Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3

As noted on the Fallout Website, Fallout 3 should now be available (to the minute) in North America for those willing to brave insanity by taking part in the midnight madness at participating Best Buy stores. Fallout 3 is Bethesda Softworks' continuation of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series created by Black Isle Studios in the late 1990s. The Fallout 3 Overview outlines the game, while the Fallout FAQ looks to clear up any remaining questions. In an odd related note, BigDownload reports they and other sites were asked to remove Fallout 3 trailers from their downloads area "in connection with ESRB's advertising guidelines," but it's not very clear exactly which guideline is being followed here.

View
116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 12:45 Krovven

It feels EXACTLY like Oblivion with guns to me, and everyone else who's played it that I've talked to.

That's what I was afraid of.

I watched a few gameplay (non marketing) videos last night and the animations are very poorly done and the player movement seems very stiff. I also don't like how the camera is constantly whipping around to an external cam during combat, etc.

I may check this out down the road when it's cheap. In the meantime I'm quite content playing Far Cry 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 12:43 JayDeath

So the crack is useless if you actually bought the game from an American retailer like you said you did.

Dude, I just took a break from playing the game. What are you talking about? I am playing the game! Of course it works.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

54. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 12:15 Ludomancer

Dear Nefilim, I hope you get syphilis and die you pirate fuck!

Just wanted you to know "CrimsonPaw", my download should finish in... oooh, 2 more hours!

For me, I'm going to stop by and actually BUY a copy like I have every other game for the past 10 years...

Thank you for paying my paychecks for the last decade! Tool.

53. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 12:14 nin

And being banned for trying to help others play a game that they PAID for is bullshit. I don't pirate games but if there's something out there that'll fix the problem, then why is it a big deal because it isnt official. Screw that, I paid for the game and I want to play it. Bethesda shouldnt be punishing the paying customers that expect the game to actually work.

Most board run by the dev/publisher will ban you for that, though. Nothing new. I'm not saying I agree with that stance of theirs, but it happens...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

52. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 12:13 Nefilim

I don't think you understand JayDeath....

The crack you are talking about is for the StarForce protection scheme, which the US version DOES NOT USE. It does NOTHING for SecuRom, which is the protection the US version uses.

So the crack is useless if you actually bought the game from an American retailer like you said you did.

51. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 12:09 JayDeath

The "patch" is a crack for the RUSSIAN pirated version of the game, it's not even for the US version of the game...

The install is in Russian. The game itself is not affected.

And being banned for trying to help others play a game that they PAID for is bullshit. I don't pirate games but if there's something out there that'll fix the problem, then why is it a big deal because it isnt official. Screw that, I paid for the game and I want to play it. Bethesda shouldnt be punishing the paying customers that expect the game to actually work.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2008, 12:10.

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 12:08 the_culture

1: The storyline is a lot more meaty and a lot less overbearingly cliched.

2: Any 'dungeons' aren't simply 3 varieties that repeat 400 times with nearly the exact same look and layout and monster placements, and called 'tuns of content.'

3: There aren't 4 voice actors doing the narrative for 300 characters and 3 distinguished ones doing the 'main roles.'

4: They drop that frustratingly pathetic 'enemies level with you' system. When at level 3 you can kill goblins in 2-4 blows but at level 23 you need to hit the exact same goblin 30-60 times before it goes down, you know the system is absolutely FUBAR. Drop it, never pick it up again.. I'm talking to you Bethesda.

1- As of now, the story seems to be better than Oblivion.

2- Man, I hope this doesn't happen. But I'm starting the game over on the PC so I'm sure someone else can verify if this is true...?

3- So far, this seems to be the case. You'll recognize many of the voices from Oblivion. They try to disguise their voices a little better but the "voice cast" seems like 6 people.

4- I think they "leveling with you system" has been dropped. I don't know for sure but while I was exploring I ran into 2 super mutants and they were extremely tough. Took me almost 10 minutes to bring them down. I was constantly running around and hiding, taking pot shots, using stimpaks.

49. Re: about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 11:52 Nefilim

Yeah, the patch out there works.

The "patch" is a crack for the RUSSIAN pirated version of the game, it's not even for the US version of the game...

No wonder they banned you from the official forums.

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:29 Cabezone

I have my doubts that the textures are any better in the PC version. The shitty Oblivion textures were shitty in both versions.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

47. about the crack Oct 28, 2008, 11:28 JayDeath

Yeah, the patch out there works. I'm playing now but don't mention it on the official forums. I'm suspended from using the forums now because I thought it might help others play the game. Oh well, I'm playing.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2008, 11:39.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:24 JayDeath

" Got it Pirated it last nite for the PC and still can't play it becasue of SecureRom bullshit. Why is the honest customer being punished? I am so sick of this DRM bullshit. Anyone come up with a possible fix? I know I'm not the only one with this problem."

There I fixed your text for you. Mr. Honest customer. And there is a working crack BTW.

Hey Dipshit, I bought the game last nite at BestBuy at midnight release, ya dumb fuck. Research before you accuse of pirating.

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:18 xXBatmanXx

Thanks culture - keep em comin'.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:16 Fion

If the combat is partly skill based IE your accuracy and damage aren't based completely on your own ability to aim your mouse (or gamepad), then I'll be fine with it as perhaps my favorite 'modern' cRPG uses a similar system, Vampire: Bloodlines. Combat is skill based (as is everything in the World of Darkness system, no levels.) So using weapons are rather sloppy at first but as your combat skills increase so does your accuracy, your timing and your ability to wield larger and more powerful weapons more securely. IE if you try using a sniper rifle on a character with not a single point in Firearms you cant hit a brick wall. However if your Firearms is 5 and your Dexterity is 5, you can take down a dozen enemies in a matter of seconds without them even realizing what hit them.

As to the game being to much like Oblivion, I don't mind as long as they take care of a few things, namely;

1: The storyline is a lot more meaty and a lot less overbearingly cliched.

2: Any 'dungeons' aren't simply 3 varieties that repeat 400 times with nearly the exact same look and layout and monster placements, and called 'tuns of content.'

3: There aren't 4 voice actors doing the narrative for 300 characters and 3 distinguished ones doing the 'main roles.'

4: They drop that frustratingly pathetic 'enemies level with you' system. When at level 3 you can kill goblins in 2-4 blows but at level 23 you need to hit the exact same goblin 30-60 times before it goes down, you know the system is absolutely FUBAR. Drop it, never pick it up again.. I'm talking to you Bethesda.

If they deal with those 4 issues and make sure to have plenty of mod support so us PC players can mod out all the horrible design decisions you've made and upgrade the graphics to what a high end PC game should really look like, then I think I'll buy the game.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:15 the_culture

Oh, forgot to add: you've probably seen from the video that when you enter into a conversation with someone, you lose control of the camera and it zooms into the person, just like in Oblivion. I hated it in Oblivion and I hate it even more here.

One thing items of note: In oblivion there were plenty of times where I would be wandering around and come upon a cave or dungeon with no real purpose other than to explore and loot. Though I liked the open feeling and the ability to do that at any time, I hated the fact that it was all irrelevant. 9 times out of 10 it didn't matter whether I entered the cave or not.

Sure, it would be cleared of monsters or bandits, but it didn't matter to anyone other than me.

I had hoped it would be different in Fallout 3 but I don't think that's the case. I wish there was some kind of quest reward system for doing that.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:09 the_culture

Here are some of my thoughts on the PS3 version I was playing last Friday:

I'm playing on a 42" LCD in 720p.

I've only played inside the Vault (just about to exit). So far, the game is pretty good. It does a decent job of "masking" the tutorials. The back of the case says it requires a 5GB install. Strangely enough, there was no install screen. It happens during the beginning gameplay, which I thought was pretty cool.

Actual install size was more like 4.2GB, but maybe there's more to come...?

Voice acting is pretty good, especially your dad. Using the PIP-Boy is a little different but you get used to it quickly.

There's been very little actual gameplay, so I can't comment on that just yet. Movement is smooth and buttons can be remapped. On the default settings the screen was a bit dark so I had to adjust the brightness. Not sure if it was my TV or the game bu it's not a big deal.

Graphics: A real mixed bag. Many of the textures are muddy and not very sharp. (can't wait to compare it to the PC version). Nothing really looks next-gen quality. Granted this is a game that's supposed to have a nostalgic and old feel to it, but the graphics just look dated.

Character animations aren't that special either, a little stiff. I think Oblivion animations were better but I'd have to play Oblivion again since it's been a while.

I haven't made it outside yet so the game hasn't really started, but it's not very impressive. However, it wasn't until I left the sewers in Oblivion that I was really impressed, so the same may be true with Fallout 3.

It feels like you don't spend as much time "inside" in Fallout 3 as you did in Oblivion.

The game does a good job explaining the stats and skills and which ones affect others. As for VATS, the jury is still out. I've only had 1 confrontation and I used VATS... and it made me not want to use it again. Mainly because it feels slow and clunky, but then again, maybe it's because Bethesda wanted it that way to simulate a turn-based feel.

I then played some more (exited the Vault, found Springvale, found the Elementary School, visited Megaton) and the VATS system is growing on me. There are times when I actually prefer it.

One thing that's really driving me crazy is the color pallet. Just wait until you visit Megaton. It makes things really hard to make out. I know this is a post-apocalyptic experience but I wish there was a bit more variety in colors and textures.

The Karma system seems ok. You steal, you lose Karma. You help someone, you gain Karma. I ran into my first character who wouldn't join me because I was a "goody two shoes."

As of now, I personally have trouble making out where I am at times. With Oblivion, you had a world map and it was fairly easy to figure out where you were and where you needed to go. With Fallout 3, the world map is too small and I'm constantly scrolling around to get my bearings. Also, since the landscape is very similar, it's hard to look around and know which direction to go.

After playing it for a couple of days, I'm definitely going for the PC version instead. I'm hoping the controls are better and the textures improve.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 11:00 InBlack

Yeah any objective or even subjective feedback would be welcome!  

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 10:58 Frijoles

According to this thread, SecuROM is being used for the disc check, but that's it.  

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 10:54 xXBatmanXx

So only 1 post thus far has kind of talked about the game......how about everyone STFU and lets hear from people who...oh I dunno - HAVE PLAYED THE FUCKING GAME!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 10:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Or so I heard, don't have the game myself yet.. prolly gonna grab it on steam to avoid all the BS.

Apparently SecuROM is present in the Steam version as well.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 10:47 Nefilim

They lied apparently.

Or so I heard, don't have the game myself yet.. prolly gonna grab it on steam to avoid all the BS.

116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo