Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. . Oct 30, 2008, 20:45 zincthallinide

I thought Spore would be more SimEarth-y, and I wondered why it wasn't as I played it.. I guess now I know why.

Spore is fun for a few hours, but yeah, there's no real depth. If I want a space strategy game I'll play Galactic Civilizations 2.. I thought the cell stage was fun, though yeah, in hindsight, googly eyes on cells isn't realistic, but I'll consider them more symbolic of a generic sensor..

Really though, Will Wright is the same guy who made The Sims, and nobody tries to blame anybody for the cutesiness and general pointlessness of that series.. Maybe because Sims doesn't try to reach as far as Spore?

Ultimately Spore is an interesting diversion, and there aren't a lot of games like it, and I'm sure it was successful enough to encourage further creation of similar games, some of which will no doubt be more complex.. which honestly won't be hard.. the concept of Spore is complex but the execution is not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 14:20 Fion

To add.. this guy is clearly a console player who clearly didn't understand that PC gamers aren't after 'cute' or 'simple' gameplay but complex and deep gameplay. A game of evolution based on scientific principles would have done FAR better then the hyped up kids game that is Spore.  

3. Re: Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 13:47 Fion

I hate to start a witch hunt for this guy but shit he completely and utterly fubared this game from it's early hype to the crap it turned into compared to what it could have been.

Mind I still had hours of fun with the game but 90% of that was creating creatures and downloading others creations. When ever I load the game anymore I spend an hour in the tools and rarely actually enter the gameplay part of the game. I haven't touched the Spore icon on my desktop in weeks now.

I'm sure Will is pissed that spore isn't as huge as he thought it would be and clearly there are people at Maxis and fans of the game who are on a witch hunt over who dumbed down the game. If it had all the depth and complexity a 'science' focused game could have and likely would have been, it would have been HUGE on the PC.

After all, we get a deep and complex 'old PC style' game about once a year anymore, if that. 99% of games these days are nearly as dumbed down as reality television and it's CLEARLY a sign of the over-all dumbing down of the American people.

Why do you think the PC is still very strong acrossed europe and parts of asia were console gaming isn't remotely as strong as it is in the US and the 'cute lovers' of lower Asia.

IMHO it's an epidemic of stupidity in this country and modern console games are a clear example of that. This guy should be freaking tared and feathered for removing the science and dumbing down spore.

2. Re: Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 08:32 Aero

The 'cute' side are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. They should be transferred to a department that only does The Sims addons.

The science side ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting the 'cute,' 'fuck gameplay, let's do as little as possible to make money' side of the dev team screw the game up like this.

1. Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 05:42 Hoop

Interesting article.
Did not know about this game till 2 months out and not being into rpgs ment I was never going to buy it.
Matched the blind out of control hype to the previews and could see straight away, masses of the masses were going to be sorely dissapointed. It was like sitting back to watch two trains collide having been in sight of each other for hundreds of miles.

Have to admit to being a little burnned myself this year with the recent release of Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. Got sucked into the hype and misleading early "game play" footage only to find a dumbed down console port.
Make good game play you deluded devs & get your acting/directing fantasies down on film in your own time. I can't tell you how many times I felt embarassed for you when induring those cheesey drawn out rendered cut scenes packed around a sub par set-piece corridor shooter from 5 years in the past.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 06:00.

Um .. Behind you...

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo