Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2008, 21:08 Aero

Far Cry 2:

I like it, it's very good. I can't say that I have no complaints, the mouse control seems a little bit sluggish for some reason, but not so bad as to interfere with playing, it just could be a little snappier.

The world isn't quite as 'open' as I would have hoped, in certain areas you are in a valley and essentially walled in, but on the whole it is a very impressive open environment--you just couldn't trek all the way across the map as the crow flies.

The gunfights are very gratifying, there is a sense of mass & inertia that is somehow very satisfying. The gore is cool too. Thick globules of blood flying around when you shoot people, and of course, the much discussed field surgery. I do wish that you could select a semi-auto firing mode for the rifles though, I usually prefer that approach, but you can always just click the fire button once I suppose.

They did a great job with the immersion, it never departs from the first person and your character has no dialog (like Half-Life--which I've always felt makes a big difference), and everything has an animation--doors don't magically open by themselves, you don't teleport into the drivers seat of a car or to the gunner's position, or somehow inhale the objects you pick up through telekinesis. It has a very slick presentation.

On the technical side, the graphics are very good and run very smoothly even in DX10 mode (the new 180.42 drivers made it run 25% faster for me, and on the low end of the fps, where it counts the most). It definitely isn't Crysis though, it's not as fancy as that. It's really the artistic work that makes it look good.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. In some ways it is better than I had hoped, and in some ways it isn't quite what I'd built it up to be in my imagination. If I had to rate it like the reviewers do, I would probably put it in the high 80's, maybe a 90.

It is an excellent game, the only real question is whether it lives up to the hype, and really, nothing ever does. Comes pretty close though.

In the interst of full disclosure: I've only put about six hours in so far, maybe it gets worse, but I doubt it. I can maybe imagine it getting repetitive to a certain degree.

The DRM did give me a little trouble. For an hour after I bought it, there were problems with the server or whatever, and it refused to acknowledge my cd-key (other people as well), but that cleared up soon enough. You can always just crack it if it comes to that I suppose. I don't get too uptight about DRM usually. If I don't have to have the disk in the drive, and I can revoke my activations, I don't really have a problem with online activation. I play a lot of racing sims, and because they're smaller outfits who can only sell online, I've been doing the activation thing for years... it is a bit different when you can't send an e-mail to the actual developers though should you run out instead of some tech-support nobody, so we'll see.

addendum:

I do have one complaint, though this isn't really limited to FC2. Why is it that in every FPS that has cars, the controls always suck? FC2 is no different. I guess that a keyboard just isn't meant for driving. I almost have a mind to set up my wheel offset, next to my keyboard to be used with the left hand for the driving parts. I doubt it would let me do that, but it should.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 21:35.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 22, 00:51 dead space.. LittleMe
  2. Oct 22, 01:06  Re: dead space.. Jerykk
  4. Oct 22, 02:45   Re: dead space.. LittleMe
  5. Oct 22, 09:24    Re: dead space.. InBlack
  6. Oct 22, 09:25     Re: dead space..  Blue 
  7. Oct 22, 10:12      Far Cry 2 review rist3903
  8. Oct 22, 10:16       Re: GTA IV InBlack
  9. Oct 22, 10:24        Re: GTA IV CJ_Parker
  10. Oct 22, 10:31         Re: GTA IV InBlack
  11. Oct 22, 11:25          Re: GTA IV CJ_Parker