Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 31, 2008, 04:41 PHJF

I agree that SPECIAL is gimped.

Perks every fucking level? WHAT THE FUCK?

A PERK WITH 10 RANKS THAT INCREASES A CHARACTER POINT?!?!?!?

Character development is straight out the window. I have 10 int, agi, and perception. I have a crapload of high ranking skills, all because they cap out at 100 and I get 23 points per lvl. (I have 100 small arms, 100 lockpick, 100 science, 100 repair, 75 medicine).

Like somebody mentioned, you can acquire a laser rifle extremely early and you get a laser pistol in no time. You get the power armor on the SECOND LEG of the MAIN QUEST, even if you cant equip it (Power armor training???). I got a sniper rifle BEFORE I GOT THE HUNTING RIFLE. I have tons of bottlecaps when I have 3 charisma and roughly no bartering skill.

Word of advice: maximize repair as soon as you can. Repairing thru traders is expensive as hell, and when you can repair your items you can consolidate your own loot into smaller, highly-repaired and more expensive items. But the fact that in order to repair an item you must consume an identical item is completely ridiculous. How am I supposed to repair rare items like Fat Man, it's not like I find them lying all over the place??? You should be able to use all those generally-worthless items to repair equipment. Like take scrap metal and beat it with a hammer or something into "components" which can be used to repair equipment.

And this game fails badly as a shooter. It feels like absolutely no improvement over Deus Ex and that was years ago. The weapons don't feel right and the AI is total ass. But anyways, I'm playing on Hard and it's too easy. Granted things like Super Mutant Brutes can take a few headshots before going down, but it doesn't change the fact. The combat shotgun especially is DEVESTATING to non-robotics, as I can generally kill everything with one round of VATS. My chinese assault rifle (which does like 15 more damage than the regular assault rifle for some reason, while the chinese pistol does less damage than the regular) makes mincemeat of scorpions and raiders.

But after the fact, it's still pretty fun. It just needs mods pretty badly, something like "Oblivion Lost".

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 19:05 space captain

What makes it RPG lite? The skill system is nearly identical to Fallout's, improved in my opinion.

no they gimped the SPECIAL system in tons of ways, the stats dont match up with the same bonuses as before (CH doesnt affect party member limit, PER doesnt affect weapon range, LK doesnt affect random encounters, etc. etc. etc.), plus they tie into different skills now, the number of skills has been shortened, some folded into others, some are gone completely, and also the TAG skills dont increase x2 skillpoints you put in them, and thats not to even mention the perks

they barely kept the main stuff intact, its been gutted and rehauled extensively

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 18:02 Jerykk

The skill system is nearly identical to Fallout's, improved in my opinion.

Eh, no. In Fallout 1/2, skills and stats played roles throughout the entire game. For example, you might find a door you can't open unless you are strong enough, a generator you can't repair unless your repair skill is high enough, etc. Your various stats would also open up unique dialogue options. Finally, your stats were widely used throughout the game. Perception would determine your gun range, your random encounter starting points, your sequencing and more. Charisma would determine how persuasive you were, how many followers you could have and open up new dialog options.

In FO3, it seems like attributes are linked to specific skills and never used in any other manner.

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 15:41 Cutter

I'll admit that they did somewhat capture the essence of the Fallout world, but yes, it's still a dissapointing direction to go. The things I don't like about the game so far definitely outweigh the things I do like. And yes, it really isn't a lot more than Oblivon with guns.

D.C. is fucking ridiculous for getting around in the first time. How annoying is that? On th plus side they've captured some of the humour very well. The "war" between the Mechanist and AntAngonizer was pretty funny.

I still hold that I'm waiting for a real third Fallout game to be made. And yes, these near perfect reviews are move beyond sad into being ridiculous.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 15:28 Cabezone

How is it an RPG lite from a gameplay perspective? What makes the gameplay less RPG than the originals.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

15. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 14:37 Fion

I'm talking gameplay wise more than use of the SPECIAL system.  

14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 13:54 Cabezone

What makes it RPG lite? The skill system is nearly identical to Fallout's, improved in my opinion. The writing isn't nearly as good, but you have very similar choices to the ones you had in the originals.

The game is definitely easier than the originals.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 14:03.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 13:30 Fion

It's pretty much as RPG lite as Oblivion was, so yea this reviewer has zero idea what he's talking about and I agree with an early poster, it sounds like this guys RPG experience consists of Mass Effect and Oblivion and he certainly never played the original Fallout games.

It's a good 'modern' console game and the setting is done very well. The graphics individually are pretty poor but over-all you have a huge view distance and the enemies are often pretty high res.

It's a good game, though not great. Similarly to Oblivion it was good but compared to it's predecessors, it wasn't 1/2 what it was cracked up to be.

That said it still is enjoyable, in the way Oblivion was enjoyable and seems to have left behind what were some of the most major gripes of Oblivion have been dealt with. The combat system is 'ok' (it's nothing remotely as enjoyable as FC2's which is the other game on my HD getting a lot of attention right now.)

Hopefully once an SDK hits, and even before, some of the same great PC modders who made Oblivion great can start modding Fallout 3. Make it a bit 'more' Fallout and a bit 'less' Oblivion perhaps even.

I say, at least theres more then 4 voice actors for every single NPC in the game :p

12. Houston Chronicle review Oct 30, 2008, 13:25 the_culture

What do you get when you combine "Mass Effect," "Fable," "Oblivion," "Bioshock" and "Call of Duty?"

Bethesda has delivered an effort that is truly worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as "Oblivion."

It's painfully obvious that these reviews are a new generation of game players... overly satiated by a steady diet of "style over substance."

11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 12:02 InBlack

Role Playing Game. You take the role of a character or several characters and then through a quest and/or combat reward system of experience (which should be based on a fixed ruleset) and items increase the importance and power of your character.  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 11:48 Cabezone

Can some of you please explain to me what RPG means to you?  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 11:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Huh, seriously? Can anyone who actually plays real RPGs (no oblivion doesn't count) verify this?

It's bullshit. Fallout 3 is very, very RPG-lite. For what it is, it's a decent action game but it certainly isn't much of an RPG. I've been playing it for two days now and I have posted some extensive impressions over in the Ships Ahoy Fallout 3 thread, if you're interested.

8. Re: f3 review Oct 30, 2008, 09:55 InBlack

LOL Half-Elf those things are really minor, minor quips in an RPG. This is an RPG remember? AFAIC I dont really need handholding, and sound or graphics are a distant second to gameplay.  

7. Re: f3 review Oct 30, 2008, 09:25 The Half Elf

There are a couple of things that I just don't like about Fallout 3 so far.
First off when ya hit 19 and have to leave the Vault. It was just way too 'dump the player and run' sorta thing. Beyond learning how to shoot, reload and move, the tutorial was fairly lacking. At least with Oblivion once ya got out of the sewers ya had a direction to go, instead of 'ok ya need to find the guy who knows about the kinds son, but we won't give ya any help where he might be'.

Second off the textures are... poor to say the least. It looks like it's using Xbox 1 textures. Granted there are some nice features like being able to tell what time of day it is inside most dwellings, but still. Anyone remember the first screen shot they showed of the VATS system with a Super Mutant? The texture detail in the screen shot was on par with Gears of War (a good thing), but in game they ain't all that great even on Ultra settings.

Thirdly, the same fucking thing that was in Oblivion. You'll get 1 or 2 lines sorta hushed from a NPC, then get a whole bunch of loud lines. Kinda like they either had to re-record them at the last min or something. Drives me nuts.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. f3 review Oct 30, 2008, 08:31 space captain

They'll judge the game on today's standards where people care a bit less about the depth of dialog trees and a bit more about the voice acting and graphics. And in that light, it's a shining success.

today's standards: shiny and pretty, and lacking depth

sounds about right

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 08:07 InBlack

Yeah bit-tech reviews are always artsy, and well extremely Hyped!  

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 08:02 Bluesfanboi

Judging by his writing I don't think the bit-tech author even played Fallout.  

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 06:00 InBlack

Heheh I just got the Fallout 3 Euro version this morning (The benefits of working in multimedia retail) We installed it here at work to check it out a bit, I only played for about half an hour and I dont really understand what everyone is complaining about.

The game definitely captures the 50's retro/futuristic Vault atmosphere (havent left the Vault yet) and the character creation process if funny and original. The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the gameplay seems to have potential. I will wait and see how it develops but so far the gameplay is very true to the original games.

2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 04:16 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure this guy's "RPG" experience is limited to games like Fable and Mass Effect.  

1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 30, 2008, 02:19 Acleacius

AtomicGamer
this game holds sacred all that is great about RPGs while delivering that action-based punch that keeps you coming back.
Huh, seriously? Can anyone who actually plays real RPGs (no oblivion doesn't count) verify this? I find this truly hard to believe, somehow they decided to hold all things great about RPGs, sacred.

I Didn't even know they knew what all things great about RPGs were.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo