Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Guys Succeed in Making a Palace Guard Laugh (thanks Ant). I was in England years ago and got a palace guard to smile, but we didn't have a video camera, and my girlfriend didn't catch it with her still camera. Funny thing is it was at a side entrance that was a bit out of the way, and I recall it looking very much like the post in the video (maybe that's where they exile the smilers). I'm not sure I should trust my memory on this though, because I can't really recall what I did to get him to crack, but it was actually not intentional, it's not like I was messing with him.

Smiling Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Draw-Play 3. Thanks Jay is Games.
Story: Gun Sales Thriving In Uncertain Times. Thanks brother19.
Science: Science finds a way to erase Wall Street's errors.
Earth's core getting colder (ScienceAlert)
Image: Master Chief Costume Looks Great, Will Break The Bank.
Media: Wii Music Cowbell Demonstration. Needs more cowbell.
The Funnies: Pearls Before Swine. Thanks brother19.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 22:03 xXBatmanXx

Far Cry 2 is 32.90 @ gogamer....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 18:15 skyguy

All he needs is a paypal link. I've used adblock since I started using FF, and I'm not going to stop using it now...

nin -- you don't have to stop using adblock. Download adblock plus (same thing as adblock, with new features) and use that. Then when you're on bluesnews.com, click on the ABP stop sign in the upper right and click "disable on bluesnews.com"

Oh yeah and for you 64-bit Vista users -- just use 64-bit Internet Explorer and you don't have to worry about flash at all.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 15:21 Cutter

That Hulk ad is damn anooying too. And cheap, unless you click on the little X instead of where it actually says close, it launches a new browser for that crappy movie.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Earth's core getting colder (ScienceAle Oct 28, 2008, 13:47 Jim

Its global cooling!  
Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 13:40 theSAWzall

I can't believe it is snowing here. I am still wearing my Phillies cap and it is snowing!  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 11:07  Blue 

Okay, I have brought the "UFO Hunters" ad to the attention of the powers that be, and I am attempting to start a dialog (or more accurately, another dialog) about misbehaving flash ads (noisy, no close button, etc.).

The reports on specific ads are helpful in trying to address these issues, so please accompany any complaints you have about ads with as much specific info as you can provide. Thanks, and apologies for the annoyances.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 10:50 Fibrocyte

You have ADS.
Yes, you have ADS.
I hate to tell you, boy, you have ADS.
You got the ADS.
You may have caught it when you stuck that filthy needle in here.
Or maybe all that unprotected sex which we hear.
It isnít clear, but what weíre certain of is that you have ADS.
Yes, you have ADS.
Not HIV, but full-blown ADS.
Be sure that you see that this is not HIV, but full blown ADS.
Not HIV, but full-blown ADS.
Iím sorry, I wish it was something less serious, but itís ADS.
Youíve got the ADS.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 10:45 Term

I myself have Blue's News on the exception list for Adblock Plus. And if there are annoying ads, I just turn the adblocker back on.

Beside my will to give back to Blue by viewing and clicking his ads, unfortunately (and ironically) I create a lot of flash-based web content and ads for clients myself and have to check that stuff on numerous sites, so to block/unblock certain sites is way too much hassle for me in my daily workflow.

I have absolutely no problem with the ads per se, just as long as they at least function properly and don't crash my browser, burst my speakers or get displayed over content with no way to close them. And I'm pretty sure that Blue is interested in having his site convenient to browse for all kinds of users, not only for those who block the ads. But as I said, I'm afraid his influence on the selection of ads is minimal... it just surprises me that all the other UGO sites I checked don't seem to be affected by faulty ads.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 10:11 nin

some people don't want to block ads on Blue's, because that's the way he pays the bills.
I myself have Blue's News on the exception list for Adblock Plus. And if there are annoying ads, I just turn the adblocker back on.

All he needs is a paypal link. I've used adblock since I started using FF, and I'm not going to stop using it now...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 09:42 WarPig

Yeah Blue, you may want to kill the UFO Hunters ad because it's killing not only your site but it's completely freezing up my browser (FF). The latest version of Flash 10 eventually pops up and gives the options of not running it, which is the only way get anything to respond.  

GO SEAHAWKS!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 07:30 Buckermann

D4rkKnight,
some people don't want to block ads on Blue's, because that's the way he pays the bills.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 06:22 D4rkKnight

I had the same issue with the ads, but ever since I installed the Adblock add-on they've all gone away.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 05:27 InBlack

Ok, now Im getting "abort Flash Player 9 scripts" box popups everytime that UFO Hunters ad loads. It still causes my machine to hang for a few minutes everytime the ad loads despite the warning.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 05:22 InBlack

+1 with Term, Im getting terrible popups, not only are they annoying as hell some of them cant actually be closed, you have to watch them all the way through.  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 04:46 Hoop

I to can confirm terms turmoil, if it helps Im on vista 64 and explorer ... no prior problems.
Blue its always the way, your wrestling with your faucet and people start complaining about the flash!

Um .. Behind you...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2008, 04:25 Term

Seriously Blue, the ad situation on your site is way out of control. I'm all in for supporting your site by viewing your ads and occasionally clicking on them, but it would be fine to be able to read your content once in a while as well. Yesterday the frame beneath your OotB once again loaded an extremely noisy flash site, this time for dareyoutowatch.com. Today the entire site wouldn't load at all, because the "Ufo Hunters" ad in the upper right has a faulty script which crashes Flash 9 and IE, unless you end the script in the popup window that Flash launches. On reload, I was greeted with a flash layover ad for "Role Models", which had no close button so I had to sit through 15 seconds of animation before I could get to your headlines.

I know you have limited control over the way ads are placed on your site, but since your site is the only one giving me so much trouble I thought you should know.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo