Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I spent a good deal of yesterday morning fighting with my antivirus software, which insisted on relentlessly crashing. It's very aggravating to have something so vital become unavailable, it forced me to find another AV suite to use before I could progress (I'm waiting until I better understand what went wrong before naming guilty parties). I can remember the days when you basically didn't even need anti-virus software. I guess that's the internet equivalent of remembering when people didn't lock the doors to their houses.

Unprotected Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Numbskull. Thanks Jay is Games.
Flat Pack Frankie.
Links: My Zombie Pin-up. Thanks Strich.
6 MORE Creepy Urban Legends (That Happen to be True).
Incredible Custom Wall-E Robot.
Stories: Zep warned off 'pointless' tour.
Researchers may have found King Solomon's mines. Warning: Patrick Swayze photo.
Science: 'Full' artificial heart implant.
Media: Call of Duty: World at War - Nazi Zombie Gameplay.
The Bar that's a Ball Pit.
Rowing Fail.
Follow-ups: US space tourist remembers 'a beautiful ballet'. Presumably set to the Blue Danube Waltz.
Man's Best Friend Forever- Cloning dogs for love and profit.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2008, 10:25 nin

BTW, I tried the AVG free version, and I didn't like all the "stamps" it put on all my email ....

You can turn that off in the settings...

I used AVG until they released that fat bloated turd called version 8.

Not just me then...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2008, 04:32 jimnms

I used AVG until they released that fat bloated turd called version 8. I still have AVG 7 Free on one of my machines, and they're still releasing updates for it. As long as they keep releasing updates, it will stay there. I couldn't re-install AVG 7 on my main PC because the installer was out of date. I tried every free anti-virus out there and liked Avira AntiVir the best. As for firewall, I like Comodo's free firewall.

I don't like leaving anti-virus software running all the time, I just do manual scanning of downloads and a full system scan every month or so, and AntiVir was the only one that could be set up where it didn't have to run constantly with minimal resource hogging. You can disable all of it's services except the scheduler service, and it only takes up 544K of mem.

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 21:13 CreamyBlood

I use Avira and Sunbelt Kerio Firewall on my W2k partition and Avast and Comomdo on my XP.

Avira nags a bit but has good performance if that matters to you.

I used to use AVG for several years but it ended up getting bloated.

Check out Gizmos Techsupport Newsletter. I've more or less agreed with much of what he thinks over the years:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

Of course, he thinks we should all use a Sandbox (like sandboxie) which can be a pain if you save a lot of stuff and don't pay attention.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 19:32 banddirector

My last Norton AV subscription was about 90 days from expiring, and I was going to find something else (Norton was a notorious resource hog) but they offered a "free" (at least for 90 days) upgrade to their latest version, so I tried it.

Apparently Norton got the message from consumers about their resource-hoginess, because their new version seems to work WAY better. It even has a built in resource meter, as if to say "look, it's not Norton hogging your resources". Of course, the meter could be lying, I suppose.

Anyway, Norton's changed enough for me to give it a try for a year, and see how it does.

BTW, I tried the AVG free version, and I didn't like all the "stamps" it put on all my email ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 17:25 Bucky

I just installed the Comodo Suite (Free). Antivirus + Firewall. I'm of the camp that believes being careful is enough, but having just had my place set up with it's own dedicated cable modem (and not yet having a router) I needed some sort of firewall in between. So far, I like it. Then again, I only hung up with Comcast about 10 minutes ago, so my usage so far has been minimal.

Now the real test. I need to fire up TF2 and make sure it works--since for the last 3 months I couldn't play online for more than 10 minutes without my connection dropping (finally tracked it down to the VOIP setup that the landlord uses).

Edit: I can play online again! Woohoo! Party2
*Immediately pre-orders Left4Dead*

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 19:00.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 16:33 zirik

nobody cared much about the zombie gameplay for call of duty? it caught me by surprise. it seems they have run out of ideas for war type shooters. now theyre trying to steal publicity from left for dead and going the wolfenstein route.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue: 6 MORE Creepy... Oct 29, 2008, 15:40 Tigger

I know that #3 is true.

The guy that put me in the Army was one of the MPs that arrested Sgt. Schap.

When telling me the story the day I left for the Army, he said the guy was 'completely calm when we went over an picked him up'.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 14:57 Fantaz

Hey Blue, don't be paranoid about the hackers. They're not all out to get you, they've got better things to do.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 14:43 DG

AVG is fine for me (v8.0.175 on Vista 64). However I disabled the LinkScanner after 1 day - downloading every URL that is on a page in order to scan it for viruses is extremely excessive imo. Actually it seems a bit backwards to activate every link in sight just to see if it sets off something nasty. Apparently they've improved it but I'm not turning it back on to check.

I've ran AVG free for years now but I've had 3 virus detections in about 8 years. Two were email attachments I'd never have opened and 1 I suspected a false positive.

I don't need it. My browsing habits are good and I only use webmail now, their scanners are better than any consumer software. But I never notice it so no point removing it either.

That doesn't also go for firewall though, use a router with NAT and at a minimum windows built in firewall. ZoneAlarm isn't terrible, because it's very easy to configure. I asked a few times on tech forums how to configure a "proper" firewall and nobody's interested, online guides are far from novice friendly. tbh I think half the people with proper firewalls just installed the software and figured that was job done.

Same for router firewalls, I know other than the NAT, incoming traffic and basic flood etc detection it's got to be configured to actually firewall anything.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 14:44.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 14:03 BigHammr

If it's AVG you are having trouble with and your OS is Vista 32 (mebbe 64 as well) and the on access scanner keeps crashing, this is a known issue and turning off the MS built in malware protection (Windows Defender) keeps it's functions from interfering with those of AVG. Reboot is required.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 14:02 Fang

Blue,

If you are that concerned about viruses, why don't you run Ubuntu for your work machine? You can easily install and test it in Windows with Wubi. If your job requires you to be that exposed, you should considered a safer environment.

Personally, I run Ubuntu in a VirtualBox on my windows machine. Very easy to setup quickly. Everything just works.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 13:48 nin

Um, 7.5.549 at work, not sure about at home - have to check. I think I redownloaded it not too long ago (maybe a few months?).

7 was awesome...8 was not.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 13:43 Warhawk

What version?

Um, 7.5.549 at work, not sure about at home - have to check. I think I redownloaded it not too long ago (maybe a few months?).

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 12:42 Enahs

I'm in the same boat, except I don't even have any AV installed at all. I'm careful, I know what I'm doing. It's not something I would recommend for most people, though.

The only reason I have it installed on my gaming machine, is because is easier to install it then to turn off Vista stupid warnings. But again, I do not have any of the real-time protection running.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 12:16 complicity

I do not have anti-virus software running all the time. I like my system running fast and lean.
I'm in the same boat, except I don't even have any AV installed at all. I'm careful, I know what I'm doing. It's not something I would recommend for most people, though.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

16. Re: On a totally different subject... Oct 29, 2008, 12:15 PHJF

Fallout 3 really is Oblivion With Guns. I'll still enjoy it as best I can and I'm sure I'll get a boatload of playtime from it, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. On a totally different subject... Oct 29, 2008, 12:06 The Half Elf

Fable 2. Magnificent.

Installing Fallout 3 now, and the dog in it has it's work cut out for it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 12:03 Ataneruo

I enjoy using the free personal edition of Avira AntiVir. Approximately 2.5 mb memory footprint, runs inobtrusively and is very customizable, regularly offers free virus profile updates and seems very responsive to potentially dangerous scripts. I've run it for over three years on XP then Vista and have never had any (known) program conflicts and have never had a system infection while running it. While this could be coincidence due to careful online habits, I definitely feel secure running it, and at this point would be comfortable paying for the pro edition if I felt I needed the extra features. It's definitely worth a (free) try. Link is posted below. I have used Norton, McAffee, and AVG in the past and I am confident that AntiVir is all-around the best program I've used.

http://www.free-av.com/

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 12:06.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 10:48 nin

We use AVG at work and I use the free version at home. No problems whatsoever....

What version?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 Warhawk

We use AVG at work and I use the free version at home. No problems whatsoever....  

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo