Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steaminess

Direct2Drive now offers online sales of Far Cry 2 in North America, while Steam now also offers the shooter sequel for "most of Europe, Australia, and New Zealand" (thanks theyarecomingforyou). Other new downloads via Valve's online service include three new games: Baseball Mogul 2009, Exodus from the Earth, and Space Trader: Merchant Marine; and a number of new game updates, covering Counter-Strike 1.6 and Condition Zero, The Ship, Multiwinia, the Half-Life 1 Engine, and Spectraball.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steam Oct 27, 2008, 07:31 JaZeeL

Wow, yeah, sorry, I completely misread that post...

I guess my mind was more on the impending release of Fallout 3, and it was already very much common knowledge that FarCry 2 had SecuROM DRM (posts about it days ago). *wipes off the lenses of his glasses*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steam Oct 27, 2008, 03:30 Frode

Actually, unlike for Far Cry 2 and other games on Steam's browser-based store...it does NOT casually mention SecuROM on the Fallout 3 store page.

The title of this thread is "Euro Far Cry 2", not "Fallout". I guess I should have specified for those with no reading comprehension, but I was obviously referring to Far Cry, not Fallout.

Sadly, I suspect it's only a matter of time before Fallout gets the same notice though. Damn shame.

5. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steaminess Oct 26, 2008, 19:54 theyarecomingforyou

Fallout 3 does not list SecuROM limited activation on the Steam page, though neither did FarCry 2 originally.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steam Oct 26, 2008, 18:17 JaZeeL

Actually, unlike for Far Cry 2 and other games on Steam's browser-based store...it does NOT casually mention SecuROM on the Fallout 3 store page.

Look under Languages on the right side of the page and you'll see what I mean.

Far Cry 2 page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19900/
Fallout 3 page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/

3. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steaminess Oct 26, 2008, 07:58 Frode

Be warned, the Steam version has third party copy protection (SecuROM, 5 activations). I barely noticed in time to abort ordering.

At least Steam learned from BioShock and has started to include third party DRM info on the game's page from day one.

2. Re: Euro Far Cry 2 on Steam & More Steaminess Oct 26, 2008, 06:09 nofb

Sure enough, Far Cry 2 is already available in Europe on Steam, and Fallout 3 will be unlocked on the 31st.

However, both are much more expensive (about 35-40%) than if you buy them from Amazon or any other online shop, and you have to wait for this huge download which makes the delay about the same especially when the servers are on their knees (if they are online at all).

I'd gladly download games, music and software I buy instead of ordering the real product to be shipped, until they build more recyclable cases and so on, but the price has to be competitive. Here it's just plain abuse! Is that justified?

Besides, I like the paper manual - even if they get thinner and thinner, thanks to people who really can't concentrate on more than a couple page's reading

So thank you very much Steam but no, I'll wait until tomorrow and receive my copy of Far Cry 2 in the mailbox, I'll enjoy the fresh smell of plastic and drying ink, reading the fat manual (is there any? Anxious ), while saving money. It will give just enough time and bandwidth to download the nVidia driver updates...

1. Scene it? Oct 25, 2008, 16:07 Wildone

I cant get enuff of that shit  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo