Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Further tweaks to the forum code here were implemented yesterday by the ever-active Frans. Wacky multiple "edited" tags have been fixed going backward, and going forward they should no longer clone themselves. Also, the way signatures are handled is more logical now, as they are appended to the posts, rather than part of them, which makes editing posts (and your signature, for that matter) more sensibly handled. There's also a line separating signatures from posts, so if you've got your own separator line in your signature, you might want to remove it.

Signature Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Run. Thanks Neatorama.
World's Fastest Drummer.
Stories: Some Regret Locking In Price for Oil.
Rise Seen in Food Allergies in Children.
Ancient jewels found in uni desk.
Science: Scotch Tape Found To Emit X-Rays.
Emissions from burping cows 'higher than family car'.
India launches first moon mission.
Images: Dress Your Baby Like The Gamer You Hope They’ll Become.
The Scariest Jack O' Lantern.
Media: New Watchmen Trailer Offers Up New Footage, Same Blurry Blue Genitals.
Halloween window.
Pepper Fail.
Follow-up: ‘Chinese Democracy’ Is Really Here!

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: System problems Oct 26, 2008, 12:24 DG

[Dakok]All Windows Updates installed (including SP1) prior to trying to install KB929777 and the 2nd stick of ram (already said I tried the KB929777 patch and failed, so don't know why you'd suggest it again).
Looks like I entered my edit while you were writing. Anyway the point was the fix required SP1 so if you didn't have that (as turned out not to be the case) that might have explained it's refusal to install

anyway gl with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 21:08 Kxmode

There's also a line separating signatures from posts, so if you've got your own separator line in your signature, you might want to remove it.

In a few weeks we can snicker at those that still use one of these. Deal

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 18:03  Xymph 

His work on adding a built in signature line is just amazing.
Thanks, remarkable praise from a poster without signature. Rolleyes2
In fact, Im even gonna use a smiley for the first time!
Congratulations. Thumbsup

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 17:52  Xymph 

Well Frans, i can't reproduce it. there seems to be an advertisement in the place of the line i mentioned earlier. maybe it was just missing the advertisement in my previous post.
Oh yes, ads are missing regularly and a missing square ad on the post message form could have an effect like you originally described.

So if you see that again, ignore it, but if anyone sees a glitch unrelated to ads, capture it and let me know.

-- Frans

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 17:31 strich

Well Frans, i can't reproduce it. there seems to be an advertisement in the place of the line i mentioned earlier. maybe it was just missing the advertisement in my previous post. I'm also using Flock, but i'm pretty sure it's a mozilla product, so it shouldn't be any different than firefox.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 16:16 unaloony

total fan here. thanks to franz's brilliant work i can post messages signicantly faster, cleaner, brighter, and fresher smelling. His work on adding a built in signature line is just amazing. Don't get me wrong. In fact, Im even gonna use a smiley for the first time!  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 14:43 Pete

Just want to add a big YAY to the little game addons to the bluesnews logo.  
Doin' it Big

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 14:24  Xymph 

Frans, could you please add the same padding below the sig line? Still kinda looks weird with it so close to the text.
I added 4 pixels below the line, and increased the padding above it to 8 pixels. Better indeed.

-- Frans

12. Re: System problems Oct 23, 2008, 14:06 Krovven

do you have SP1?

All Windows Updates installed (including SP1) prior to trying to install KB929777 and the 2nd stick of ram (already said I tried the KB929777 patch and failed, so don't know why you'd suggest it again).

11. Re: System problems Oct 23, 2008, 14:00 DG

do you have SP1?

with the one stick, install Vista, install SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/), run autoupdate, then add the second.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 14:04.

10. System problems Oct 23, 2008, 13:02 Krovven

Ok, so I'm still having issues with my system and getting more than 2gigs of ram running.

I even switched out the ram at the shop yesterday, only to have the same problem. This time I just used a single stick of the new ram, did the Vista 64 install, downloaded all updated including SP1, works fine. Add in the 2nd stick of ram and the system just hangs on the "Microsoft Corporation" loading screen and never enters the OS.

I tried downloading the KB929777 patch that is supposed to fix this issue, but it just says 'update does not apply to your system'.

Odd thing is, with both sticks in the system, my XP install loads without issue and recognizes 3gb of ram and the OS ran fine. But of course Vista 64, which is supposed to work with more than 2gb of ram does not.

Taking my computer into the shop after work today...but anyone had this problem and worked around it somehow? My MB is an Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe, sorry I don't recall which Bios version it's running.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 14:08.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 12:52 Krovven

Frans, could you please add the same padding below the sig line? Still kinda looks weird with it so close to the text.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 10:42 Jeraxle

Test!  
Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 09:19 subx

Hmm, style choice still seems to be the last thing applied. It is literally the very last thing to happen, i.e. after all the ads have loaded in - so sometimes it is never applied for me if an ad has a problem loading.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 09:07  Xymph 

Seems that style choice isn't being applied until after the page has rendered now, so I'm dazzled by new blue for a couple of seconds before I'm returned to the peace and tranquility of retro colours
Sounds like the style sheet isn't loaded properly, or timely enough. I actually have an effect in FF2 where it occasionally isn't loaded at all. The only change I can think of affecting that is that all meta headers were moved into a separate include file, and perhaps that has the above effects on loading the style sheet specified within that include.

I duplicated the style sheet links in the main page now, so let's see if that helps.

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 09:00  Xymph 

has the light blue line attached to the top of each post always been there?
Yes, but it was rather dark and thus not very noticable, so I made it a lighter blue, the same as the .sig separator.
there's a white line sitting all by itself off to the right of the page in the middle of the black (my retro setting).
I don't see any white lines in retro - can you show a screenshot of that?

-- Frans

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 07:56 Enahs

Test!  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 07:40 strich

has the light blue line attached to the top of each post always been there? i just noticed it. and while i type this, there's a white line sitting all by itself off to the right of the page in the middle of the black (my retro setting).

certainly not nitpciking Frans. you're doing a wonderful job here for Blue. and us... Drummer

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 05:04 subx

Posted this a few days ago, but didn't get a reply, so at the risk of sounding like a broken record...

Seems that style choice isn't being applied until after the page has rendered now, so I'm dazzled by new blue for a couple of seconds before I'm returned to the peace and tranquility of retro colours

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 04:44  Xymph 

To clarify:
Wacky multiple "edited" tags have been fixed going backward
That was done yesterday indeed, but:
and going forward they should no longer clone themselves.
this already happened a few weeks ago. Coughing

The text color of the signature is also slightly off-white, which together with the divider line serves to clearly separate post from .sig, as in the past they often seemed to run on into eachother.

Finally, .sigs were stripped from old posts to prevent them from showing twice on existing posts, but only when the .sig was identical to the one inside the post. So people who update their .sig regularly will see those two different .sigs throughout the less recent portion of their post history.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 04:54.

-- Frans

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo