Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spore Downtime Today

The Spore Website warns there will be scheduled downtime later today for the Spore.com servers. Word is: "The Spore.com servers will be down for maintenance on Wednesday , October 22nd, at 10AM Pacific Time (5PM GMT). They will be down for approximately three hours. Players will be unable to log into their games and the website will be inaccessible during this time."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 23, 2008, 03:47 Shadowcat

anyone who's played the game knows that "logging in" is 100% optional. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever keeping you from continuing your saved single player game when you're disconnected to the internet. [...] THE ONLY LIMITATION IS LOGGING ON TO SPOREPEDIA.
Cool. I guess it's option (b) then -- a case of them choosing their words really badly. How about "Players will be unable to log into Sporepedia", rather than "Players will be unable to log into their game"??

I'm sure they were only aiming the announcement at players who knew what it meant, but for a game that has taken so much flak for its DRM, it's still slightly surprising they didn't think about how it was going to sound to other people...

Thanks for the clarification, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 20:10 Bone43

EA sucks monkey balls period. spores a turd of a over hyped game, so I could give a shit less if the servers are down forever.

20. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 17:55 Caveman

That doesn't mean people are still playing it, that just means people are still buying it. A lot of those people might take it home, play it for 3 hours and get bored and never play it again. Thinking really helps you know.

Yea, because the thousands and thousands of new creatures, cars, and buildings uploaded daily are from people not playing the game after 3 hours. Like I always say, think before you speak.

This site is so pathetic sometimes.

19. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 17:27 Fausticle

I don't like DRM. But the hardcore anti-DRM fanatics on this site don't help their credibility by not understanding an issue before ranting about it.

Oh, and Spore blows.

18. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 12:41 elefunk

You know, when their own website says: "Players will be unable to log into their games", it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that's what it means. If that's not what it means, they really should choose their words better.
And anyone who's played the game knows that "logging in" is 100% optional. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever keeping you from continuing your saved single player game when you're disconnected to the internet.

But what did I expect? Just another day on Blues, just another thread where people spend more time whining like little bitches about a perceived "problem" formed in the wake of ignorance of how the game actually works, than they've spent actually playing the game.

THE ONLY LIMITATION IS LOGGING ON TO SPOREPEDIA. The notion that you'll be locked out of your locally-saved single player game is fucking retarded. And every single player game is locally-saved. There is no server-side storage for saved games. There is nothing stopping you from playing your saved game. DRM is a non-issue for this situation.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 12:44.

17. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 11:50 Woebringer

Maybe EA ran out of activations for spore.com

DRM + Single Player = Players Lose

16. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 11:20 dubfanatic

Obviously, if it's still number 1 each week on the NPD charts. Thinking really helps you know.

That doesn't mean people are still playing it, that just means people are still buying it. A lot of those people might take it home, play it for 3 hours and get bored and never play it again. Thinking really helps you know.

15. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 10:45 |RaptoR|

Are they really that hard up for space because of all the penis creatures in the game?
You would think they would have this problem well in hand when the situation arose in the first place.

/penis

Hah, I've spotted a Fark reader!

14. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 09:14 Raven

*Whistles Enzyte tune*

13. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 09:13 Shadowcat

You know, when their own website says: "Players will be unable to log into their games", it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that's what it means. If that's not what it means, they really should choose their words better.
Quite, and so I presume that this IS exactly what it means, and that the mis-informed person is the one claiming otherwise (unless they would care to provide an official reference supporting their claim?)

In any case, down-time (whether real or merely implied) for a single-player game, or any kind of online requirement for a single-player game running on the user's own machine, is nothing short of retarded.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 09:17.

12. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 06:03 Nighthawk

Are they really that hard up for space because of all the penis creatures in the game?
You would think they would have this problem well in hand when the situation arose in the first place.

/penis

11. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 05:26 Zzet

Come on guys, it's not like they can remove the 66,000 penis monsters that appear in the Sporepedia every month without downtime. It's a lengthy process, and performance will sag without this.

10. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 05:19 Bhruic

9. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 03:04 elefunk

Better to be a "shill" than be a fucking retard who spews inaccurate bullshit saying you can't play a single player game because the Sporepedia servers will be down.

Shill? More like "informed person".

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 03:11.

8. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 01:29 xXBatmanXx

ROFL at the Spore shill!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 01:18 Caveman

ROFL@ all the uninformed tools on this site. All it means is Sporepedia is down, you can still play but just can't log in to Sporepedia that's all. You can still play the game, you can still access your saves and everything else but Sporedepia. You don't HAVE to log in to play at all, jeez. God damn get a fucking clue people you bunch of dumbasses.

I know hating SPORE is the new black, and I know half of you don't know anything about DRM, but make sure to actually read up before hating it.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 01:22.

6. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 01:04 ViRGE

downtime for a single player game? You gotta be shittin' me!
My thoughts exactly. I didn't even know this game was completely reliant on a server to work.

5. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 01:02 xXBatmanXx

downtime for a single player game? You gotta be shittin' me!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 00:55 m00t

One more reason why DRM "solutions" like this FAIL.

3 hours of downtime for a single player game because the website is down? Lame.

3. Re: Spore Downtime Today Oct 22, 2008, 00:48 Nefilim

Thinking is over-rated.

And it makes my head hurt.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo