Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate End Date

The Hellgate: London Website has Namco Bandai's announcement that January 31, 2009 will be the last day of online server support for Hellgate: London, the announcement coming less than a year after the game launched and scant months after the demise of developer Flagship Studios (thanks nin). Here's the announcement, which emphasizes the positive; the remaining life of the game is being supported for free:

Santa Clara, Calif., (October 24, 2008) - NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced that they will continue to support customers of PC game Hellgate™: London with online server support and play through January 31, 2009 despite the closure of Flagship Studios. In a further gesture of support, Namco Bandai Games will provide this server support free of charge to all fans and players of the game up until the shut down date.

NAMCO BANDAI Games appreciate the enthusiasm of all the Hellgate: London players and looks forward to providing them with future entertainment products.

For questions regarding the shut down or additional information about Hellgate: London, please visit the game’s official website at www.hellgatelondon.com.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Just wait Oct 26, 2008, 14:45 Bludd

Blizzard will hire many of the Flagship devs back and put them to work on Diablo 3.

Watch as Diablo 3 becomes pay2play and micropayments galore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Coming Next... Oct 26, 2008, 02:46 Cutter

Hellgate: The Class Action Suit.

Please, oh please, someone start a class-action suit against these jackoffs!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

40. MMOADD Oct 25, 2008, 13:49 Paranoid Jack

LOL Paranoid. Your comment gave me a great new gaming acronym. MMOADD! Basically it means a gamer who constantly moves from game to game without ever fully playing any of them. Which is perfect because MMOADD is pronounced "mo-add".

I've played a ton of games but you're assumption is correct. I rarely finish them. Only the best of them have I completed and gone back for more. Of course so many games on the market today are not meant to be finished. They have a start and a finish line to some degree but even then it's not necessarily a completion of the game since they are multiplayer-centric. Even games that have a single-player side to them... if I bought it mainly/only for the multi-player I focus on that which provides me the most entertainment and consider it worth the price of admission in most cases.

Single-player games I have finished since HL... only two off the top of my head... Stalker and the Witcher. There are dozens I have come close to finishing but the returns or entertainment value was lost somewhere along the way... or another title stole my attention away long enough that I never went back.

Even the best games fall victim to this on occasion. I have a friend who was playing MGS4 and loving it until another title diverted his attention. When he tried to get back into MGS4 the learning curve was too much and he didn't feel it worth starting from scratch a second time. He has yet to finish the game. Not that he didn't enjoy the part he played.

Oh, well... its both great and it sucks... having enough money to buy whatever/everything you want. One reason I have yet to go pick up that copy of Fable 2. Because I doubt I will finish it before Fallout 3 hits shelves.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 13:54.

39. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 25, 2008, 13:19 Ozmodan

So much for the fools who bought a lifetime membership. I hope they think before doing such a foolish thing next time.  

38. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 25, 2008, 12:24 Wazoo

Actually.... I find it sad when ANY PC game or company closes down. These people did not mean to make a bad game with all its problems. I'm sure they poured their hearts into it.... but it didn't work out.

Sorry... but as PC gamers.... there is no good news here. Just another PC-centric game that failed.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 12:25.

37. Re: Flagship: Drama, Comedy, The Horror! Oct 25, 2008, 08:14 Prez

I can't think of a company that deserved to fail epically as much as Flagship did. That includes EA and Ubisoft.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Flagship: Drama, Comedy, The Horror! Oct 25, 2008, 01:35 Krovven

Some of the same ethical motives some of you guys use(steal,cheat whatever)was the same business model Flagship used with Hellgate. Why talk crap about them when you are stealing just like they did?

Well since I called ya out...I assume that's directed at me.

I never pirated this game and never once suggested anyone else pirate this game, or any other game for that matter.

Piracy has nothing to do with this anyways. Flagship sunk themselves with their crappy game, lack of support and asinine pricing model.

35. Re: LotR Life Time? Oct 25, 2008, 01:01 Kxmode

LOL Paranoid. Your comment gave me a great new gaming acronym. MMOADD! Basically it means a gamer who constantly moves from game to game without ever fully playing any of them. Which is perfect because MMOADD is pronounced "mo-add".
This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 01:02.

34. Re: LotR Life Time? Oct 25, 2008, 00:08 Paranoid Jack

You two must be the rare few. I don't know anyone who has played a game for that long. In fact the only people I've chatted with who did did it because they couldn't afford to build or buy a new system so they played the games their systems could handle. Truth is most of us get our fill and move on to something else. Though I imagine you're both right. If I would have stuck to both WoW (though WoW had no Life-Time subscription) and/or LotR... and bought into one/both at a Life-Time rate playing it/them regularly I wouldn't have enough time or need for other games. Which would be a savings since I buy more games this way. I noticed I bought fewer games than I normally would have the year (not calendar) I mostly played WoW. The fact is I like getting new games, exploring new environments, and learning new mechanics. Not to mention with my AADD it just works out that way...  

33. Re: LotR Life Time? Oct 24, 2008, 23:45 Talisorn

$199 actually. So about a year and a half paid for at the 9.99 price. Which isn't too bad.
I've done well out of LotRO. I've left and come back a couple of times. If I'd taken up the $9.99 offer, I'd be behind as I'd have to pay the full subscription price after that. AS it happens, I just need to update the client and hop in. It's always there. I like that convenience. If Blizzard offered the same deal when WoW opened, I'd be well ahead.

32. Re: LotR Life Time? Oct 24, 2008, 23:06 Kxmode

God knows tons have had UO, EQ, and WoW subscriptions active for way longer than that.

Yes and all those games are still alive and kicking...

31. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 23:05 Kxmode

Well, at least it's not like he went to a decent company.

I don't know about that. Turbine made some flops (Asheron's Call 2, Dungeons & Dragons Online) but they've also crafted some kickass games (Asheron's Call 1, Lord of the Rings Online).

30. Re: LotR Life Time? Oct 24, 2008, 23:01 Brian

If you were in the LotR beta and/or one of the pre-order folks you were given subscription plan for $9.99 a month. The Life-Time deal was limited and cost you $299.00 if I remember correctly. So until I broke my subscription I was locked in at $9.99. I would have had to play/pay for the game for thirty months. Two and a half years before it became a benefit. Very few people play any game continually for that length. I've never played any game continuously for more than a year let alone two and a half.
$199 actually. So about a year and a half paid for at the 9.99 price. Which isn't too bad. God knows tons have had UO, EQ, and WoW subscriptions active for way longer than that.

29. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 21:14 Warskull

Feeling a bit miffed that your 10 bucks a month got you all of 1 bit of extra content, are you?

Think if you were one of the poor bastards who bought a lifetime subscription and effectively paid $150 for one half assed expansion.

28. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 21:08 theyarecomingforyou

And then the The End came!

Or did it?
Co-Founder David Brevik was appointed new creative director for Turbine and it's new West coast studio.
Well, at least it's not like he went to a decent company.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Flagship: Drama, Comedy, The Horror! Oct 24, 2008, 21:08 HellSlayer

I'm here bro.....I never paid per month:) I bought the game and that was it. Ya...I can't win um all, tied blizzard's name with these guys. Trust me that won't happen again.They blamed us and not their game code.... Trust me I voiced my opinion on the forums and in letter to the devs. They won't get another penny from me.... Now for the lesson. Some of the same ethical motives some of you guys use(steal,cheat whatever)was the same business model Flagship used with Hellgate. Why talk crap about them when you are stealing just like they did?

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 21:12.

o0

26. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 21:03 Darks

All I know is they had better releasesa fucking local lan pacth for this game if they are scrwewing us like this.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

25. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 20:49 Creston

People like you are why gaming companies get away with this kind of thing over and over. Instead of banding together, gamers split apart and laugh at the people who got ripped off. Way to be part of the problem.

Don't be a tool. There were PLENTY of warnings given on every single gaming forum on the entire Internet that this was a BAD idea and was bound to end badly for people that started paying for this pile of shit. Those that had such fucking blinders on that they figured that a company that lets you RENT their content was legit deserve what they got.

Feeling a bit miffed that your 10 bucks a month got you all of 1 bit of extra content, are you?

Creston

24. That's how it starts Oct 24, 2008, 20:45 Creston

Developer makes Pay to Play games. Developer goes out of business. You the player are fucking screwed.

I'm sure the nitwits who bought that lifetime plan feel great. In essence they paid even more than the already ridiculous 10 bucks a month.

And you know some publisher is going to give Bill fucking Roper another shot at a game.

Creston

23. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 20:22 KilrathiAce

There is god.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo