Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow-up

In a Q&A a month ago about Fallout 3, Bethesda's Pete Hines made a vague, but reassuring statement about the DRM in the RPG sequel, saying: "Pretty similar to what we did for Oblivion, which was--we basically don't do any--we do the mildest form possible. I actually don't know if I even want to get into what it is that we exactly do, but we try to be really noninvasive when it comes to that stuff." Now an update on Reclaim your Game indicates that this has turned out to be an exaggeration at best, saying the game ships with SecuROM version 7.36.0006, and notes the Bethesda Game Studios Forums have posts from many users unable to install Fallout 3, who are apparently being told by customer service reps that they need to uninstall any third-party CD-writing software to be able to run the game. There's another forum post for those who have SecuROM issues with workaround instructions and a pointer to the SecuROM Website where there's a replacement launcher for Fallout 3, as well as a replacement launcher for Far Cry 2. Thanks Mike Martinez and Negative Gamer.

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

85. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Mar 16, 2009, 11:05 Durbee

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 23, 2009, 10:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 31, 2008, 11:10 Jackplug

Have they not seen what has happened to EA idiots when they use DRM!
They have just lost millions I bet in pre-order sales, well Im
sure one day they will learn, but it seems not this year..

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2008, 15:59.

83. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 16:45 Kxmode

Jesus people! This is still on-going?  

82. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 16:40 Bhruic

Bhruic: I didn't say it was or was not legal in any particular country. I was just saying that ethics does not nessasarily equal legality.

You said that owning a license doesn't affect the legality of torrents. I merely pointed out that in some jurisdictions, owning a license does affect the legality of torrents - leaving ethics completely out of it.

81. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 15:41 Dev

Bhruic: I didn't say it was or was not legal in any particular country. I was just saying that ethics does not nessasarily equal legality.

Jerykk: Exactly, I'm a legit customer and I'm bothered by this crap. And this crap ONLY AFFECTS LEGITIMATE CUSTOMERS like myself!! People who aquire a non legit copy are just going to get a crack with it and not be bothered by it.
If I grab the crack, I don't get bothered.

I'm tempted to download the few megabyte mini image of the game so then I can avoid the crack (so I can still patch the game, and no potential issues with a bad crack), and then I dont have to keep the DVD in the drive whenever I run the launcher.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 15:47.

80. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 13:28 Dades

Ah yes the old "I am long winded so I must be intelligent and someone must waste 5 minutes reading my reply on a gaming forum otherwise they are an idiot" trick. Sorry no thanks chap. Do you have anything remotely on topic to say or did you just want to dance with me? I'm not a cheap date.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 13:29.

79. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 13:22 Bhruic

Sorry tl;dr, if you can't make a point without 8 paragraphs then you're obviously just looking to argue and I'm sure we can both find better things to do with our time.

Ah, yes, the old "I have no argument, I already look like an idiot, so I'm going to pretend I can't read (or maybe you really can't) and run away crying". Sorry I tried to make you use a brain cell or two, but maybe you could try taking your own advice and "grow up".

78. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 13:10 Dades

Sorry tl;dr, if you can't make a point without 8 paragraphs then you're obviously just looking to argue and I'm sure we can both find better things to do with our time. If you're going to pirate shit, be considerate and don't post about it on forums, game devs read them too.  

77. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 12:41 Bhruic

People say pirates don't care about DRM but some of the most passionate anti-DRM stuff I see is from pirates.

You're making a logical error here by assuming that "caring about DRM" in practise and "caring about DRM" in theory are the same thing. Pirates do not care about DRM in practise, because it doesn't affect them. Some do care about it in theory because they would actually like to buy games, but refuse to support companies imposing DRM.

Which brings up another flaw in your argument, your complete "black and white" approach. On one end of the spectrum are people who buy all their games, and would never pirate. On the other end are people who pirate everything, and never buy anything. However, in the middle is a large group of people who pirate some games, and buy others (or buy ones they've previously pirated). So yes, the middle group is going to have issues with DRM, because it is a factor in determining how much they pirate vs how much they buy. You pretending that only the two extremes on the spectrum exist makes your argument much simpler, but also that much more incorrect.

I really don't care if Joe Blow Retard Nin is getting 800KB/s from his k-rad torrent.

Yes, you care about it so little that you have to use constant insults and derogatory language to describe it. Your indifference is truly staggering.

I can't recall anywhere in the history of man where doing something bad and talking about it publicly was intelligent.

Oh, I see, and here I've misjudged you. You're actually a humanitarian who's trying to help out the poor misguided individuals. We will, of course, leave aside the fact that what you consider "bad" isn't the same as what other people consider "bad".

If you're torrenting stuff, keep it to yourself.

I'm glad to see that after only 2 weeks here, you're more than capable of taking up your job of telling people what they can and can't post here. Oh, wait, that's not your job, is it?

76. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 12:10 Jerykk

People say pirates don't care about DRM but some of the most passionate anti-DRM stuff I see is from pirates.

I see a lot more passionate anti-DRM stuff coming from legitimate customers. After all, they are the ones who have to deal with the crap.

75. Re: FO3 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 12:00 Dades

Except that wasn't my argument. People say pirates don't care about DRM but some of the most passionate anti-DRM stuff I see is from pirates. In contrast, I really don't care if Joe Blow Retard Nin is getting 800KB/s from his k-rad torrent. The difference is that I can read the former and would rather not see the latter at all, hence why I posted. As I said, we have game devs around here, I think most of them would rather not read about someone torrenting their game. I can't recall anywhere in the history of man where doing something bad and talking about it publicly was intelligent. If you're torrenting stuff, keep it to yourself.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 12:01.

74. Re: Fo3 & FC2 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:56 Bhruic

I don't even mind people pirating crap, just don't come onto messageboards and post about it. No one cares that you're on a torrent or not

Well, to use your own stupid argument back at you, obviously you do care, or you wouldn't be posting multiple times on a forum about it.

73. Re: Fo3 & FC2 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:55 Bhruic

Regardless of if you own a liscense for the game or not, doesn't change the legality or lack thereof of torrents or cracks.

Try and keep in mind the "legality" is determined by the country you reside in, and not everyone here lives in the same country. While it may not be legal in the US (I don't know US law well enough to argue the point), downloading a game that you own (or have licensed if you want to be technical) would be perfectly legal here. As would using a crack to bypass any DRM (again, assuming you purchased it).

72. Re: Fo3 & FC2 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:49 Dev

BTW, its not just Daemon that its detecting and objecting to, here's an official reply from beth:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=892715
"Make sure you have the Drag to Disk feature of Roxio killed"
I know that tons of ppl use roxio and features like this to burn things, way more than use DT.

Tumbler:
Regardless of if you own a liscense for the game or not, doesn't change the legality or lack thereof of torrents or cracks.
It may be ethically corect, but ethics aren't always law.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 11:57.

71. Re: Fo3 & FC2 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:47 InBlack

Tumbler do you still want to check out AoC i have a buddy key still unused.  

I have a nifty blue line!

70. Re: Fo3 & FC2 DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:24 Dades

I don't even mind people pirating crap, just don't come onto messageboards and post about it. No one cares that you're on a torrent or not, it doesn't make you cool or "sticking it to the man" or something. We have game devs on here and frankly it's just rude. Until there is a publisher using torrents to spread their games, I think I'm fairly correct in assuming that saying you're grabbing a torrent probably constitutes piracy. If you just wanted to circumvent DRM, you'd get a crack. This game has no limited activations or any of that crap, he is a pirate. That'd be fine if he'd keep it to himself instead of coming on here, bitching about the non-existent DRM then having the nerve to admit he was just downloading it anyways. Seriously, you can't defend his position, he's a retard.  

69. Re: Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 11:12 Tumbler

You're the problem with the gaming industry right now kid, apathetic little pirates going around spreading crap on messageboards.

Just for arguments sake I think it's been clearly stated that downloading a game from a torrent that you already own is ok. (Stated by others, not by me) So unless you can prove he doesn't own the game I don't think we can consider him a pirate...

So your precious gaming industry essentially legalized piracy in certain cases by adding the DRM limited install stuff. I guess this game doesn't exactly follow that standard but a game that won't play because of drm is a game that won't play because of drm.

So strictly speaking just using a torrent doesn't make you a pirate anymore.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

68. Re: Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow Oct 30, 2008, 10:47 nin

>>> This inane blathering from Dades has been hidden. Donít feed the trolls! <<<

AH-hahahahahahahaha!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

67. Re: Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow-up Oct 30, 2008, 10:44 Dades

Yep, you're pirating the game, bitching about the non-existent DRM and I'm the bad guy. That's a good one. You're the problem with the gaming industry right now kid, apathetic little pirates going around spreading crap on messageboards. I'll try not to cry myself to sleep tonight over making your ignore list.  

66. Re: Fallout 3 (and Far Cry 2) DRM Follow Oct 30, 2008, 10:37 nin

>>> This inane blathering from Dades has been hidden. Donít feed the trolls! <<<

I would like to take a moment to thank Enahs, for upgrading the FireFoxFucktardFilter (FFFF). You sir, rock.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo