Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers

NVIDIA now offers another set of beta ForceWare drivers, which are now up to version 180.43, enabling NVIDIA SLI on Intel X58-based motherboards and offering further improvements in Far Cry 2 performance as described in the accompanying quote from Ubisoft's Louis-Pierre Pharand: "Since we first began working on Far Cry 2 in early 2005, we have used GeForce GPU’s to develop the game and worked closely with NVIDIA’s excellent engineers. While Far Cry 2 represents an outstanding PC gaming experience for a wide range of systems, GeForce users can expect to enjoy the game quite literally 'The Way It Was Meant To Be Played'." There are new beta version 180.43 driver for Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows XP 64-bit, and Windows Vista 64 bit. Thanks Tr0n.

View
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

107. Re: I'm absolutely LOVING Far Cry 2. Oct 26, 2008, 01:30 meezookeewee

Just having tons of fun driving around, assassinating people, blowing shit up and generally just exploring. Found 53 diamond cases so far.

Setting fire to the savannah with a flamethrower and watching that fire just engulf a guardpost is awesome.

The only downside is the ridiculous respawn rate. It would be better if the protagonist is forced to go to sleep after a certain period of time and that everything respawns while he sleeps.

Right now you'll fight your way through a guardpost, takes ten minutes, drive up the road, kill your target, drive back, and have to kill the same guardpost again. That gets a bit boring after awhile. And in the end, the mission structure is fairly generic. Drive here, kill all the guys, kill special guy or blow up special thing, drive somewhere else.

But the firefights are great fun, I think the AI is pretty good in most areas, excellent in others (though weak when it comes to driving, they always just drive straight at your mounted machinegun...) and it's just fun to drive around and gawk at all the sights.

Great game. And the technology is fucking awesome. No hitches, no stuttering. No load screen ever. Smooth, seamless massive world. I wish Deus Ex 3 would come with such a world on this engine.

Creston

I agree. Awesome game. I haven't been able to stop playing it. Even on a machine like mine, it runs pretty damn good on medium settings, and still looks pretty good. I don't have the machine to run it properly, but the game scales pretty damn well. There's a lot of driving involved, but considering how big the game world is, it doesn't really bother me a bit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 26, 2008, 00:08 NateMan

what do you mean no stuttering? their is to stutering in the game it does it on mine.
what do you have mr? top of the line video card

105. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 23:55 JaZeeL

Well, it explicitly names certain sound cards that have issues if read the game's readme.txt  

104. I'm absolutely LOVING Far Cry 2. Oct 25, 2008, 23:41 Creston

Just having tons of fun driving around, assassinating people, blowing shit up and generally just exploring. Found 53 diamond cases so far.

Setting fire to the savannah with a flamethrower and watching that fire just engulf a guardpost is awesome.

The only downside is the ridiculous respawn rate. It would be better if the protagonist is forced to go to sleep after a certain period of time and that everything respawns while he sleeps.

Right now you'll fight your way through a guardpost, takes ten minutes, drive up the road, kill your target, drive back, and have to kill the same guardpost again. That gets a bit boring after awhile. And in the end, the mission structure is fairly generic. Drive here, kill all the guys, kill special guy or blow up special thing, drive somewhere else.

But the firefights are great fun, I think the AI is pretty good in most areas, excellent in others (though weak when it comes to driving, they always just drive straight at your mounted machinegun...) and it's just fun to drive around and gawk at all the sights.

Great game. And the technology is fucking awesome. No hitches, no stuttering. No load screen ever. Smooth, seamless massive world. I wish Deus Ex 3 would come with such a world on this engine.

Creston

103. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 13:48 theyarecomingforyou

Maybe I just need to give Far Cry 2 another try, but facing jeep after jeep after jeep of two guys who are just going to get shot three times in the face with a machine gun wears on me after a while.
I agree that it's over-the-top. Having every encounter leading to a battle or a car chase then a battle is a poor gameplay mechanic, particularly when the rest is so strong. Hopefully that will be addressed in an update.

You're really doing yourself a disservice by not checking out Dead Space. Unfortunately, there isn't a demo, but honestly, I've never had a game pull me into it the way Dead Space has. The story is great, the atmosphere is perfect, and the polish is top notch. I will be disappointed if it does not become game of the year, because it's certainly one of the best and most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.
I don't really see how I'm going to check it out then, which is a shame based upon your recommendation. The videos didn't appeal but I appreciate that playing the game is always a very different experience. I don't know anyone else who's getting it either. Perhaps a demo will be released at a later date. *shrugs*

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

102. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 13:32 meezookeewee

I had to drop it two settings.  

101. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 04:17 Krovven

shut off the hardware acceleration to your sound card.

Try just dropping it one setting rather than turning it off altogether. This is a common fix for a lot of problems with games....at least that I've seen anyways.

100. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 04:03 meezookeewee

I've had zero problems with this game so far. The state of the game looks fine to me. A small percentage of people always have issues with every game.

Well, I decided to try one of the suggestions on Ubi's forums: Disable my soundcard. It worked, I could start a new game and start playing. So, I had a theory I wanted to test, I decided NOT to disable my sound card, but turn off the hardware acceleration. That did the trick. Not only can I play the game now, I have sound. So, if anyone has issues starting a new game, do what I did, shut off the hardware acceleration to your sound card. This solution worked for me, I don't if it'll work for anyone else, but it's worth a shot. I don't know how Ubisoft missed this but they really need to patch it.

99. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 03:57 Kedyn

Dead Space looks utterly generic to me - the movement painfully slow and the environments very linear and repetitive. I have little interest in third person games anyway but even less in the action-horror genre. Meanwhile FarCry 2 I'm having an absolute blast with (just found a gold AK47 and got onto the second map in singleplayer, neither of which I knew existed) - it is so much better than "passable". If I was to break a DRM boycott it would most certainly be for FarCry 2.

So, once again we see that game preference is incredibly subjective. Dead Space is of little-to-no interest to me, whereas I'd been looking forward to FarCry 2 for a while (and thankfully it's lived up to expectations).

You're really doing yourself a disservice by not checking out Dead Space. Unfortunately, there isn't a demo, but honestly, I've never had a game pull me into it the way Dead Space has. The story is great, the atmosphere is perfect, and the polish is top notch. I will be disappointed if it does not become game of the year, because it's certainly one of the best and most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

You do comment on the repetitive environments. I personally never noticed it. Sure, you'll go back to some parts of the ship, but the different parts of the ship were different enough that it never felt repetitive. Dead Space is pretty linear, but it's such a great, polished experience with so many memorable moments, I'm already playing it through a second time.

However, after finishing Dead Space and picking up Far Cry 2, I feel pretty let down, but that may be because of how much of a better made game Dead Space is. After playing Far Cry 2 for about six or seven hours or so, I'm getting pretty damn tired of being chased and shot at by yet another vehicle that I can take ten seconds to stop, hose with a machine gun, then continue on my way. Yawn. Plus, I feel a lot more repetition in the environment in Far Cry 2 than I ever did in Dead Space.

Maybe I just need to give Far Cry 2 another try, but facing jeep after jeep after jeep of two guys who are just going to get shot three times in the face with a machine gun wears on me after a while. Maybe I just need to wait until I'm absolutely, completely done with Dead Space to pick up Far Cry 2 to give it a fair chance.

But hey, it is subjective. However, Dead Space never made me push the E key to dismount a machine gun or take a nap, even though I had changed the "use" button to the G key. But that's just me.

98. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 03:33 Buckle Down

Unfortunately, Ubisoft's Tech Support doesn't work weekends, so I can't do anything until next week. And I can't even get on to ask a question anyway. So, if they have a patch next week that'll sort out these issues, then I'll be set, if not, that's 50 bucks down the drain. I will never, EVER buy another game that's been made by Ubisoft. Not even Prince of Persia. Far Cry 2 was one of my most anticipated games, and Ubisoft fucked it up, by releasing the game in this state.
I've had zero problems with this game so far. The state of the game looks fine to me. A small percentage of people always have issues with every game.

97. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 03:22 meezookeewee

Unfortunately, Ubisoft's Tech Support doesn't work weekends, so I can't do anything until next week. And I can't even get on to ask a question anyway. So, if they have a patch next week that'll sort out these issues, then I'll be set, if not, that's 50 bucks down the drain. I will never, EVER buy another game that's been made by Ubisoft. Not even Prince of Persia. Far Cry 2 was one of my most anticipated games, and Ubisoft fucked it up, by releasing the game in this state.  

96. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 03:00 CreamyBlood

I want to freakin' play it. And by the way, you didn't answer my question.

True. As I have a similar system I'd download the demo and fire it up and let you know what happened, besides chuckles. But apparently there is no demo except for the torrent and I'm too lazy to pirate anything these days. Maybe I'll buy it in a bargain bin next year. Plus I only have 93 days left to find the Water Chip and my time is better spent doing that. Sorry I couldn't help you.

95. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 02:15 meezookeewee

Based on your specs I wouldn't even bother to attempt getting it to run. If you're a good tech and have your system uberly optimized and know what you're doing then it might be a good laugh to see the graphics at some kind of pathetic framerate.

Generally, I find that it's not worth running a game like this at super slow frame rates with utterly compromised graphics as in many of these games you'll find that without the graphics the game is rather dull. Immersion is the point when the gameplay is shallow.

You're better off to wait a few months or years after you've upgraded and play it as it was meant to me played.

You'd be amazed at what I can play with my rig. I've been able to play some games that "require" dual core cpu's, like Assassin's Creed. I can run that game no problem, not at the highest detail levels or resolutions, mind you, but it was very playable at a decent clip, granted it's a completely different engine, but still. And quite frankly, the graphics don't make the game. Never have. Not in my opinion. They certainly don't hurt, that's for sure, but it's the gameplay that makes the game. Not graphics. I wish people would understand that. Besides, I already have Far Cry 2, I want to freakin' play it. And by the way, you didn't answer my question.

94. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 01:57 NateMan

um i did hit the yes button to continue duh!  

93. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 01:55 CreamyBlood

those stupid nvida beta drivers would not instal on my computer because it couldnt find nay driver available.

When installing stupid beta nvida drivers, always click the 'Yea' button after being asked to continue, not the 'Nay' button.

92. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 25, 2008, 01:43 CreamyBlood

P4HT 3.4GHZ
GeFORCE 7600GS 512 MEG AGP video card

Based on your specs I wouldn't even bother to attempt getting it to run. If you're a good tech and have your system uberly optimized and know what you're doing then it might be a good laugh to see the graphics at some kind of pathetic framerate.

Generally, I find that it's not worth running a game like this at super slow frame rates with utterly compromised graphics as in many of these games you'll find that without the graphics the game is rather dull. Immersion is the point when the gameplay is shallow.

You're better off to wait a few months or years after you've upgraded and play it as it was meant to me played.

91. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 01:06 NateMan

those stupid nvida beta drivers would not instal on my computer because it couldnt find nay driver available.  

90. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 01:04 theyarecomingforyou

The graphics look fine and all... it's just not my sort of game.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

89. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Oct 25, 2008, 01:00 Krovven

Dead Space looks utterly generic to me

I watched the videos of this on the PS3 last night (Qore zine) and I think it looks like a lot of fun. Reviews, so far so good. I do want to play it.

But with EA's history of screwing the customer, it's a lot easier for me to hold out on their games. Chances are I'll buy the games if I see them for sub $20.

88. Re: Jesus Christ On A Crutch! Oct 25, 2008, 00:55 Krovven

Are you guys still bitching back and forth in here?

He's actually been talking to himself for awhile now

107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo