Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3

As noted on the Fallout Website, Fallout 3 should now be available (to the minute) in North America for those willing to brave insanity by taking part in the midnight madness at participating Best Buy stores. Fallout 3 is Bethesda Softworks' continuation of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series created by Black Isle Studios in the late 1990s. The Fallout 3 Overview outlines the game, while the Fallout FAQ looks to clear up any remaining questions. In an odd related note, BigDownload reports they and other sites were asked to remove Fallout 3 trailers from their downloads area "in connection with ESRB's advertising guidelines," but it's not very clear exactly which guideline is being followed here.

View
116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

116. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Nov 3, 2008, 17:39 Yosemite Sam

Well seeing as the PS3 version was a no sale for me, my biggest issue is no 1080 support(my TV doesnt do 720 so 480 is what I would see) and after determining that my PC setup wouldnt crap out becuase of Securom, I picked it up. The voice acting is pretty lame RE half a dozen people doing all the voiceovers, or so it seems. I did have a CTD on exit the first time I played and it does seem to get heavy lag sometimes, though I did max out all the settings with 2AA and 4AF. Other then that the game is a blast, I am throughly enjoying the experience. I rarely ever use the VATS system, unless I can get in close enough for a sneak attack, then its great for that one shot surprise kill. I find point and click shooting is working good for me. So far as I can tell its a really good RPG, so many customization options on level ups that you can make very unique characters and how the NPCs react to you according to how you play, though I would have to play another game as a bad person to know for sure. Tha way they set up hacking terminals is great and the overall landscape and interiors is wonderful. Definaltly a buy, assuming of course you can run it, my PC is dedicated to games only so I had no conflicts. Heh anyone else think the first time you got to Megaton 'Danger Will Robinson!'

Anyone noticed that the looting in this game kinda sucks? Compared to Oblivion, the houses in Fallout3 have hardly anything worth searching for. Most of them just have cups and saucers.

I was actually thinking the opposite, its been two hundred years, I would think there would be nothing left to be found. I keep finding cartons of cigs and food everywhere, heh like there would be any smokes left after one year never mind two hundred

EDIT oh ya if you are playing this on a PC, FALLOUT.INI change fDefaultFOV=75.0000 to fDefaultFOV=95.2000 for 16:10 widescreen, thanks to www.widescreengamingforum.com

EDIT looks like I spoke too soon, three CTDs in my last couple of sessions

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 16:13.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

115. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Nov 3, 2008, 11:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Is it as prevalent in fo3?

It's not as obvious as in Oblivion, but there is still a fair amount of voice actor repetition.

114. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Nov 3, 2008, 00:00 Dwarf_Snowninja

I think the part that scares me about this and annoyed me to hell in oblivion was the voice acting. Felt like a bunch of clones followed me from village to village/dungeon/cave/whatever. Is it as prevalent in fo3?  

113. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Nov 2, 2008, 10:10 Lit_Reflex001

Needs more cowbell.  

112. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Nov 2, 2008, 01:44 Fuzzmatang

Bought it (subsequently trnted it since it kept crashing on me).

It's actually not bad. Reminds me of Vampire: Bloodlines at times. However, the dialogue is crap, typical Bethesda polish garbage (stiff animations, console-ized UI/PIPboy, already mentioned by others). I still don't see the point of VATS other than an auto-aim easy button with a mix of slow-motion Soldier of Fortune. I can foresee some great potential with mods later down the road.

So Fallout, part 3 it isn't...but a decent FP-ARPG in a Fallout-esque world it is.

111. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 31, 2008, 11:33 Cabezone

I liked Oblivion for the first 8 hours and then it fizzled out with cookie-cutter dungeons and too easy combat. I'm playing Fallout 3 now and enjoying it, but I wonder if 8 hours of gameplay later, it will end up too easy and generic like Oblivion ultimately was. Just saying that first impressions of a game arent reliable.

So far every location I've been or "dungeon" has some kind of story attached to it. The combat in each place might be similar but the added story makes it all more interesting. It gives you a purpose and a sense of discovery.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

110. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 31, 2008, 08:41 Dades

I'm about 12 hours in and it's still a blast. There are plenty of games these days that deliver 8 hours of fun for $50.00, Fallout3 looks like you could easily get 40-60 out of it. It's just an excellent title. Are there flaws? Sure. Is it worth $50.00? Absolutely.  

109. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 31, 2008, 07:35 dryden555

I liked Oblivion for the first 8 hours and then it fizzled out with cookie-cutter dungeons and too easy combat. I'm playing Fallout 3 now and enjoying it, but I wonder if 8 hours of gameplay later, it will end up too easy and generic like Oblivion ultimately was. Just saying that first impressions of a game arent reliable.  

108. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 22:24 Paranoid Jack

I agree wholeheartedly. It is far better than Oblivion when it comes to some of the cRPG elements and storyline/dialog options. I think it may be enough for most people to get over the changes made between the originals and F3. I'm thinking over-all it will be a positive gaming experience. At least I hope so. I plan to re-roll the character I plan on playing through out my first time through. Going evil thieving murderous bastard just for the fun of it.

Hope I don't make a post later as bad as my last. I must have been more tired than I thought. I didn't even hit spell check.

107. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 19:15 Dades

Both made by Bethesda, both share many of the same gameplay elements and problems as Oblivion, both RPG's, etc...

It's really not Oblivion though. The storyline is fairly deep and even the sidequests are well crafted with a variety of ways of completing them. I mean comparing them is fine but Fallout3 is a lot better than Oblivion. I didn't think I would like VATS that much but its actually pretty enjoyable. I have a minor quibbles with the keybindings but ultimately its a very well polished game.

106. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 30, 2008, 18:51 Cabezone

You can definitely compare it to Oblivion. The same way you can compare a masterpiece like Plansescape Torment to Icewind Dale. Both games use the same engine and "play" similar, but are two very different experiences.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

105. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 18:02 Krovven

STOP COMPARING THIS TO OBLIVION!!

Both made by Bethesda, both share many of the same gameplay elements and problems as Oblivion, both RPG's, etc...

So why shouldn't they be compared again?

104. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 30, 2008, 17:43 Cabezone

This game rocks, it's every bit as good as the originals. It's also miles better than Oblivion, which I did not like.

You may go back to your hate.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

103. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 30, 2008, 17:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Yep. I'm definitely going to wait until there are some dev tools for this one. It'll be too frustrating to play it as it is. Hopefully some of the problems will get fixed in the near future. They need to release tools pronto!  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

102. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 17:03 Dan

the issue that i seem to notice with most of you is...STOP COMPARING THIS TO OBLIVION!!! this is Fallout 3. so take a look at the other 2 and compare this game to those...I have been a fallout fan for as long as the games have been out...and waiting nearly a decade will make you appreciate a game alot better. as for the VATS...it is not in real time because the producers wanted to implement the turn based action of the previous two games as well as some FPS action for the more modern gaming style...as for my 2 cents...graphics are great...storyline is freaking wonderful...menu system is awesome...VATS...greatly improved(and the views are awesome)...so many different features about this game will make it a wonderful candidate for game of the year!  

101. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 30, 2008, 11:21 siapnar

Yeah, the combat is pretty shallow, really.. and as you said Scottish, VATS is just a glorified autoaim. It kind of feels like cheating, really. You stop time altogether to take cheap shots at your enemy. I think it would be much cooler if VATS was real time and more effective depending on your stats. It would feel much more intense, too.

Anyone noticed that the looting in this game kinda sucks? Compared to Oblivion, the houses in Fallout3 have hardly anything worth searching for. Most of them just have cups and saucers.
I know it's a wasteland and it should be pretty desolate of items, but it makes searching for 'treasure' not really worthwhile or enjoyable.

I have projectile dysfunction.

100. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 01:35 Paranoid Jack

I've re-rolled several characters to try different stats and see how they effect combat. So far I am seeing the same things Oblivion had... for better or worse, thats up to you.

I've noticed a lot of randomness to creature types spawning but locations seem to be pretty much set. Bad news? I was level one just out of the Vault and took out a deathclaw (random spawn apparantly) with about a dozen or more shots. Hard to tell how many hit since it's more or less a cone of fire with some randomness built in. Either way it was sad how slow the Deathclaw moved. He was more like a Deathsloth. It only got one hit on me before I brought it down. Without using VATS. Shortly after I met the three Raiders (one of which has a flamethrower) and they handed my ass to me.

My guess is that the game will get silly easy as you level the stats you prefer according to your game-play style. Like Oblivion where I played a stealthy lizard assasin that could single head shot about half the targets I took out.

I tried the kill somebody in Megaton route too. I was swarmed by about a dozen people who beat and shot me down within ten seconds after VATS ran it's course.

I like the feel of the Wasteland and the dialog isn't too bad. I'm thinking the exporation and quest will make it a decent game. Time will tell.

99. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 01:33 Scottish Martial Arts

I also wanted to say that although I've been mostly negative about Fallout 3 so far, I'm still having fun with it. It doesn't feel much like a Fallout game, and it still has all of Oblivion's flaws, but it still manages to improve on Oblivion and be a decent first person shooter. I highly doubt I'll still be playing this a decade from now, and it certainly doesn't even hold a candle to the originals, but I'm sure I'll finish it and don't feel like I flushed money down the toilet by buying it. I still think this is a lame sequel and that Bethesda was the absolute wrong choice of developer, but on the other hand, for what it is, Fallout 3 isn't terrible either.  

98. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 01:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Either you're talking shit or you're playing on the easiest mode or something.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty. I met the Super-Mutant in a tricycle factory that I think was to the southwest of Megaton. It took a clip worth of VATS headshots to bring him down, plus 2 stimpacks to keep me alive, but was otherwise no trouble. Given that I had about 100 rounds of 10mm ammunition and 20 stimpacks, that was hardly a huge outlay of resources to kill what had been in the earlier games one of the most dangerous foes you could encounter.

In other news, I've got a pretty good feel for VATS and the combat system now, so here are my thoughts: VATS is a slightly more sophisticated autoaim system, nothing more. Locational damage is in the game, whether you use VATS or not. Therefore, if you're a good shot, you can simply aim for your targets head and score critical hits without having to wait for your action points to regenerate. VATS is just a tool to be used if you don't want to go through the trouble of aiming, or you really want to see a slow motion rag doll fly through the air. Other than that, combat is exactly like any other first person shooter. Combat skills affect damage, both in and out of VATS, and your accuracy, in VATS only; in other words, combat skills don't seem to have a dramatic impact on your character's ability to fight.

97. Re: My Two Cents Oct 30, 2008, 01:04 siapnar

Just killed a super mutant at level three with my basic 10mm pistol. Either combat is insanely easy in this game, or Oblivion-style level is in.

Either you're talking shit or you're playing on the easiest mode or something.
I'm playing on hard and I threw 3 grenades dead on at a super mutant as well as popped him 5 times in the head with my 10mm and he still kicked my ass. I was level 4.

Either way, this game is stupid on hard mode. A fly takes 3 point blank shots to it's one wing to go down.
I fought a raider and he took a GRENADE and 15 shots to drop.
I don't care if this is an RPG where some enemies take more hits cause they're higher level, it is stupid when a human character takes the punishment I just described. It's not fun to play, basically.
I fucking hate it when developers substitute good AI for massive hit points to make enemies harder (unless it's DOOM or Painkiller of course).
I'm tempted to start over again on normal mode just so every enemy isn't made of titanium.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 01:11.

I have projectile dysfunction.

116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo