Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue

The Far Cry 2 Forums have word that widescreen support in Far Cry 2 is actually a cropped version of the 4:3 video, reminiscent of a similar problem, or design decision, from BioShock (story, story, and story). The Widescreen Gaming Forum is all over this, as is their way, and there are hopes for a fix for the just-released first-person shooter sequel soon, official, unofficial, or both. Thanks Ant and Voodoo Extreme.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

79. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 16:30 Jerykk

Support widescreen and support adjustable FOV.

Agreed. If a CRT user is really competitive, they'll use a higher FOV anyway, regardless of aspect ratio. If a player would rather not suffer the fish-eye effect that results, they can just use the regular FOV. Choice is a good thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen FIXED! Oct 24, 2008, 15:11 Tumbler

Great news!

Hey Ubisoft can you make sure this guy gets some of the money for each copy of the game sold since he FIXED YOUR FUCKING GAME.

At least put his name in the credits!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

77. Far Cry 2 Widescreen FIXED! Oct 24, 2008, 14:57 Krovven

DangerDog -

3rd party Widescreen FOV fix here

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143018#143018

same guy who made the fix for Bioshock.
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 14:57.

76. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 24, 2008, 13:19 Tumbler

Set that equal on both types of monitors.

Stunned

You want both widescreen and 4:3 screens to see the SAME THING?!
(horizontally)

Hmm, I could live with this if they increased what widescreen people could see to maybe 110 deg to 130 deg. (it's currently 70-90 I believe in most games?) I'm not certain how those settings will look but I want games to show us more space, not just show it zoomed in with the same view space. If 4:3 people need to see the same then let them have that increased view even though everything will look weird.

But keeping the same view space (horizontally) is not using widescreen. When you go from a standard signal to HD you get more content, not less. Widescreen should = more content. Otherwise what is the point? Why not just give widescreen people the 4:3 signal with increased viewable space and stretch it?

It makes no sense to try and make 4:3 and widescreen equal. You completely ignore the benefits of having a widescreen when you do that.

75. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 11:59 Krovven

In case you missed "what I did there". I gave the exact same argument but changed the words which deal with personal opinion to reflect my personal preference and not yours.

It's not about personal preference. There is a right and wrong here, whether you and others understand it or not. You may not even have a problem with the way they have done it, but that doesn't make it the right way to implement widescreen.

And if you think by changing words you can be witty and alter the argument...now try and find FPS games that implement widescreen the way it's been done in FC2 and provide some proof to back up your claim, as I have done with several links demonstrating how it's supposed to be done.

74. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 24, 2008, 07:57 necrosis

Another damned V- instead of H+ game. When the hell are these developers going to get their heads out of their collective asses about this?  

73. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 07:17 InBlack

CRTs rule! Flatscreen sucks! Widescreen is for sissies! Ha!  

I have a nifty blue line!

72. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 02:39 rist3903

You make a compelling argument.  

71. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 02:10 LittleMe

rist3903, those things certainly can be controlled by developers. They can artificially add lag, they can cap FPS too. They can also cap the resolution you use to 1024x768 so that its "fair" as you put it. They can also force stereo sound so that people with 5.1 sound don't have an advantage. They can also force the game to use black & white so that people playing on black & white TV's don't have a disadvantage. They can also not support the mouse so that people who can't afford a mouse don't have an advantage.

That's just all silly reasoning in my opinion. Support widescreen and support adjustable FOV. Most gaming is not about being fair. Its about making fun games and letting people have fun. If you want fair gaming, join a professional gaming league or something where they highly regulate the PC's at the events or buy a console and use that.

Funny you talk about migrating to other games because it's not fair to give widescreen's a wider view because I just uninstalled Far Cry 2 because the FOV is so narrow and also because the game just isn't that much fun. This game is over hyped and reviewers aren't criticizing it where it is due.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2008, 02:25.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

70. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 01:40 Prez

I'll simply add that I myself find it inexcusable to not have widescreen support for any PC game released in 2008. It shouldn't even be a discussion. Include 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Why are we still debating this 9 years into the new millennium?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 22:38 Jensen

Pixar's "Finding Nemo" was made at 16:9. Unlike most other movies, the 4:3 version actually had more on the top and bottom, because Pixar didn't want to pan and scan the movie. Because the movie is CGI, this wasn't too hard.

There is nothing lazy or wrong here. The FOV is simply locked in the horizontal axis instead of the vertical axis.

It is only an issue with extremely wide screen views, such as the triple head setup.

If you feel the FOV is to small, complain about that... there's no reason to bring up 4:3

68. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 21:44 rist3903

And, btw, multiplayer isn't fair anyway. Some people have better pings, faster computers, better sound, etc etc..

All of those things you mentioned cannot be controlled by developers, but field of view and aspect ratio can.

If you are a developer and design into your game a way for some of the players to have a distinct advantage over others in a player versus player setting, the people who do not benefit from this will be more likely to migrate to other games. It is not good business.

It is similar to having a lax stand on cheating.

67. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 21:05 LittleMe

rist3903, that's why letting the user adjust the FOV to his taste/needs is good, no matter what his display. And, btw, multiplayer isn't fair anyway. Some people have better pings, faster computers, better sound, etc etc.. Multiplayer is more about having fun than playing with identical setups, imo. Taking your argument, then all games should have an FPS cap of 30, so that slower computers aren't at a disadvantage in multiplayer. Haha.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

66. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 23, 2008, 20:45 dryden555

LAME of the developers. Dont include the 16:9 option at all if it is just a cropped 4:3.  

65. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 20:44 rist3903

If you give widescreen users a larger fov it gives them a tangible benefit in multiplayer, particularly in games where flanking an enemy is important.  

64. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 20:28 SacredGinmill

If that's true, then what are you complaining about? I thought your problem was that the view in widescreen had been cropped? Also, read that sentence again. The whole thing, and think about it. There's a difference between horizontal and vertical FOV.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14737

Scroll down a little. See the example of 4:3 with the red bars indicating where the crop is to make it 16:9 ? horizontal view is fixed, the vertical view is cropped to make it 16:9.

Now go here. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/screenshots/

First image you should see is Bioshock which is perfect since it had this problem, then was fixed.

See how only horizontal view is widened to make it 16:9 instead of cropping the vertical view thus taking image away?

If you still don't get it, then I nor anyone else can't explain it to you.

I still dont get it. The horizontal FoV is the important one that deals with game difficulty, suspense and what the devs expect player to see, etc. Set that equal on both types of monitors. Instead of users with 4:3 monitors seeing black bars on the top and bottom, let us increase vertical FoV since that hardly matters anyway.

In case you missed "what I did there". I gave the exact same argument but changed the words which deal with personal opinion to reflect my personal preference and not yours.
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 20:30.

63. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 23, 2008, 20:17 Dades

Choosing a default that isn't 4:3 doesn't make any sense because sadly the majority of the market is still 4:3. If you set default aspect ratios based on resolution then they could just as easily be wrong for the reasons I laid out in my previous post.

I think widescreen support has been something pc devs have been reluctant to put development time into because it's not something many people had in the past.

Most devs do their development on widescreen monitors for productivity reasons so this doesn't really make any sense. It's purely a business decision based on the market demographic. The PC gaming industry always has transitions like this. It'll just take time. Thankfully most laptops being sold now are widescreen and widescreen monitors are very prevalent in stores.

62. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 23, 2008, 20:00 Tumbler

PC games can't automatically adjust realistically due to driver problems with monitors. You can detect resolution but it's really hard to detect the proper aspect ratio, especially considering there are 16:9 and 16:10 monitor models on the market and that's ignoring LCD TV's used as monitors and their issues with overscan on certain inputs.

I think the software can guess at least. If the FoV for the 4:3 game mode is 80 degrees, you can assume at least a 30% increase for widescreen? Ideally the PC should allow the user to choose which FoV works best for them but choosing a default would be a step in the right direction...no?

I think widescreen support has been something pc devs have been reluctant to put development time into because it's not something many people had in the past. I only got a widescreen monitor for my home PC this past month so widescreen support has definitely been more important on consoles up to now.

61. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 23, 2008, 19:51 Dades

PC games can't automatically adjust realistically due to driver problems with monitors. You can detect resolution but it's really hard to detect the proper aspect ratio, especially considering there are 16:9 and 16:10 monitor models on the market and that's ignoring LCD TV's used as monitors and their issues with overscan on certain inputs.  

60. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Oct 23, 2008, 19:37 Tumbler

Oh. My. God. I don't know how the fuck you turned a design decision into an excuse to bash consoles, but congratulations. Anything else? Fuck, the box art has shades of yellow and orange... oh no, they're even dumbing down the bloody artwork for consoles!11!1ONE!11 Quick, phone the King... time for a revolution!

I'm not bashing consoles, and using a 4:3 FoV is hardly a design decision for this game. It's a limitation of the end user. They don't do this because it's the "experience" they want, they do it so that the game is consistent across 4:3 and widescreen TV's.

You should be using a larger FoV with widescreen support. Not the same Fov with more detail on the top and bottom.

I would be happier being able to choose a true HD tV show that expands what you can see on screen instead of just blowing up a standard signal and loosing some of the top and bottom. That's just my opinion.

I'm not bashing consoles, I think it's exected. But a PC game should automatically adjust to use the hardware.

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo