Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Warning

Gameplayer.au has a (spoiler-free) warning for Fallout 3 players, as they've identified a point that will lock players into the end-game, after which it will be game over man, as it eliminates the possibility of experiencing unexplored areas of the post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. They provide advice on managing your save games to ensure you do not get caught in this inadvertent "trap" before getting the full game experience, which is probably sage advice to follow for handling save games in general.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 29, 2008, 04:27 Jerykk

Can't say I'm impressed by what I've played thus far. The AI is still stupid and the game is way too easy. I've invested zero points into my Small Guns skill, yet I'm getting headshots left and right. In addition, there have been many opportunities for multiple approaches to quests but none of these opportunities have been fulfilled.

Finally, can anyone confirm that Intelligence actually provides extra dialogue options? I have a high intelligence character based on the assumption that I'll get extra dialogue options, like in every good RPG, but I'm somewhat concerned. Nowhere in the stat description does it mention dialog. I recall reading that Intelligence did affect dialogue options in an interview a while back, but Bethesda is known for being full of crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 20:37 Fibrocyte

All reports on this game so far (from my co-workers/friends) have been positive.  

13. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 19:01 Quboid

Hrmm. I coulda sworn it was Civ. Perhaps I just dreamt the whole thing up.  

- Quboid

12. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 18:12 BlightCrawler

You can continue to play after 2050, and if you set up a custom game you can enable or disable any of the victory conditions, including the 2050 one.

Yup. Every single version of Civilization has always asked something to the effect of "Do you want to keep playing? No score will be kept." So I'm not sure what that guy is on about. The only time you are forced to end a game is if all your cities were destroyed.

11. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 15:55 jimnms

The worst is Civilization - I know it's 2050, or someone's got to another star, or everyone else is a burning ruin, I still wanna play, I want to complete what I set out to do. Don't count score after the official game end or whatever if that'll ruin your precious high scores list.
You can continue to play after 2050, and if you set up a custom game you can enable or disable any of the victory conditions, including the 2050 one.

Steam Profile

10. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 14:49 HellSlayer

What if it isn't a bug? Be cool to start over and try to see everything again or get "the real ending"? We will see if it is a bug, to get locked up at the end if you do something wrong and can't go back to fix it is a nice idea if you ask me. Muahahhaa  
o0

9. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 14:49 Surf

game is a blast! I like it thus far. Reminds me of Mad Max 3 as far as the setting.

Definitely Oblivion with gun but a lot more options. Lock picking is really well done!

8. Surprising... Oct 28, 2008, 14:31 JohnBirshire

Wasn't expecting this from a Fallout game, let alone a Bethesda game.

The first game of theirs I played was the original Elder Scrolls: Arena, and I'm sure I put more time into the game after I "finished" it than I even did beforehand.

Although, in regards to this warning, it WAS kind of a spoiler, since something apocalyptic *no pun intended* must happen at the end.

7. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 13:40 peteham

A game developer who actually played games would always allow the option of the game to continue after the main objective is complete.
They actually did include this in Oblivion.

6. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 13:36 Bluesfanboi

A game developer who actually played games would always allow the option of the game to continue after the main objective is complete.

It's called the anti-climax and it's integral to story-telling.

5. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 13:24 Kxmode

WTF? They should have hired someone from the Duex Ex team to manage this!  

4. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 13:11 Quboid

I've always hated this. Clear Sky pulled the same stunt on me, thanks a lot. The worst is Civilization - I know it's 2050, or someone's got to another star, or everyone else is a burning ruin, I still wanna play, I want to complete what I set out to do. Don't count score after the official game end or whatever if that'll ruin your precious high scores list.

This is as crazy as if Simcity said "Congratulations, your city now has 100,000 sims" and kicked you back to the main menu. Maxis are bright enough not to do this, why aren't others?

- Quboid

3. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 12:33 necrosis

This is actually really good info that the game does this. Alot of "open ended" games have some "point of no return" where once you pass, its ending credits or bust.

The Witcher (which I just beat) is the same way. Hit a point and forget going back for other quests and what not. Missed the 'uber gear' and found the ending hard as hell till I loaded a old save, completed that quest and continued on.

I would also like to say its nice to know some reviewers out there 1) actually PLAY the game 2) are real gamers. Most reviews like IGN and GameSpot I doubt would EVER report on something like this that matters much to the gaming community.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2008, 12:37.

2. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 11:28 Flo

Was the same in Fallout 1 but 2 let you continue...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

1. Re: Fallout 3 Warning Oct 28, 2008, 11:28 InBlack

Kind of sucks you cant continue playing the game after you complete the main quest...  

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo