Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios

Gamasutra reports that in the wake of the closing of Flagship Studios, Bill Roper has joined Cryptic Studios as design director on Champions Online, Cryptic's upcoming superhero MMORPG. The story quotes Cryptic Studios CEO John Needham saying: "Bill brings a ton of creative energy to the Cryptic office and we’re thrilled to have him join our team. His years of gaming and online experience are huge assets to all of our projects, and Bill will assist us in furthering our studio’s vision to create innovative, exciting MMO gameplay."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Nov 4, 2008, 16:10 Prez

This is about the best possible place for Roper, short of maybe the janitor at the pulp plant where I work. I hate MMO's with a passion and couldn't care less if he ruins all of them.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Nov 4, 2008, 13:25 Undocumented Alien

But he plays the trombone at medieval festivals, why wouldn't you want talent like that?  

39. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Nov 4, 2008, 12:21 Creston

Fuck. Assholes like Roper always manage to find another fucking job in the industry.

Let's see :

- Completely bungled a game? Check!
- Managed to massively infuriate nearly his entire customer base? Check!
- Absolutely incapable of running a studio? Check!
- Came up with the dumbest Pay-to-Play system ever invented? Check!

Damn, he sounds like a great fucking hire! Let's get him!

Idiots.

Creston

38. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios Nov 4, 2008, 08:18 monkay

You want a lifetime of disappointments?
No, just a lifetime of robbing retards who paid for a lifetime sub for Hellgate.

To be serious, it's probably a good thing. This time he doesn't get to make bad business decisions. So perhaps Roper has a chance to get back some of his lost reputation while at Flagship.

37. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 4, 2008, 06:46 The Half Elf

Brings nothing new to MMO's? Complete freeform character creation, including animations and colors is nothing new to the table?
Creating your own Arch Nemesis is nothing new either?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. do-goody-good bullshit Nov 3, 2008, 22:54 space captain

The fact that one part of the business plan was absurd, doesn't make the whole game bad.

this is true, although IMO its not the point

that ridiculously pernicious (i would say, rather than absurd) part of the business plan is the real "bad" part - and its just not something i feel the need to overlook in pursuit of some kind of entertainment equality or 'gaming correctness'

in gambling, its what you would call a 'tell' - and a very revealing one at that.. its one (dumbass) man's voice - and yet it is very key, very poignant for this particular time. although perhaps most people would not consider Roper a mouthpeice for the unconsciousness of the game industry, that is mostly because their radar range is limited by the coconut shell devices they use..

unfortunately his "business plan" gaffe is evidential of the current state of market saturation for the game industry, of that type which draws the bottom feeding and shark-like instincts to ooze forth and begin their feasting en masse

there is a great difference between a fair exchange of currency for quality goods, and the fleecing of a customer with flashy marketing and shoddy merchandise - and keeping the balance shifted to the former should be of great concern to the consumer, and ideally to the market itself as well

when game developers are more concerned about "monetization" rather than "recreation", dont be surprised when those games turn out to be more like a carrot on a stick than something that is actually fun

or perhaps that is what is fun for people? being led by the nose and told by others what to do, and what to really think.. maybe im just a fucking lunatic for not wanting that - but thankfully, there are at least a few others out there as well

Go forth, and kill!

35. Re: SuckBuy Nov 3, 2008, 21:40 Stormsinger

I went in BestBuy last week to buy Fallout 3 and they still have Hellgate London on a shelf for $19.99 (it's also on their website). Didn't BestBuy get the memo about the status of the game? They should immediately remove the game from both store fronts. Selling this game to a customer when its going to expire in a couple months is egregious.

Expire? The game's a perfectly playable single-player game, you know. Well worth a measly $20. I find I'm still playing it occasionally. That actually makes it one of the best $/hr values out of all the games I've bought in the last year.

The fact that one part of the business plan was absurd, doesn't make the whole game bad.

34. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 20:15 ColoradoHoudini

I already had zero hope for this title due to the fact that it won't bring a damn new thing to the table as far as MMO's and the superhero theme goes..
Now.. now... I don't care one bit about this title.

good luck, with your shallow game and idiot design director.

33. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 19:27 The Half Elf

I disagre when Jack was hands on with CoH, he had a very strict policy of 'Risk vs Reward'. When Jack was working on CoH gameplay mechanics were being watched and adjusted so that they couldn't be exploited. Things such as herding, fire/fire tanks, stopping player movement when attacking, blasters abusing fly, etc.

Since Matt Positron took over 2 things have happened. 1) He's a tightwad, if it can't be done in X amount of time with the least amount of work required then they will throw it in the game and see what happens. Also City of Heroes is the easiest and most exploited MMO to come from North America.
From Power Leveling a toon from start to max level in several days easy, there are so many overpowered classes that need a nerf nuke.
Content wise there has been such a horrible mix mash of stuff that it's sorta a nightmare.

Actually numbers for the powers was implemented after Positron took over the game (which he has been in command of since City of Villains), but before the official announcement of the sale of CoH to NCSoft. And the Out of Combat Skill System was Axed because it couldn't be done with the limitations of CoH's engine.

Overall the only reason I play CoH is basically to keep in contact with friends until my account runs out this month. It's basically become the Runescape of pay to play MMO's.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios Nov 3, 2008, 19:06 space captain

ooh ooh where can i buy a lifetime subscription?? gotta have it now!  
Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios Nov 3, 2008, 17:50 HellSlayer

Just like John Romero, I am sure Bill Roper has talents. I believe that running a business is not a strong point for him,but game design director sounds like a good place for him since he will be brain storming and leading the flow with others at Cryptic. He will not be in charge of any business decisions, at least that is what it sounds like to me. A sense of moral and business clarity is needed to run a successful business and I do not think he has either based on how he treated his community. With that said, I do think he did a good job with Blizzard when he wasn't in charge of any of the business decisions.  
o0

30. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 16:21 Flatline

CEO and Design Director are very similar positions in that both put you in charge of a large group of colleagues.

Oh god please. That's like saying a sysadmin is very similar to CEO, because you're responsible for the daily running of a company.

If I try hard enough, I can make nearly any job seem "similar" to a CEO.

29. Re: Nov 3, 2008, 16:11 Warskull

Now they just need to hire a person whose full time job is to follow Roper around all day and every time he has a bad idea, slap him and shout "NO." Then everything will turn out fine.  

28. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 14:25 Slashman

CEO and Design Director are very similar positions in that both put you in charge of a large group of colleagues. I have no problem with someone being hired for this position when they've shown they can do the job. Here's why it's bad for Cryptic. There's plenty of Flagship staff blogs noting how Bill didn't show up to Flagship for months, and that he basically left his crew in disarray trying to figure out how to salvage HGL as best they could. And the few times he did actually show up he acted like a seagull manager (google this term). This ISN'T design director material. Actually this isn't any kind of director material.

How he was able to talk his way into the position probably speaks volumes to the kind of communication skills Bill possesses. Bill might be better suited for Cryptic's marketing department.

Ok...I may concede my ignorance of how close the 2 positions are in reality. Still, if he's absent for that length of time from the day to day operations of his project and there is only a little time left, then either Cryptic management aren't worried about it or they have no clue how they should be running a business in the first place.

That still tends to point more to it being Cryptic's fault and less Roper's.

The truth is that Jack Emmert himself held back City of Heroes for a long time with outmoted ideas of what should and should not be allowed in an MMO. Things like actually seeing the numbers behind your powers and lack of stats along with weird ideas in terms of balance and other things(like axing the proposed out of combat skill system). I'd think he was more a threat to Champions than Roper could be at this point.

27. Re: Wrong studio! Nov 3, 2008, 14:15 Zaibach

He should have joined EA instead.  

26. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 14:00 The Half Elf

Well he is the Design Director on Champions Online which is slated for a April release (as announced during Star Trek Online's event), but still this is Cryptic's second game, using a very beloved pen and paper franchise and going up against City of Heroes (which shouldn't be hard to do at this point).

And wtf is Jack doing? His background with Comics and Pen and Paper games, makes him extremly qualifyed to be the head on Champions, but he isn't on this or Star Trek Online.

25. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios Nov 3, 2008, 13:43 nin

nin you forgot how it gave you diabetes too!

That's in exciting Update 5, coming next fall!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 13:36 Kxmode

@Slashman

CEO and Design Director are very similar positions in that both put you in charge of a large group of colleagues. I have no problem with someone being hired for this position when they've shown they can do the job. Here's why it's bad for Cryptic. There's plenty of Flagship staff blogs noting how Bill didn't show up to Flagship for months, and that he basically left his crew in disarray trying to figure out how to salvage HGL as best they could. And the few times he did actually show up he acted like a seagull manager (google this term). This ISN'T design director material. Actually this isn't any kind of director material.

How he was able to talk his way into the position probably speaks volumes to the kind of communication skills Bill possesses. Bill might be better suited for Cryptic's marketing department.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 13:46.

23. Re: Bill Roper Joins Cryptic Studios Nov 3, 2008, 13:24 Undocumented Alien

Also, any moron who dropped a lifetime sub on an unproven game franchise by a startup company well...I won't say they deserve it but they're in the same league as retards who drop $500.00 on HDMI cables

Agreed.

22. Re: An Open Letter To Cryptic Nov 3, 2008, 13:22 Slashman

Given Bill Roper's track record can you honestly trust your company in his hands? I would encourage you to not only fire him immediately but to also warn other company's away from hiring him.

So now Design Director = CEO?

The man's track record is a single failed game and failed game company...preceded by work on a very successful game/franchise. They aren't letting him run the whole friggin company. And if they were, I'd say it was a big mistake.

You're acting like he's actively trying to repeat Hellgate:London with Champions. I'm not all that enthusiastic about Champions on the whole, but that's from the consolization direction that I see them headed in. The guy was looking for a job and he's found one.

All this overreaction is silly.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo