Ah good.

No, I think we limited it to just a couple days. In 2012, we will have to schedule a one-hour window for all the political crap and let it fly.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 11:16 Creston

*peeks in*
More political bullshit here?

Ah good. Yay Frans!

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 10:29 Atomic

On my blackberry, I get an internal server error when I try to go to either mobile site.

Seconded.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 10:25 strich

woo! way to go Frans. thanks for doing this. I tend to get locked out of BN from work, so it's nice to be able to visit the site. I take it we won't be able to post comments (or see them) from the m version? As for looks, I'm fine with how it looks, but if'n ya want to put it in blue or retro colors, you wouldn't get any arguments from me.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 09:08 Fang

Its working now on my blackberry. It must have been an early hiccup in the server.

The formatting could use a little more thought though.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo