Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans - Updated

Update: EA has corrected this report, saying APOC's statement is not accurate. Original Story: A post on the EA Support Forums from APOC, online community manager for Electronic Arts, outlines a new policy for their new forums, saying users who earn a ban based on their behavior in the forums will be locked out of all of the EA games tied to that account. Thanks Ripten. Word is:

Well, its actually going to be a bit nastier for those who get banned.

Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same. And you'd actually be banned from your other EA games as well since its all tied to your account. So if you have SPORE and Red Alert 3 and you get yourself banned on our forums or in-game, well, your SPORE account would be banned to. It's all one in the same, so I strongly reccommend people play nice and act mature.

All in all, we expect people to come on here and abide by our ToS. We hate banning people, it makes our lives a lot tougher, but its what we have to do.

Those banned will stay banned, but like most other internet services, its not that hard to create a new fake e-mail account. However, its a lot harder to get a new serial key =)

Avatars should be back within 2 weeks of the launch.

-APOC

View
137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

137. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 17:53 Tanto Edge

No problem, and thank you.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

136. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 17:42 Tigger

Omigod, are you dense?
I said: I MEANT to say: privilege.

So if you meant privilege, then you just don't communicate well.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your poor communication.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

135. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 15:08 Tanto Edge

Omigod, are you dense?
I said: I MEANT to say: privilege.

edit: i.. not e.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2008, 15:09.

134. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 14:40 Tigger

This can go one step further. If you are NOT a worthless piece of shit you can actually sue someone for slander; if you can prove that such slander caused financial hardship.

Ha!

But you are forgetting that you have to be able to actually prove you aren't a worthless piece of shit. Then you have to convince a lawyer as well!

--
Tigger

133. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 14:36 Tigger

I meant, privilege, not a freedom. Go back and re-read my post Tigger.
How that ONE word just stood out at you, I'll never know.

OK, I re-read your post. Here is what you said:

Freedom of speech as per the private sector is a freedom not a right, agreed.

and

Edit 2: I wonder if we could get Jack Thompson to fight for our rights to freedom of speech in a private sector?

Nowhere does it say anything about it being a privilege.

Nowhere does it even imply that you think it is a privilege.

Right and privilege have 2 completely different meanings. So if you meant privilege, then you just don't communicate well. If that's the case, then I'm sorry that I misunderstood your poor communication.

--
Tigger

132. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 13:24 Tanto Edge

Good fucking lord, seriously!?
I would reprimand this asshat big time if I were his superior.
Causing mass hysteria amongst EA game owners because of his 'misunderstanding'?

How can his job be so fucking complicated he couldn't get it straight?
I hope he gets in a car crash, that fucking goof.
There is no reason someone so stupid should be in a position to 'inform' the masses. Furthermore if he can't get something like His Company's Policies straight (and he's one of the head fuckwits) I REALLY don't think I want to be on the bandwagon therein.

131. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 10:51 Jackplug

This does sound like the terrorism act in america where you cant say
boo about the goverment or else.

All I can say is that EA arnt gonna sell many games then if they are
acting like Hitlers, as they are doing with the PC & the DRM bullshit.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2008, 10:52.

130. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 31, 2008, 01:30 Kxmode

Freedom of speech as per the private sector is a freedom not a right, agreed.

Go read the Constitution.

Telling someone they are a worthless piece of shit on someone's forum is NOT protected speech.

This can go one step further. If you are NOT a worthless piece of shit you can actually sue someone for slander; if you can prove that such slander caused financial hardship.

129. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 22:27 Bhruic

EA Not Banning All Game Access for Forum Hijinks

Nice to see, but seriously, are you guys starting to feel like you made a deal with the devil yet?

(yeah, I know, you can't really answer that ;))

128. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 22:06  CrushBug 

EA Not Banning All Game Access for Forum Hijinks

Posting in EA Forums is enabled by an EA Nucleus account -- but access to the forums and access to the games are separate. Players who have been banned from EA Forums are not automatically banned from online access to their other EA games. Players can be banned if they breach the Terms of Service or Code of Conduct in a forum, game or service. Each forum, game and service is managed independently by customer support representatives responsible for that specific forum, game or service.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

127. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 21:01 theyarecomingforyou

A EULA cannot possibly be binding because nobody reads them. The Blu-ray version of Sleeping Beauty includes a 57-page EULA, which clearly no-one is going to go through. I'd imagine less than 0.5% of people have ever read it, and then probably only those interested in the law / contracts. Companies include longer and longer versions and I'd still be reading them if I read them for everything I use, as well as when they're updated. Courts have backed up simple claims (don't backwards engineer this software) because common sense applies but things like this have never been tested.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

126. Re: EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 20:49 Reactor

Did you never told one of your friends to get lost when you were angry about something? How ridiculous would it be if you would then never again be allowed to speak to them.

Worst analogy evar.

I fully support EA's move in this case (can't believe I'm saying that) but legally I'm not sure if they can get away with what they're proposing. It'd be an interesting one to look into.

125. Re: EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 20:39 Buckermann

I think EA is not going far enough.
Instead EA should contact the ISP of the offender to terminate their internet access, get the goverment of (whatever nation) to revoke their citizenship, and sue them for millions of monies for breach of EULA.

Seriously, everybody can have a bad day and say/write something which they regret the next day. Did you never told one of your friends to get lost when you were angry about something? How ridiculous would it be if you would then never again be allowed to speak to them.

Stupid idea.

124. Re: EA: Forum Ban Equals Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 20:26 anyprophet

bwahahahaha

The fallout from this is going to be entertaining.

123. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 20:18 timesten

the potential for abuse of this system alone should make them rethink it. i dont buy ea products now, and if i did, i probably wouldnt post on thier forums. but, this is just one more reason to not buy. thats the rock. the hard place is when your favorite game designer signs with, or is swallowed by ea.

also, im not sure of a post count that decides epicness on blues, but id be interested in seeing a list of the most commented on stories since commenting was instituted.

also also, those of you with red sigs, you trick those looking to see who got posts removed in a hot thread.

122. Re: Lawyers are grinning as I type this Oct 30, 2008, 19:42 HellSlayer

Do not act like you know when you don't Jackal. Look up court cases concerning these so called agreements. You will find game companies won every case when dealing with an EULA issue. It is binding!BTW look up the definition of Contract and tell me what it says. You will see the word agreement in the definition.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 19:44.

o0

121. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 19:38 Bhruic

Those banned will stay banned, but like most other internet services, its not that hard to create a new fake e-mail account. However, its a lot harder to get a new serial key =)

After thinking about that line for a second, I quickly realized there's an easy work around - create a separate account for posting on the forums using the "new fake e-mail account". That way you can say whatever you want on the forum without having it be tied to your actual account. Even if they are tracking IPs, so many people have multiple users in a single household they won't be able to ban based purely on an IP (well, it being EA, I shouldn't say they "won't").

120. Re: Lawyers are grinning as I type this Oct 30, 2008, 19:32 Jackal

an agreement isn't a contract , its an agreement.

It provides certain terms for which the user is expected to comply.

I am not going to argue about the legal ramifications but quite frankly you have no idea what you are talking about.

This is a scam to generate more sales, much like their use of DRM being limited installs.

119. Re: EA Forum/Game Bans Oct 30, 2008, 19:29 r

hurray! another reason to STEAL their games. i hate EA.  

118. Re: Lawyers are grinning as I type this Oct 30, 2008, 19:14 HellSlayer

Really?The lawyers are all foaming out the mouth at this one huh? You forget that EA has a ton of lawyers too. I bet Ea's lawyers came up with the EULA's you guys agreed to Wait Blizzard already proved that EULAs hold up in court,good luck wasting your money!

The forums have a warning system in place and it will take multiply warnings on the same type of issue to get you banned. As far as fair? All you have to do is don't play Ea's games! It is not rocket science, you don't even need a masters degree to figure this one out!No one forces you to play EA's games:) and this is the REST of the story! See ya

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 19:30.

o0

137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo