Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Announced

LucasArts and BioWare announce Star Wars: The Old Republic, the long rumored Star Wars MMORPG following in the vein of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic. The first screenshots are online and the Star Wars: The Old Republic Website is live. An official release date and further details will be announced at a future date, in the meantime, here's part of the announcement:

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players’ actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.

“Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our company’s interactive storytelling heritage,” said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. “For a long time, we’ve wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare.”

“Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., “In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a triple-A massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe.”

Added Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Co-Founder and Vice President Development Operations, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts Inc., “Star Wars: The Old Republic is set roughly 300 years after the events of Knights of the Old Republic, a timeframe that is completely unexplored in the lore. BioWare has been able to add to the Star Wars history in developing the game’s story and has created an overarching narrative that players can enjoy, regardless of their play style. Our goal is to offer players an emotionally rewarding experience that combines the traditional elements of MMO gameplay with innovations in story and character development.”

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 22, 2008, 01:44 Kxmode

Lucas destroyed the "present" Star Wars. Now he wants to go back in time and mess up its history too.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 22, 2008, 01:27 xXBatmanXx

Tell ya what, they remake Tie Fighter with up to date graphics and new campaigns while keeping the original style and I might even forgive them...

+1

To the nth.

I am very surprised they are entering this genre.....of course, Lucas and his enterprises have endless amounts of cash....but who knows...just seems like too risky of a venture. Going to have ot be HUGE!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: It doesn't look that bad, does it? Oct 22, 2008, 01:03 Jerykk

Generic MMO #1859320, coming right up.

27. Re: It doesn't look that bad, does it? Oct 22, 2008, 00:01 The Half Elf

Creston be thankful they didn't use the word 'iconic' in the press release!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. It doesn't look that bad, does it? Oct 21, 2008, 22:47 Creston

The resolution in those screenshots is horrific, and someone might tell Bioware there's this thing called anti-aliasing now, but the design is good looking, there's a lot of detail in some of those screenshots, it's well colored. It looks pretty good to me (resolution excepted).

Creston

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 22:32 theyarecomingforyou

Tell ya what, they remake Tie Fighter with up to date graphics and new campaigns while keeping the original style and I might even forgive them...
+1

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: The Good News is..... Oct 21, 2008, 22:31 CJ_Parker

If this game takes place 300 years after the first Knights of the Old Republic, there's still a chance Knights of the Old Republic 3 could be made.

Err.. what? Why would that chance not be there if the MMO would be set during the time of the original KotORs? Shouldn't be too hard to keep the games from interfering with each other. Besides Lucas has never really cared much for canon or continuity when there was money to be made. See SWG.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 22:30 Ecthelion

I guess this was inevitable, but it's still sad to see Bioware jump on the MMO bandwagon.

At least Obsidian is still making real RPGs, even if they're imperfect.

22. Re: The Good News is..... Oct 21, 2008, 22:28 Asmodai

The teats of the star wars franchise are cracked, bleeding and more importantly virtually empty.

The only thing I've seen from SW recently that didn't suck are the EU novels. Everything else has been dead ordinary to stinking pile of feces.

21. Re: The Good News is..... Oct 21, 2008, 21:55 meezookeewee

If this game takes place 300 years after the first Knights of the Old Republic, there's still a chance Knights of the Old Republic 3 could be made.

20. Re: The Good News is..... Oct 21, 2008, 21:24 Creston

That it can't be worse then SWG

Please don't say things like that...

Creston

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 21:01 Grounded

So basically a solo MMO. Great, just what we need more of.....

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:51 dryden555

I'm done with mmorpg's but I wish this one well anyway. KOTOR1 was a pretty good single player game.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:46 HellSlayer

I would rather have a seamless world than cutting edge graphics!  
o0

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:22 Talisorn

I am a bit of a fan of stylised graphics myself ( ... I guess that's why WoW's style never bothered me in the slightest). I think that an "Old Republic" setting really lends itself to the Superheroes/Saturday Morning cartoons kind of graphics style ...

.. but that's just my opinion.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:15 dan

*sigh*

Lucasarts used to do original stuff.

In a galaxy far far away.....

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:13 CJ_Parker

I'm not sure that having bleeding edge graphics in an MMO is a wise idea.

I wouldn't even need it to be "bleeding edge". Just a little more realistic and mature would make me become way more interested in the game. The way it looks in these screenshots makes it look exactly like the kiddie game I expected from BW and Lucas.

Why the hell make this an MMO? Why not just make a multiplayer sequel to KotOR?

Because MMO = mo' monnneeeehhh

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 20:13.

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:05 anyprophet

The graphics seem fine to me. I'm not sure that having bleeding edge graphics in an MMO is a wise idea. Especially when you're using a license that has broad appeal. Also, we don't know how far along they are in development. So saying that the graphics are disappointing is a bit premature.

Especially when there are more important things to be skeptical about. Like their idea to have story driven content. Why the hell make this an MMO? Why not just make a multiplayer sequel to KotOR?

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:04 Aero

Looks pretty good to me, stylized, a little comic-book-like, not technically fancy but reasonably tasteful.

Of course, I hate MMORPGS though I did like KOTOR. So why am I posting? Because I'm bored, that's why. If it worked a little more like Mass Effect, semi-action, that would be something interesting. I might try that even though I do hate MMORPGS. There's a first time for everything.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:03 ColoradoHoudini

I'm going to need that game to look a lot better than those screenshots indicate.
That better be the low end stuff.. because that looks are corny as Tabula Rasa.

Here's to hoping they can pull off a really damn good universe to play in.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo