Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Western Hellgate Revival

A post to the Hellgate: London Forums by a NAMCO BANDAI's Diane "Tiggs" Migliaccio indicates that despite recent indications that HanbitSoft is continuing development of Hellgate: London, the action/RPG will be going offline for the US and Europe at the end of January as previously announced, saying: "People are speculating and I don't want anyone shocked on January 31, 2009 when the server and forums shut down and there is nothing." She goes on to explain Hanbit does not have the rights to publish the game in the territories that NAMCO is going to stop supporting, saying: "Hanbit owns the IP and rights to publish anywhere other then the US and EU and I think the other territory is Japan. NAMCO owns the rights to publish in the US and EU." Thanks Mike Martinez and Gamasutra.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 5, 2008, 05:41 Shadowcat

Guys... Come on. Don't make this about Hanbit failing their 'Western' Customers when they never had the rights to begin with!
I can't see anyone here suggesting otherwise? The only post that might have caused confusion was mine, I guess, but I wasn't directing any ill feeling towards Hanbit whatsoever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 23:37 UnderLord

Hey NAMCO!
Just so you know, Australia isn't Austria and IS NOT part of the EU! :-)

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 23:37.

16. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 23:08 Frijoles

At least the single player campaign will still work.. until I uninstall and the patches are gone. Hmm.. guess I should grab those. Then again, the single player campaign was abandoned there at the end. I guess the multiplayer was too.  

15. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 19:58 mixma242

Guys... Come on. Don't make this about Hanbit failing their 'Western' Customers when they never had the rights to begin with! They seem to be decent enough to continue supporting their customers even when the 'Western' licensee tells theirs to FO.

When you ask why Hanbit doesn't offer to also support 'Western' customers I think it's because A) They don't own the rights B) The rights owner hasn't been willing to transfer the rights to Hanbit for free.

If you need to get grumpy, get grumpy at Namco.

14. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 19:41 Dades

Namco isn't exactly a good western brand for PC gamers anyways, I doubt they really care. The game already failed on several levels, no point in reviving it in territories where it wasn't successful.  

13. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:42 Shadowcat

Agreed. This is serious 'WTF?' territory. There's nothing to stop them from extending a limited license to Hanbit, with the proviso that NAMCO can retract it at a future date if they ever actually step back up and start running it themselves.

Why create bad blood between you and the western subscribers (who absolutely WILL hold a grudge) when there's a perfectly good solution just sitting there waiting?

Unless Hanbit doesn't have the resources (hardware and support infrastructures) to operate the game in western regions, that is.

12. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:40 Overon

I think the game is a complete joke but this is terrible news for those that actually like the game.
Of all the games to play right now for pc and yes even consoles, why would you play hellgate london? WHY?! Wall

11. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:23 theyarecomingforyou

So it's going to die in the US and Europe simply because the company taking over isn't allowed to distribute it in those territories, not because it actually needs to be shut down. I think the game is a complete joke but this is terrible news for those that actually like the game. What harm would there be giving HanbitSoft a licence to run the game in all territories? None.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Lifetime subscribers... Nov 4, 2008, 18:15 ivor84

Let this POS die please!  

9. Lifetime subscribers... Nov 4, 2008, 18:09 JohnBirshire

Subscribed for the lifetime of the game. Theoretically, they got exactly what they paid for.

8. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:05 Krovven

So it needed to last 15 months for a lifetimer to make their subscription worthwhile, and 16+ months for it to be a better deal than going monthly.

Game lasted 15 months (Late Oct 07 to Late Jan 09)

It'll have been free to play for 4 months in January when it's shut down. My guess is this is why they aren't shutting down until January, to avoid lawsuits from Lifetime Subscribers.

They were also promised additional content at no extra cost every 3 months. They only saw one of those updates, and it was craptastic from what I hear.

7. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 18:02 Overon

Take your money and run. Where are all the Hellgate fanboys now? Wiseguy  

6. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:59 Fion

Tiggs should move on to another MMOG company now that everyone else is. She's been fun to chat with in SWG, LotOR and HGL, wonder where we'll see he next.  

5. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:52 necrosis

Ahh thanks. Knowing that I think that might be why the servers going down is held off till Jan.  

4. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:46 Aybara

Pretty sure Lifetime was $150.

Game was $10 a month.

So it needed to last 15 months for a lifetimer to make their subscription worthwhile, and 16+ months for it to be a better deal than going monthly.

Game lasted 15 months (Late Oct 07 to Late Jan 09)

3. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:23 necrosis

I was wondering:

<Cost of lifetime membership> / <Cost per month> = <How many months?>

and does

<How many months?> = <How long the game is actually staying online?>

Basically how much were "lifetime" members jipped out of?

2. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:21 Talisorn

NAMCO Truncheon ... meet Sphincter. Even when there's a solution to those players who want to play, NAMCO still fold onto their "rights" to fuck those players over.

While I'm not playing, I can understand the frustration felt by those poor sods who still enjoy the game.

1. Re: No Western Hellgate Revival Nov 4, 2008, 17:10 nin

"Thanks for those Founders Memberships! Now GTFO!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo