Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Owie, I feel asleep on the couch last night, and now I have a sharp pain in my neck every time I turn my head to the right. Hopefully this will clear up before people start calling me Igor. What hump?

Humpy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Links: The 7 Most Impressive (And Depressing) Geek Collections.
Top 10 Greatest Gaming Achievements. Thanks Digg. I've never done one.
Stories: Michigan bowler dies moments after 300 game. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: MadTV Dateline bit of George Lucas as a megalomaniac loser.
Windu vs Palpatine - The way it should've been (8secs).
Darn schools and their slippery hallways!
The Funnies: ActionTrip Comic Strip- A Powerful Weapon.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 4, 2008, 07:39 Enahs

Comparing peoples votes for candidates is not like comparing something else. Most other things, people might think, such as in the video example of the weight of an ox.

Most people vote how they do because "democrats good, republicans bad" or "republicans good, democrats bad".

Go ask a thousands people that are democrats why they are democrats, most will not have a real answer why, and the same for republican.

It is pathetic.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 07:39.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 4, 2008, 05:44 jimnms

That's not the point. Its not about privilege but instead it is about using freedoms with responsibility. The point is many or most people aren't informed enough to vote. That's not their fault. Politics is extremely complicated. That's my point. Encouraging people to vote might not be good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FonWBEb0o

Steam Profile

39. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 22:18 Warhawk

Yup, the republicans are going with the lowest common denominator, she is in for no other reason then she is a woman, absolutly no credentials whatsoever and is proving that every single time she opens her mouth.

Funny, I am trying to figure out how Obama's legislative experience (as little as he has) qualifies him any more than her experience as a governor.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - he ran his campaign!

Barack Obama contends that he is more experienced in executive matters than Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because he has managed his presidential campaign for the past 18 months.

Speaking on a cable news channel Monday night, the Democratic presidential nominee said he is better prepared to handle a disaster like Hurricane Gustav because of his pursuit of the White House.

"Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has, I think, 50 employees. We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years," Obama said.

John McCain's spokesman called the suggestion "laughable."

"For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and its laughable. It is a testament to Barack Obama's inexperience and failing qualifications that he would stoop to passing off his candidacy as comparable to Governor Sarah Palin's executive experience managing a budget of over $10 billion and more than 24,000 employees," said spokesman Tucker Bounds.

Republican National Committee Victory 2008 Chairwoman Carly Fiorina also blasted the Democratic campaign.

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palinís experience. The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a mayor and governor than Barack Obama has made in his life," Fiorina said.

I would rather have an inexperienced VP than inexperienced P. But hey, that is just me.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 22:18.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

38. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 20:48 skyguy

I could hear the national anthem playing in the background while reading blue's post.

37. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 20:37 WarPig

As an old guy, born in 1962 - right in the middle of the civil rights movement, I'm just so happy that an African American (OK, half - whatever) is even being considered as our next president. We still have a lot of problems in this country, and race intolerance is still one of them, but we've certainly come a long, long way from a time where even though I was just a kid, I still remember the over the top ugliness.

And maybe, just maybe, our great nation's hatred can be re-focused on what really threatens us in these dire times!

GO SEAHAWKS!

36. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 20:35 banddirector

I guess people did not realize BD was joking......such tards.

I guess I should have used some kind of smiley ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

35. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 20:05 Enahs

I guess people did not realize BD was joking......such tards.

You are also tards for blaming just Bush and Cheney for the last 8 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers_under_the_United_States_Constitution

To think a new person in the White House with a different name will change all that is sorta silly.

- W. C. Fields

34. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 19:10 PHJF

See, I can make stupid comments too!

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize the only reason McCain picked Palin was to NOT cherry-pick Hillary voters. My bad, Palin was clearly the best choice. I guess that has nothing to do with Powell endorsing Obama, either.

And it should be noted that McCain is now running a Reverend Wright ad hominem (as if he ran any other kind), forsaking what semblance of dignity he still had.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

33. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 19:07 Yosemite Sam

I just assume that if you're stupid enough to vote for McCain after the absolutely, dreadfully shallow low-road he's taken during the last 6 months then your mind can't be changed. I used to respect the guy, but as soon as he picked Palin he lost all credibility.

Yup, the republicans are going with the lowest common denominator, she is in for no other reason then she is a woman, absolutly no credentials whatsoever and is proving that every single time she opens her mouth. The only thing she has been able to do is spout hate rhetoric. I swear sometimes you look at Mcain and you can see he cant belive how low his party has stooped. Watching the Palin rallys sometimes you would think it was a KKK rally, the hate spewing from her supporters and she just smiles away like its great, reminds me of pre-ww2 german rallys, just spewing hate.

And after Obama wins, you had better hunker in the bunker, because every whack-job terrorist with a cause is gonna tee off on the USA.

I doubt it, but after all the hate propoganda thats been going through the republican camp these last few months, you can bet your bottom dollar that all the american crazys are going to be gunning for Obama. Sad really, Mcain wins and your country will continue to spiral down, Obama your only real hope of pulling your country out of the steaming pile of shit Bush has left it in will probaly not survive his term becuase of the fueled hate of this election by the republicans, well more presisely Palin.

There is that enough pre election vote for so-and-so for ya

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

32. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 18:45 nin

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Hehehehehe...kinda my thought, too.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 18:37 banddirector

I just assume that if you're stupid enough to vote for McCain after the absolutely, dreadfully shallow low-road he's taken during the last 6 months then your mind can't be changed. I used to respect the guy, but as soon as he picked Palin he lost all credibility

Now that's what I'm talking about!

And after Obama wins, you had better hunker in the bunker, because every whack-job terrorist with a cause is gonna tee off on the USA.

See, I can make stupid comments too!

30. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 18:17 PHJF

I just assume that if you're stupid enough to vote for McCain after the absolutely, dreadfully shallow low-road he's taken during the last 6 months then your mind can't be changed. I used to respect the guy, but as soon as he picked Palin he lost all credibility.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 18:00 nin

Something interesting to note this year: in the past two presidential elections, there has been a relatively high amount of vitriol from many posters here that is strangely absent this year. I was expecting a lot of "Vote for XXX or you're an idiot" but there's hardly been any of that.

Are Blue's posters getting more polite, or is it they aren't all that thrilled with the candidate choices? I know I fall into the latter category. Although I think Sarah Palin is hot ....

I was actually discussing that with Blue in email this morning...

Hint: Examine this weeks logo closely ...

edit: And I'm very excited about my candidate...

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 18:02.

28. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 17:48 banddirector

Something interesting to note this year: in the past two presidential elections, there has been a relatively high amount of vitriol from many posters here that is strangely absent this year. I was expecting a lot of "Vote for XXX or you're an idiot" but there's hardly been any of that.

Are Blue's posters getting more polite, or is it they aren't all that thrilled with the candidate choices? I know I fall into the latter category. Although I think Sarah Palin is hot ....

27. Top 10 Greatest Gaming Achievements Nov 3, 2008, 17:38 necrosis

#5: Reach Level 60 - World of Warcraft (PC)

What? Are you stupid? You can get lvl 60 in 2 weeks! Hitting the game level cap (especially the old cap of 60) should NEVER be considered a big achievement especially considering others on that list are far more noteworthy.

26. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 16:19 Warhawk

That's something I was going to bring up, but forgot: When I went to vote, I didn't have to present any form of ID. I filled out my name, address, and DOB, they looked it up on the computer, and gave me a ballot.

I had my driver's license out, and they never bothered to ask for it...

WTF?

Now come on, why would you really want to know who is voting when you hand out a ballot? You would probably be offending someone to prove who they are. Ucrazy

That is one thing that kills me, though, is that everyone should have to provide ID at the time of voting (or a signature, etc., by absentee). This voting without ID is insane.

And don't get me started on Proposition 8 here in California....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

25. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 16:10 nin

I am not running for president or actually trying to put these policies in place.

Dude, this was your year! "Hate '08!"

"Hate '12!" doesn't sound nearly as catchy...

24. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 16:04 Bhruic

Encourage people to vote, encourage people to learn, encourage people to think. Don't tell anyone they are too stupid or uninformed to participate, that seems counter-productive.

Well, I like the last two, but the first one should be only available if the other two are.

I really don't think people should be voting about something they don't know about. Let's take a hypothetical vote - let's say we're having a vote about whether video games should be banned. Do you want people who have never played a video game, never looked into them, and don't really have a valid idea of what's involved with them to be voting? Do you think they have the necessary information to have a valid opinion?

I agree with you that it's difficult, if not impossible, to come up with any system of deciding who does or does not have enough information to vote. But that doesn't mean that everyone needs to be encouraged to vote. I'd much rather people who didn't know anything about the candidates or their positions stay home rather than voting - regardless of which side they'd vote for.

23. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 16:01 Enahs

Don't tell anyone they are too stupid or uninformed to participate, that seems counter-productive.

What if it is the truth though? Cause I am afraid it is.
Encouraging stupid people to vote does not seem like a winning solution to me.
Encouraging stupid people to not be so stupid seems like a better choice to me.

And do not go "who decides what is considered stupid", I am not running for president or actually trying to put these policies in place. If you do say it, I will have to tell you how much I hate you!

The human race is probably going to go crazy and kill off 95% of the population within the next 50 years. I say we vote Pedro in office and have some fun until then.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 16:11.

- W. C. Fields

22. Re: DONT VOTE Nov 3, 2008, 15:24  Blue 

Its not about privilege but instead it is about using freedoms with responsibility.

My point is simply that it's a slippery slope trying to create a dividing line for who is well-informed enough to participate in a democracy.

Besides, encouraging people to vote does not discourage them from being informed. What does someone making the observation that uninformed people should not vote doing? He's not speaking to the uninformed, they aren't watching. He's being contrary.

I think a more constructive approach is to encourage people to participate in the process. People tend to pay more attention to the world around them as they grow older, but voting is thought to be a habit that starts young or not at all. Encourage people to vote, encourage people to learn, encourage people to think. Don't tell anyone they are too stupid or uninformed to participate, that seems counter-productive.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 10:46.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo