Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned

Kalypso Media Announces their involvement in publishing upcoming add-ons for Sins of a Solar Empire in Europe, revealing there are three unannounced expansions to follow the first one due later this year (Entrenchment, which is not mentioned by name in the announcement). There are no specifics on these additional add-ons for the 4X strategy game, which are mentioned in passing here: "Kalypso Media have today announced they will be publishing 4 Add On packs for the hit space strategy PC game Sins of a Solar Empire. The first of these Add On packs will be published in Q4 2008 for £7.99 and available via download from Impulse."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 20:28 Prez

More 'Sins' is a wonderful thing. Micro or macro.

Four addon packs for £8/$13 each... so basically $60 worth of expansions? And people here aren't bashing the shit out of the company? What hypocrisy!

I assume you are referring to the negative reception of Blizzard's recent announce of the latest Starcraft game being 3 parts. From the small amount of info currently available, there seems to be substantial differences in the 2 cases.
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 20:31.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 19:20  Blair Fraser 

There are not 4 expansions planned. This is an error in Kalypso's press release. The goal was to do three and then re-evaluate whether the model is viable or not. I've been pretty open about the possibility that the micro-expansion experiment may fail but we're willing to try new ideas in the hopes we can improve our small corner of the industry for both the developer and players. It's similiar to the thought process we went through on the no-DRM policy (which was pretty risky and could have had disastrous results if it failed). Anyways, there are only 3/three/t-h-r-e-e micro expansions planned Thanks!
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 19:21.

21. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 19:16 Tumbler

Why EA?

You're joking...right? Why EA? Because...they are the most aggressive milker of franchises? They buy successful brands/companies and use those companies to produce substandard products and sell them for prices that should be reserved for high quality games?

They bring down the general standard for what should be worth $50 so they can produce poor quality content and sell it for a high price.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

20. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 19:03 sponge

The difference is that EA gives a stripped-down version of the game at release. The expansions add things that should have either been released with the game or released for free. While I've never played this game, I haven't heard any similar accusations leveled at this game.

Why EA? There was some other thread here where the word milking was lobbed out even though they haven't released a game in a couple years. I've also heard people refer to patches to games they don't like as milking publicity, too.

And what is the distinction between things that should have been at release, or free? New levels "should" be free? New units?

19. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 17:28 dubfanatic

Beat me to it. If person likes said company/game, well then they're supporting their game with new content. If they don't, they call it milking and micropayments.

The difference is that EA gives a stripped-down version of the game at release. The expansions add things that should have either been released with the game or released for free. While I've never played this game, I haven't heard any similar accusations leveled at this game.

18. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 17:18 Bluesfanboi

Sins is a good effort and it has its quirks...not the least of which is the pacing...I find I have to increase the rates of income to get to a pace where I'm not sitting around being reactionary instead of pro-active.

The tech tree is boring and visually hard to follow and waiting for ships to maneuver for warp like oil-tankers doing a 4-mile u-turn is stupid when they should just pivot in place or use 360 degree weapons.

Other than that, the battles are fun and it is visually soothing in a deep-space sort of way but it needs better music and sound effects and VOs and a campaign.

As for episodic content..do all the episodes you want, I'll buy them....once they are ALL finished and all patched and I can get them all at once.

BF2 was the first and last game that tricked me with expansion packs, no one gets paid every time I take a bite of the apple. I pay for the whole apple at once.

17. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 16:02 Overflow

@ Wolfox

That kind of scares me a little too. I think that this expansion pack might be little more than space stations with weapons.

I'm going to get that 7deadlysins mod once ver 1.1 is released. There's where you get the replayability with Sins. It's in the Mods.

16. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 15:25 Wolfox

I was really excited about the mini-expansions, until I read a quote in the Stardock 2008 report which reads:

"If a game ships and there’s some bug found that materially affects gameplay, then sure, put out a patch wherever. However, we’ve had users complain loudly that Sins of a Solar Empire v1.1 (essentially a free expansion pack) requires Impulse to download."

You can read the changelog for 1.1 here:
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/316556

Since when are balance changes and minor optimizations considered "essentially a free expansion pack"? Not very reassuring.

15. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

Four addon packs for £8/$13 each... so basically $60 worth of expansions? And people here aren't bashing the shit out of the company? What hypocrisy!  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 14:03 McSterls

Sins is a great game. I'll play it for a while, then get bored after a week and then still come back to it a few month later. How many games can you say that about? I'm looking forward to the expansions, Entrenchment comes out the middle of November and I think it will fix some flaws in the original, plus push the difficulty level up. The next expansion pack has something to do with revamping world economics and bonuses - so I'm not sure if additional units are to be included in that or not.  

13. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 13:27 RP

@Tumbler:

I agree: it all comes down to the perceived value of the product. I think EA has been milking the ever-loving shit out of The Sims for years now, but plenty of people think the expansions and stuff packs are worth the asking price.

12. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 12:59 Tumbler

I'm playing devil's advocate, I like expansion packs and I've defended them several times in the past. Also, I know SoaSE was released in good condition and it's hardly going to be spot on.

I could care less if a company is making lots of expansions or full games. It's about value of each product.

Was SoaSE worth $39.99? I certainly think so.
Was the horse armor worth $2.50? I don't think so.
Is CoD: WaW worth $49.99+? FUCK NO.

Making expansions / sequels / movies games is not always "milking it". Making games that would never sell on their own without the benefit of a strong game or brand behind them is "milking it."

I wouldn't say valve is milking HL2 because...okay episode 1 sure was, but the last installment was a much more substantial offering with portal and TF2.

As long as devs put the time and energy into making a good game I don't care what they make, as long as it's worth the dollars they expect people to pay.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 13:00.

11. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 12:39 Quboid

Fact is this game needs some expanding

So the "finished article" was the milking, if they didn't even bother to get it balanced, right??

I'm playing devil's advocate, I like expansion packs and I've defended them several times in the past. Also, I know SoaSE was released in good condition and it's hardly going to be spot on. The content and price both appear much better than The Sims (we're all thinking of it), but then, where's the line? What you see as phoned in, a Sims fanatic will see as worthwhile (and someone's buying them). I suppose it's up to each of us to decide and vote with our wallets.

There's a Sims pack of Ikea products at my local game shop. They charge £5 for what is nothing but product placement. That's definitely over the line in my books!

- Quboid

10. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Oct 22, 2008, 12:27 Enahs

While I agree, 4 seems like milking the franchise.
But the difference is, look at the prices. Where as EA releases expansions for 50-70% of the full games price.
And it also depends on how much content is in these expansions. If there is a lot of new content, but still using the same engine and general gameplay, maybe they did not feel justified calling it NSF 46 vs NFS 47 for example.

But, 4 expansions does seem like milking, but lets put it in perspective first and see what they are and how much they cost before we go insulting a company with a good track record so far.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 12:26 Tumbler

Beat me to it. If person likes said company/game, well then they're supporting their game with new content. If they don't, they call it milking and micropayments.

I think "milking" a game requires the devs to make stupid fluff content and charging too much for it.

When you're talking about a $10 price tag and the content they are planning for the game...where is the fluff?

This is good stuff for a low price.

The reason no one is complaining is because they haven't leaned back and started phoning in the work on this game. Call me crazy, but I'll bitch when there is something to bitch about.

Fact is this game needs some expanding, the online game is amazing but it focus's on offense to win battles, trying to beat someone with a strong defense and economy is almost impossible.

One thing I would love to see is a game mode that is a "fast start". I played a 1 on 1 game with a small map recently and I'd say we were evenly matched and the game ended up taking 2 hours because we both just kept building fleets and never had enough advantage where attacking would be a huge risk. So it just went on and on.

Maybe just doubling the income coming in, the game feels slow. More Metal, more crystal, more money would speed games up. I'm all for long strategic games but I often skip sitting down to play this game when I only have 30min to an hour to play.

8. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 12:08 Overflow

Remember the Alamo....

Edited for spelling
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 12:09.

7. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 11:51 Quboid

History is littered with examples of relatively few defenders staying put against massively outnumbering forces. The Spartans are an example of those who tried and ultimately failed. I'm living in a city that has many, many reminders of those who tried and succeeded - Londonderry has a long history, a lot more happened here than The Troubles and the Northern Irish terrorism that started 40 years ago last month (my Dad was there when it started, I think it was his fault ).

DISCLAIMER: I don't play SoaSE so I'm just talking in a general sense. In fact I'm talking about human history which is probably utterly irrelevant. The OP did say "always" which technically means they run if it's 999 v 1000, which would be a valid complaint. OTOH, I doubt the game does this and I don't think the OP meant it that literally anyway.

... also, I don't know much about the Spartans, but at least I haven't seen 300 so don't think I'm basing anything on that.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 11:54.

- Quboid

6. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 11:34 sponge

Yet to most, it would be called milking the franchise if was an EA product.

5. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Planned Oct 22, 2008, 11:28 JaguarUSF

fix the damn AI from always running from a big fight when they are out numbered

I know that I would just leave units there to be slaughtered. Damn unrealistic AI!

4. Re: Four Sins of a Solar Empire Add-ons Oct 22, 2008, 11:09 Bhruic

This is all good, but I really would like for them to fix the damn AI from always running from a big fight when they are out numbered. I hate how they will calculate the numbers and take off running out of a system when they know they will lose that battle.

What, they should just sit there and let you beat them? Running away is the proper choice, most of the time. Re-conquering a planet generally involves less resources than rebuilding an entire fleet. I certainly make a point of retreating when I'm out-numbered - unless I think I can achieve some other goal while I'm getting beat.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo