Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3

Red Alert Is Back! EA Ships Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 to Retailers Worldwide Today announces the Windows edition of the next installment in the alternate history real-time strategy series is shipping today, though they list October 30 as its North American and European in-store date (the Xbox 360 edition is expected on November 11). Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 includes a free "Women of Red Alert 3" poster and a code for Kossar’s Helm, an exclusive item for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, and there's a Premier Edition which includes exclusive multiplayer maps, a behind-the-scenes documentary, the Red Alert 3 soundtrack and a beta key to a future Command & Conquer game. Word is: "Like all games in the series, the events of Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 revolve around time travel and its consequences. The game begins with a doomed Soviet Union on the brink of defeat to the Allies. Two desperate Soviet generals and a brilliant scientist travel back in time to change history and restore the glory of Mother Russia. At first their mission appears to be a resounding success, but they quickly realize that their actions have created an alternate timeline where technology has followed an entirely different evolution, and a new superpower has been thrust onto the world stage – The Empire of the Rising Sun. Gamers will get to experience the three-way struggle between the Soviets, the Allies, and the Empire from each faction's unique perspective, following three distinct storylines and with each campaign being fully enabled for co-operative play, connecting with a friend online** or with one of nine different in-game co-commanders. The game also features skirmish and multiplayer for up to six players."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 29, 2008, 04:33 Z9000

Have only played Russia so far. Can answer a few questions I am reading below... Russia can turtle effectively if you like to. Tesla - Think NOD Obelisk with faster rate of fire. Takes out most things in 1 hit, large ambhibious ships and other mega units take 2 hits. Superweapons in the game so far seem to be just a skill tree system of super powers you buy with skill points as the map progresses. Russia's earliest is to cause orbiting space facilities to deorbit and crash at a specified location. Another power is sucking up units into space. If you use the crash power after that, the units as well as deorbiting sats will crash into your target, kinda funny when it's an aircraft carrier you grabbed.

Playing Solo campaign, you must have a co op AI with you. I am not really liking this part of the game as the AI is a resource hog (forced to share resources...) and unless you babysit his activities, AI will stream units and burn cash. Then if you do babysit what it does, you end up pretty much stomping the enemy with a zerg.

Maps and graphics are purty, clean with 8x aa and all max. Loads are REAL fast. I got some triangle spray and weird shadow popping after playing 7 maps into the game and in an area of heavy units, debris and conflict. There is a patch 1.01, but the server wasn't patching when I tried it earlier tonight. It's a fun game so far. Have to take it tongue and cheek. Approach it that way and you will enjoy it. It has more depth than I anticipated but not the deepest RTS by a long shot.

8-10 Twin Blades (Helicopter/Russia) is a pretty nasty attack on light defense. Action in the game is very fast paced (which is why I think the game isn't strategic enough, you just don't get the time to actually execute a plan, stuff blows up too fast). You can lose 10-20 units in a blink of an eye if you aren't careful, including Twinblades.

There are some extremely long range units in the game. Aircraft Carrier, LRMs, Missle ship, etc... So long range warfare is very much a threat above and beyond the air stuff we are used to seeing in C&C. And if you do turtle, make sure you have some air to clean up the pesky air craft carrier that keeps trying to take out your turrets.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 20:47 Jerykk

Can someone offer some more comparison with RA 3, please?

From what I've read, the Tesla Coils are pretty buff. Of course, if you play online, turtling will inevitably lead to failure. In skirmish it might work.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 20:30 Dwarf_Snowninja

Best game for that was TA. Course the drawback was is if you had craploads of defense structures, they chewed up your power gen. My fave was having 6-7 buzzsaws go off at once and watch my power drop to nothing.  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 20:23 ColoradoHoudini

Keith:

You play the same way I do.. except, I suck.. so that's why I play that way.
I do love a symmetrical, aesthetically pleasing defensive setup.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 19:10 Keith

I mainly play the campaign and skirmish modes. I enjoy building a nice "turtle" defense and watching hordes of enemy units throw themselves at my turrets, cannons, towers, etc. This was possible in Generals, Supreme Commander, Starcraft, etc., but very difficult in Tiberium Sun because the defensive structures were relatively weak, tended to be unit specific (air, land, etc), and had relatively limited ranges. Can someone offer some more comparison with RA 3, please?  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 18:52 Ozmodan

Well if you enjoy installing malware on your computer...

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 17:28 Jerykk

I like Generals, with it's effective defensive structures and moderately paced gameplay

Eh..? Defensive structures were worthless in Generals. Generals was also very fast-paced.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:41 Ant

I want to know how this works.

Does it take your exisitng single player campaign or is it a new campaign?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:24 Cabezone

I'd just like to point out that the main campaign is designed to be played 2 player co-op. A nice option.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:18 Ant

Keith, I'd say both.

The resource collection is not like old C&C games. It's like Blizzard's RTS games. Find the resource point, stick a building on it. I really don't like that. I like the old harvester/trucks finding stuff!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:14 Keith

So, does RA 3 play like Generals or Tiberium Wars? I like Generals, with it's effective defensive structures and moderately paced gameplay, vs. TW with it's not effective defensive structures and fast paced gameplay. Someone who has played both throw me a bone here, without all the "DRM suxxors!" crap.  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:02 ColoradoHoudini

I will be playing it.. but I won't be playing any version that has some stupid anti piracy built in that limits my ownership experience as paying customer.

that's all i have to say about that.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 14:54 Ant

I am not planning to get it either since I was left unimpressed with its multiplayer beta. I loved the old C&C games including C&C3 and Generals. The cutscenes look fun, but the game isn't.

And of course, DRM. I was one of the victims who had Explorer crashes with Kane's Wrath patch.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2008, 15:05.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 14:11 nin

Oh BOO FUCKING HOO! won't play a legendary game because of some electronic invasion algorithm to your 1's and 0's? Sucks to be you and in your mom's basement!
CHACHING! This game ROCKS!

Alright, who hid his meds? C'mon guys, give em back.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 14:05 Kajetan

These kids today ... *sigh*  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 13:56 NobleAtreides

Oh BOO FUCKING HOO! won't play a legendary game because of some electronic invasion algorithm to your 1's and 0's? Sucks to be you and in your mom's basement!
CHACHING! This game ROCKS!

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2008, 13:57.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 13:54 DG

averaging 85% on metacritic, tho it's strange to see it have only 5 reviews on a pc game like RA on launch? Quote snippets there don't seem to make the SP out to be so bad.

I'm knocking at least 5% off for DRM tho, and at least another 5% if it's limited activation.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 13:49 Jow

If people weren't buying this simplistic crap it wouldn't get made. That's pretty much it.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 13:33 javajeff

I am not buying it for all the same reasons.  

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Alert 3 Oct 28, 2008, 13:29 RP

Gamespy gives it 4/5 stars, listing in their "cons" section the following:

"Simplistic single-player mission design; not much strategic depth."

How the hell can an RTS with those faults get anything more than 3/5 stars? This is especially troublesome since, outside of LAN, every C&C game has horrible multiplayer balance and matchmaking tools. So C&C without decent single-player is worthless.

Anyway, I'll buy it once it's in the bargain bin. No way I'm paying $50 to watch some cut scenes.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo