Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Patched

Though it's not mentioned on the Far Cry 2 Website, a new patch is now available for Far Cry 2 to update the first-person shooter sequel to version 1.01. The game should update itself automatically upon launch, though if you are looking for a manual update, the patch can be downloaded from ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, and The Patches Scrolls. Details on the new version can be found in the Far Cry 2 forums, and an outline of outstanding issues still being investigated by Ubisoft are outlined in this forum post.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. good post ...Bhruic Nov 6, 2008, 09:00 Shataan

"Really? Personally I found it to be a game with an amazing amount of promise, but very little realized."

I totally agree.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Activations Nov 5, 2008, 22:36 g_mann

Is this the patch that makes this game fun??  

53. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 21:38 Kosumo

I found that my attention was completely focused on keeping my gun aimed at my enemies. When I ran out of ammo my player would automatically reload and that is what I assume is happening when the gun jams, the problem is I end up realizing what is happening too late and by the time I'm tapping reload I'm dead.
There is the problem, it sounds like you suck at games.

52. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 20:18 Buckle Down

Itís decent but it feels like they gave up on a bunch of stuff, the environment feels rather void of life, for being set in Africa. Itís very slow to open up, the first 10% of the game or so is a tutorial of sorts. Itís open world but it feels just as restrictive as a linear shooter, they extended the play time by having every mission take place on the opposite side of the map from where you receive your orders, fast travel by bus does help some by allowing you to avoid the many enemy filled checkpoints that obstruct your path.

Missions are fairly unimaginative.

Assassinate (travel to some spot on the map and kill some guy who doesnít put up a fight)
FedEx (go get briefcase / object and bring it back)
Destroy Convoy (this one is a joke, go to some spot on the map and blow up a truck/vehicle driving in circles)
Destroy Object X on the map (go to some spot on the map and blow up an inanimate object)

Uh, thatís really about it. Rinse repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Finding diamonds, just drive around until a green light on your GPS starts to blink and use it to home in on the briefcase location. So far none of them require any great amount of exploration or puzzle solving.

The malaria gimmick isnít that big of deal, you just have to do FedEx missions for the underground to get more drugs, the game tells you when the missions are available if you check the objectives menu every once an awhile.

The main hook that keeps people playing is you unlock guns as you play further into the game by doing 'Destroy Convoy' missions for the gun dealer. After a while the missions stop so you have to wait until you've played the game to about the 50% mark before you get access to all the weapons.

Nice little summary there. Still love the game though.

51. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 20:14 Dades

Plus the install limit is 5 which is pretty generous in my opinion. I don't mind install limits as long as they are reasonable and have a revoke tool.  

50. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 20:13 Buckle Down

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2008, 08:03.

49. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 20:13 DangerDog

What a joke! I think you're a little confused. You DO know Far Cry 2 has "activation limit DRM", right hypocrite?

But you can revoke your activations by uninstalling, something that EA won't let you do.

48. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 20:04 Buckle Down

Actually no. But we are tired of you squawking about it, since that's all you do is troll. You are the only one that seems to give a rats ass, seeing as you are the only one (posting as Dades or Cock A Doodle doesn't count as multiple people)

Uh, I'm not that person. You can verify it with Blue, I'm sure he can see my IP address. People who disagree with you aren't all the same person unless you have a persecution or paranoia complex. You made yourself very vocal and visible on the boards about DRM then you flip-flopped like a politician. I don't see why you'd think that only one or two people would notice that but whatever, thats your problem.

Now, I didn't even flame you in this topic, so kindly remove me from your little dramarama and stop name dropping me in totally unrelated topics.
Since, according to Dagok, only one person can have a problem with him being a hypocrite, we must all be the same person. Pretty arrogant view.

47. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:59 Buckle Down

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2008, 08:03.

46. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:56 Buckle Down

Actually no. But we are tired of you squawking about it, since that's all you do is troll.

Stopped reading right here. Who's "we"? You got a mouse in your pocket?

45. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:54 Creston

And it's not just that gun that jams, my sniper rifle and uzi jam with annoying regularity too.

The Uzi is an unreliable weapon. Which sniper rifle are you using? There's a lot of difference in reliability. Most of my weapons never jam, or only if I've been away from a weapons dealer for three hours or so.

One annoying thing is that the top end weapons all jam much more regularly than the low end trash. I can understand the AK-47 being the most reliable assault rifle, but really, an AR-16 is less reliable than that starting trash you get at the beginning of the game which was made by Malaysian sweatshop children?

I love the USAS-12 but it jams like a motherfucker

Creston

44. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:53 Buckle Down

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2008, 08:04.

43. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:51 Creston

The patch seems to have broke the FOV hack :< Run it and it crashes to desktop.

Yeah Racer_S confirmed the hack is only for 1.00, which makes sense as it intercepts the memory address spaces used by the FC2.exe.

He might make another, but I just uninstalled and killed the autopatcher before it could do anything. 1.0 is absolutely fine for me, and 1.1 just fucks shit up.

Creston

42. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:49 Bhruic

The map obscures your driving view? The top of the map doesn't go above the top of the dash for me, except maybe a little in one of the vehicles, so I don't see how it would obscure your view and not mine.

No, not physically, but it makes the rest of the screen darker when you have the map out. It's most noticable at night, as I said. I suppose I could adjust the gamma, but I dislike doing that.

41. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:46 Krovven

I can say with definite certainty I have not had any of the Sniper Rifles jam on me, ever. I was thinking about the MG, it probably has jammed on me, but not enough for me to notice. I probably just instantly hit my reload button thinking I ran outta ammo.

2 to 3 missions may be too long depending on how much action they saw. If you are the run and gun type of player, you may be going through far more shots than I am per mission. I generally take out a few enemies silently with pistol, machette or MP5 until I attract more attention, then use nades to blow up cars, barrels, etc. So by the time I get to using full auto weapons there isn't many enemies left. But if I'm going anywhere near a Weapons Dealer I'll get fresh versions of the weapons off the wall, or change weapons altogether, so jams haven't been annoying for me at all.

The map obscures your driving view? The top of the map doesn't go above the top of the dash for me, except maybe a little in one of the vehicles, so I don't see how it would obscure your view and not mine.

40. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:39 Reactor

I agree with Creston. It's by far the best (most fun) fps game I've played in years.  

39. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:17 Bhruic

Do you swap the weapon out for another when you goto the Garage Arsenal? Or do you keep using and never switch out?

I swap them out fairly frequently, probably every 2-3 missions. And it's not just that gun that jams, my sniper rifle and uzi jam with annoying regularity too. Maybe my guy just has no idea how to do proper weapon maintenance or something, but it's pretty damn annoying.

Doesn't impede my view, and I can have the character look down freely if I need to briefly.

I do that fairly often, but having it open, especially at night, really affects visibility. I have trouble seeing the terrain with it open.

38. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 19:13 Zuckuss

The patch seems to have broke the FOV hack :< Run it and it crashes to desktop.  

37. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 18:25 Krovven

The m249 SAW allowed 500 rounds with the ammo upgrade. I would never make it through all 500 rounds without the weapon jamming.

Odd. I've had the weapon since near the beginning of the game, and frequently use it as my Special Weapon when I have a sniper rifle as my Primary. And I don't think I've ever had it jam on me yet...this is the Dealer purchased gun. Do you swap the weapon out for another when you goto the Garage Arsenal? Or do you keep using and never switch out? They still degrade, just take a lot longer when you buy it. I honestly rarely have weapon jams. Everytime I go by the Arsenal, I switch out the weapons for fresh ones and like I said I rarely get a gun jamming.

the little mini-map you get always rotates the map instead of the cursor.

Yea I don't like that either and prefer a static map...that's why I often have the Map open when I'm driving. Doesn't impede my view, and I can have the character look down freely if I need to briefly.

36. Re: Far Cry 2 Patched Nov 5, 2008, 18:13 Bhruic

Game of the year in my book.

Really? Personally I found it to be a game with an amazing amount of promise, but very little realized. The respawning has been touched on repeatedly, so I won't go into that. There's also very little mission depth (either go kill X, or go get Y). There's no factionalization, that is, I can't choose to just work for the APR, I'm forced to work for both.

Weapons do jam way too frequently, and no, I'm not talking about ones picked up from enemies, which I rarely did. The m249 SAW allowed 500 rounds with the ammo upgrade. I would never make it through all 500 rounds without the weapon jamming.

The map also feels extremely lifeless. I know that all the civilians are supposed to have fled, etc, but even still, I'd expect more activity than I see. The only "random" encounters seem to be the vehicles driving around, who seem to have only a single AI type - ram your vehicle. If someone is driving around in an assault vehicle with a grenade launcher up top, ramming them with a car is a decidely stupid tactic. But leaving that aside, that's about it. Everyone outside the "neutral zones" are hostile, there are no random foot patrols, no enemy encounters (that is, APR meeting up with the JPLL).

And one of the more annoying, although simple things, is the fact that in vehicles, the little mini-map you get always rotates the map instead of the cursor.

In the end, I'd have to say that I'm disappointed with the game, despite the fact that there are some very fun parts. I'm not sure whether they'll support much modding, but I think it wouldn't be that difficult to turn it into a much better game. Hopefully that'll happen. As it stands now, not even close to game of the year for me.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo