Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Plague Plagues WoW

The zombie invasion that recently began in World of Warcraft to pave the way for the launch of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for Blizzard's MMORPG is not popular with all players, reports Ripten (thanks Mike Martinez). The plague of Zombies seems particularly unpopular with PvE players, who feel they are having PvP game elements force upon them, and many players finding the game unplayable due to the large number of NPCs turning up dead, or undead, or something. They point the way to a post on the World of Warcraft Forums from Blizzard on the situation:

We do appreciate the feedback; if threads are being deleted, it's because the moderators are trying to keep things consolidated and constructive, not because they seek to stifle dissenters.

As I have stated, if this was planned to last any longer than it is, we would have been a great deal more leery of the wide-reaching effects of the plague. This has been anticipated; I respect the concept that some people dislike it and we'll certainly take that into account, but this was an event meant to impact players in all walks of life and routines. I am in no way stating it was perfect, and should we do something like this again the feedback both for and against will be taken into account when changes are made, particularly pertaining to lower level players. This event absolutely was meant to shake up the status quo of the average WoW day, and in that it's been successful.

It will still continue as planned, but for those of you less than fond of the plague, you don't have much longer to wait.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. It's so annoying... Oct 27, 2008, 19:28 BlightCrawler

Everytime I get turned into a Zombie as I'm running around trying to do quests and level. But I attack something anyway, a nearby PC or NPC. And the zombie powers give you something different to do and next thing I know I'm running around having a blast trying to build a zombie horde against NPCs to slap a passing PC to give them the disease.

So, all in all, yeah, it's a disruption, but a fun one that as much needed spice to the game. If I didn't have Halloween quests I was trying to get done before the end of the holidays, I'm sure I'd dive into this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 19:04 Teddy

Its the children who sit down and whine instead of using the brain to understand that the game has temporarily changed. As this plague spreads across the land.

Which is of course your attempt at trying to seem older. I know many people 30+ who are irritated as hell about this event.

It's not the zombies, it's not the fact that you can get infected. It's the fact that douchebags are making it a point to kill off as many flight masters in obscure locations as they can, leaving you to either spend the extra half hour walking somewhere, or waiting on the mob to respawn only to be infected yourself, die and respawn just in time to watch them kill the flight master again.

The story is interesting. The implementation is pathetic and poorly thought out. They should at the very least have the healers standing beside all the flight masters alongside some heavy duty 75+ guards that will destroy anyone trying to kill flight masters. I could care less about any other npcs.

42. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 18:38 Xyggy

In other words, Blizzard is stating, "Tough shit and suck it up!"

Nice, though I do think it's a fun event.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 18:38.

41. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 18:09 Dwarf_Snowninja

Oh I dont disagree Kxmode, I'm just saying I can sympathize with being frustrated as you watch your quest turn get killed over and over; people have actually resorted to reported for this behavior? Sheesh...  

40. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 17:10 Talisorn

The best fun I've had in ages was last night with a running battle up and down the corridors of Ironforge. The bastard zombies outflanked us and trapped us in the Warlock/Rogue district, but we had more than enough priests to clear the disease and we managed to break out. Eventually we wiped them out ... we think. Zombie Massacre FTW!!

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 17:11.

39. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 17:03 Dades

This is going nowhere so I'll just say if you have fun with Wrath, let us both hope the servers are solid and latency free. I assume we can at least agree on that?

Fair enough sir though I think we both know how launch is going to go (poorly)

38. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 16:38 Kxmode

I can sympathize with people in nub zones getting squashed by 70s that are bored (on a pve server that is).

I've had players on my faction call me vile names and then say they'll report because I killed them as a zombie. I LOL then say go ahead. Actually I encourage them to do it. Blizzard probably has received so many of these complaints that they probably have a special place just for those complaints.

This should whip up their hatred for the Lich King. I mean HE is the one doing it... I'm just enjoying the chaos of it all.

37. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 16:27 Kxmode

@Dades

This is going nowhere so I'll just say if you have fun with Wrath, let us both hope the servers are solid and latency free. I assume we can at least agree on that?

36. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 16:10 ColoradoHoudini

I find no issue in this few weeks of "alternative" time in the game.
My main is in full Sunwell gear.. i don't PvP.. i don't need to do quests.. etc.
This game has been out for 4 years, I have done everything I need to do in this game to this point. I am just awaiting the new expansion.. until then, for me .. this invasion is a fun side story.
-shrug-

35. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 16:08 Dades

Hear, hear! PvP has been PvE-irized in WoW. So lame.

Nah it's back, Wintergrasp is in beta is so much fun. They've really done a lot to reintroduce world PvP. The Halaa Nagrand stuff was a start but they really hit a home run this time. Plus not everyone likes world pvp in the first place and WoW is all about choice unlike other MMO's. Some people can't handle the fact that not everyone shares their opinion, so they get upset when they can't "gank noobs" and so on.

34. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 16:05 Dwarf_Snowninja

My favorite is getting zombiefied in shatt then jumping into one of the horde portals (I'm alli) and rampaging around as much as I can before I get squashed. My only real beef with the thing is the dispel resist on the disease in insanely high. I've gone oom trying to remove disease then pop... zombie.

As for it "forcing things onto people" yeah that may be so, but you're inconvenienced for all of 4 minutes sheesh. Plus when you DO get infected and die, you get the nifty armor bug for about 30 minutes (my shaman had 23k armor for about 10 minutes in av) where it stacks incorrectly.

Edit: I can sympathize with people in nub zones getting squashed by 70s that are bored (on a pve server that is). Personally I mostly go for guards and the like and outright ignore bankers and flightmasters (the latter due to the huge lag it causes when they spawn a gazillion birds).

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 16:10.

33. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:56 shinchan0s

Seriously. Not enough Warcraft fans play WoW. I'm willing to bet half of the player base had never touched a Blizzard game before WoW came along and of that half 99% play on PvE servers. They're all vaginas.

BTW. This was an awesome idea. I kinda wish I still played it.

I've read many forums and listened to plenty of podcasts with avid EVE players basically all spouting the same things. They collectively see WOW as one big massive Carebear games (PVE and PVP). They feel like they can't loot the player's corpse. Or own the factions capitol cities. Or harvest resources on the enemy's lands. Basically they feel like there's no point to PVP because it's not meaningful.

Of course you would know this if you actually did some reading and listening about what other MMO gamers think about WOW.

Hear, hear! PvP has been PvE-irized in WoW. So lame.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 15:59.

32. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:41 Jow

I've read many forums and listened to plenty of podcasts with avid EVE players basically all spouting the same things. They collectively see WOW as one big massive Carebear games (PVE and PVP). They feel like they can't loot the player's corpse. Or own the factions capitol cities. Or harvest resources on the enemy's lands. Basically they feel like there's no point to PVP because it's not meaningful.

THAT, in a nutshell, is why I quit WoW for the final time about a week ago. Not only is it not meaningful but on a world level it's flawed beyond belief.

31. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:39 D4rkKnight

WoW drama  

30. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:37 Dades

According to your flawed logic then they should have skipped the Wrath beta altogether and launched the game as-is. Yeah that would've really turned out well. For something as large as WOW testing their technology (game client, server infrastructure, balance, etc.) is absolutely necessary. Only a foolish company wouldn't do this.

No, that's you twisting my words to suit your purposes. Every major story progression in the game is proceeded by an event. If you played WoW, you would realize this. The Wrath of the Lick King represents a significant story shift of the game and it's underlying focus. They have been retooling the Naxxramas invasion event for months in preparation for this. Did you really think they just said "oh hey guys lets test some shit, throw up an event"? Even an event in WoW takes a huge amount of manpower to put together, that in itself is millions of dollars. They don't throw them around like candy just to test things. They've said this publicly several times when asked by players why there aren't more events.

Your logic is also flawed because the expansion itself is already gold and is hitting in 2 weeks. I'm sure you think a company can just snap its fingers and infrastructure appears but you can't throw money at every problem you face. Testing something on this scale has no purpose, they are well aware of the capacity issues they're facing but there's not much more they can do about it without needlessly wasting more money than either of us will ever see in our lifetimes.

Of course you would know this if you actually did some reading and listening about what other MMO gamers think about WOW.

Uh, I've played Eve-Online I know exactly what people think of it and why. That doesn't make it magically better than any other MMO out there. Ultima Online had lootable corpses while you were probably in high school.

29. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:25 Kxmode

Uh, it's an event designed to introduce Wrath of The Lich King so I'm not sure why you think it's some big conspiracy theory type thing to stress test the servers. They've been through the launch and one expansion already, they have a good idea of what the servers can handle. The problem is that you can't plan for overcapacity very well, it doesn't make sense to spend money to provision for one week out of an entire year.

According to your flawed logic then they should have skipped the Wrath beta altogether and launched the game as-is. Yeah that would've really turned out well. For something as large as WOW testing their technology (game client, server infrastructure, balance, etc.) is absolutely necessary. Only a foolish company wouldn't do this.

As if Eve-Online players are in any position to mock others. They're practically playing an Excel spreadsheet and the entire game is fueled by the same repetitive betrayal type of player drama. Eve-Online is the most mock worthy MMO I've ever encountered.

28. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:15 david

Maybe the REAL immature players are the ones who enjoy the "Brains" warcry and run around being "dickheads" infecting NPC's and such. The interuption of a players routine with the invasion is all well and good to introduce the Storyline - but enoughs ENOUGH! It really isn't that much fun - whats fun about it? I want to level - do I get XP? - Nope - just a repair bill - I like raiding - I have leveled up 5 70's to raid - not to play hide and seek with stupid players or Zombies!!  

27. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 15:12 Elessar

IN-credible. I went to the forum link and felt the gaming enjoyment life-force being sucked right out of me. Luckily, I quickly became aware of this and closed the window.

How sad that people get into such a tizzy about their routines getting sidetracked for a bit. I understand there are raids, levels, mats and gold to GRIND out day after day. But seriously, it's a game and more importantly it's a roleplaying game told by the game makers at Blizzard. And they'll tell it and implement it however it damn-well pleases them. It's unfortunate they have to account for the complete mass of whiner's because people can't have it the way they want. I truly feel like the majority are missing out on even more quality community experiences because of people like this. It's a shame.

I totally agree with Wallshadows "get the fuck over it or shelf your copy and go outside till the 13th."

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

26. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 14:47 Dades

I don't think it's a mere coincidence that it is happening less than three weeks from WotLK.

Uh, it's an event designed to introduce Wrath of The Lich King so I'm not sure why you think it's some big conspiracy theory type thing to stress test the servers. They've been through the launch and one expansion already, they have a good idea of what the servers can handle. The problem is that you can't plan for overcapacity very well, it doesn't make sense to spend money to provision for one week out of an entire year.

Spend tens of millions of dollars on servers that will be sitting around useless after the player base stops gangbanging the servers or spend nothing and know that people will tolerate it for a little while. Not a tough business decision.

The EVE Online players are probably collectively saying "carebears" lol.

As if Eve-Online players are in any position to mock others. They're practically playing an Excel spreadsheet and the entire game is fueled by the same repetitive betrayal type of player drama. Eve-Online is the most mock worthy MMO I've ever encountered.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 14:49.

25. Re: WoW Plague Plagues WoW Oct 27, 2008, 14:33 Wallshadows

I think the real reason Blizzard did this is to test server stress, because each server has its own bandwidth load.

I'd believe it. For the first time in a very long time, Eldre'Thalas is having server queues so obviously their servers are getting pounded more than in previous times and I don't think it's a mere coincidence that it is happening less than three weeks from WotLK.

The latency is not suffering either.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo