Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 3, 2008, 07:47 dryden555

games that stream data constantly (like Fable 2) will benefit the most because read speed is so slow on the DVD drive. No more hearing the DVD drive work hard. So streaming games will see a real benefit. Some games will load slightly faster but that's all you get for benefit with those games.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 20:23 space captain

"you dont like Soda? who doesnt like Soda?! Its bubbly! Its refreshing!!"  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 15:22 Cyanotetyphas

From the PS3 side of the ocean, let me advise you guys that the hard drive installs seem to only minimally speed things up.

They also make it a real pain to only have 80 gigs. I could expand it myself I guess but I wish Sony had been a bit more progressive.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 15:17 peteham

Too bad the greedy pigs charge two arms and a leg for 120GB drives, though.. Giving gamers the ability to go with any drive for their PS3s is something Sony should get loads of cred for. They could easily have followed the same greedy proprietary peripheral route as MS. And let's not even talk about Nintendo.

I'll definitely want to replace my 20GB drive now, but I doubt I'll bother until the time of the next RROD comes around and I exchange the whole box for an Elite... You could easily get a standard 500GB drive for what they're asking for the thing, and that stings a little too much in the general principle department.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 15:20.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 14:34 Fang

From my understanding, it's any game.  

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 14:11 Tumbler

I can't wait to load games on the 360 HDD. This option is long overdue. Between Netflix streaming movies and this it's like christmas has come early...

Is this an option in game? (IE in fable 2?) or is it something that the new interface offers so you can do this on any game. I'd love to see how mass effect plays with this. Maybe the elevators will move faster!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 11:51 dryden555

being able to copy a 360 game to the hardrive to make loading faster is imho huge huge news.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 09:25 The Half Elf

If you are actually playing Red Faction 3 you get what you deserve

But I have to ask... considering there will be mod tools for Fallout 3, why even bother playing it on a console?

I await a higher res texture mod.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 09:27.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 1, 2008, 08:13 Hump

Red Faction... yeesh.
'We had to bring in extra help' whine whine whine.
Y'know what? Call the guys who wrote the Burnout Paradise engine. Or the PhyreEngine? Fuck it, how about the Unreal Engine? Ask them how they did it.

You need to understand that Red Faction 3 has FULLY destructible environments. Not dynamic textures/shaders that LOOK like they're breaking apart but the actual geometry in this game can change and increase exponentially within seconds. Thats a huge amount of memory required. Bear in mind that on top of all that, the system STILL has to process the AI routines, keep the graphics looking pretty and all the rest of the standard stuff that games like you mentioned do. Playing the beta one could see the systems struggling to keep up with the load. I'm sure the PC version will actually be superior this time out simply because of this fact.

I hope they pull it off because even though the performance was lousy, the gameplay was a helluva lot of fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. 360 hard drive Oct 31, 2008, 20:51 Charlie_Six

Being able to rip 360 games to the hard drive is going to solve the #1 problem I have with my 360: the freaking loud DVD ROM drive.

I'll have nothing to complain about anymore (unless I get another RROD).

Meanwhile, my PS3 is still getting sloppy releases of multi-platform games. D'oh!

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2008, 18:41 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Great, and I got the PS3 version in the mail today. Oh well, maybe it's not that bad. I tried the PC version and it ran fine on low/medium settings, but the keybindings are broken if you don't use WASD. Really sloppy, Bethesda.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2008, 18:20 Tanto Edge

Wow.
I love my PS3. No seriously.
I play Fallout 3 on PC, and with hardware that I used to play Morrowind! It runs great.
The problems they list in the PS3 version though? I dunno, I've seen similiar issues on the PC side of things.

Red Faction... yeesh.
'We had to bring in extra help' whine whine whine.
Y'know what? Call the guys who wrote the Burnout Paradise engine. Or the PhyreEngine? Fuck it, how about the Unreal Engine? Ask them how they did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo