Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 23, 2008, 07:22 InBlack

How does it compare to Crysis? I mean gameplay/gunplay wise. Is it much better?  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2008, 21:08 Aero

Far Cry 2:

I like it, it's very good. I can't say that I have no complaints, the mouse control seems a little bit sluggish for some reason, but not so bad as to interfere with playing, it just could be a little snappier.

The world isn't quite as 'open' as I would have hoped, in certain areas you are in a valley and essentially walled in, but on the whole it is a very impressive open environment--you just couldn't trek all the way across the map as the crow flies.

The gunfights are very gratifying, there is a sense of mass & inertia that is somehow very satisfying. The gore is cool too. Thick globules of blood flying around when you shoot people, and of course, the much discussed field surgery. I do wish that you could select a semi-auto firing mode for the rifles though, I usually prefer that approach, but you can always just click the fire button once I suppose.

They did a great job with the immersion, it never departs from the first person and your character has no dialog (like Half-Life--which I've always felt makes a big difference), and everything has an animation--doors don't magically open by themselves, you don't teleport into the drivers seat of a car or to the gunner's position, or somehow inhale the objects you pick up through telekinesis. It has a very slick presentation.

On the technical side, the graphics are very good and run very smoothly even in DX10 mode (the new 180.42 drivers made it run 25% faster for me, and on the low end of the fps, where it counts the most). It definitely isn't Crysis though, it's not as fancy as that. It's really the artistic work that makes it look good.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. In some ways it is better than I had hoped, and in some ways it isn't quite what I'd built it up to be in my imagination. If I had to rate it like the reviewers do, I would probably put it in the high 80's, maybe a 90.

It is an excellent game, the only real question is whether it lives up to the hype, and really, nothing ever does. Comes pretty close though.

In the interst of full disclosure: I've only put about six hours in so far, maybe it gets worse, but I doubt it. I can maybe imagine it getting repetitive to a certain degree.

The DRM did give me a little trouble. For an hour after I bought it, there were problems with the server or whatever, and it refused to acknowledge my cd-key (other people as well), but that cleared up soon enough. You can always just crack it if it comes to that I suppose. I don't get too uptight about DRM usually. If I don't have to have the disk in the drive, and I can revoke my activations, I don't really have a problem with online activation. I play a lot of racing sims, and because they're smaller outfits who can only sell online, I've been doing the activation thing for years... it is a bit different when you can't send an e-mail to the actual developers though should you run out instead of some tech-support nobody, so we'll see.

addendum:

I do have one complaint, though this isn't really limited to FC2. Why is it that in every FPS that has cars, the controls always suck? FC2 is no different. I guess that a keyboard just isn't meant for driving. I almost have a mind to set up my wheel offset, next to my keyboard to be used with the left hand for the driving parts. I doubt it would let me do that, but it should.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 21:35.

16. Re: Far Cry 2 review Oct 22, 2008, 18:45 rist3903

Yahtzee definitely does not pull any punches when it comes to games. I really appreciate that quality in a reviewer.

I must admit he seems more a critic though. Either way, he comes up with some fantastically snarky stuff.

I can imagine quite a few developers wincing when hearing that their games are on the chopping block of Zero Punctuation.

15. Re: Far Cry 2 review Oct 22, 2008, 16:44 Bone43

Waiting for some one here to post a opinoin that has the game.

14. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 14:40 PHJF

I may seriously wait for Zero Punctuation before considering Far Cry.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 13:44  Blue 

Besides I have a (bad) reputation to cultivate and you're a welcome victim

Gotcha.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Gamespy gave it a 70%, Gamespot 86%.... Oct 22, 2008, 13:44 JohnBirshire

Far Cry 2 is "above average" according to quite a few recent reviews from major publications.  

11. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 11:25 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 22, 2008, 13:44.

10. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 10:31 InBlack

Yeah my bad, please shoot me and put me out of my misery Parker! Im a waste of oxygen!

Seriously what the fuck is your problem?

9. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 10:24 CJ_Parker

Did you even follow the link, dumbass? It's first impressions of the -gasp- P C v e r s i o n! Imagine that! Granted, it's more of a preview than a review so you could have kindly pointed out to Blue that this belongs in the preview section but you can shove your wiseass "oh I didn't know that console stuff gets posted here as well" crap where the sun don't shine because it just ain't console stuff. Now go and learn how to use the Internet before making more retarded remarks.  

8. Re: GTA IV Oct 22, 2008, 10:16 InBlack

Sorry Blue, I thought you only posted PC reviews here under the Review section.

BTW, thanks for the heads up Jerykk, I was really looking forward to Dead Space hopefully the mouse lag soultion makes sense.
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 10:23.

Ok I have now read the GTA IV review and it turns out its a "first-look" i.e. a preview.

7. Far Cry 2 review Oct 22, 2008, 10:12 rist3903

The worst thing this reviewer had to say about Far Cry 2 was that some of the supporting characters were slightly too bland.

Everything else is perfect according to him.

I do not trust reviews where nothing negative is said about the game.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 10:13.

6. Re: dead space.. Oct 22, 2008, 09:25  Blue 

Questions? That don't make it clear what people are asking?  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: dead space.. Oct 22, 2008, 09:24 InBlack

GTA IV review? For the PC?

4. Re: dead space.. Oct 22, 2008, 02:45 LittleMe

Thanks Jerykk. Well I guess its not surprising its an easy fix as that. LOL. Too many game reviewers are n00bs. I guess the pay sucks.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2008, 01:09 xXBatmanXx

Far Cry 2 review?

nm came out yesterday....too many games, not enough sleep, too much work....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: dead space.. Oct 22, 2008, 01:06 Jerykk

There's a post over on ve3d saying that you can get rid of the horrible mouse lag by turning off v-sync. If mouse lag is the only issue, that's an easy fix.

1. dead space.. Oct 22, 2008, 00:51 LittleMe

damn shame the m&k controls are like that. Won't buy until it's fixed.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo