Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2

Ubisoft announces that Far Cry 2 is now available, offering open world first-person shooter gameplay set in the wilds of Africa: "SAN FRANCISCO – October 21, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Far Cry 2 has shipped to store shelves for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and PC. Far Cry 2 has an ESRB of 'M' for Mature and will be available at the manufacturer's suggested retail price of $59.99 for Xbox 360 and the PLAYSTATION 3 system and at $49.99 for Windows PC. 'From the beginning, we've set out to create a truly dynamic, open-world experience in Far Cry 2,' said Tony Key, senior vice president of marketing and sales for Ubisoft. 'Our team has focused on pulling players into the realistic African landscape to allow them to fully immerse themselves in the game's riveting conflict. We're confident that we've created not only one of the most remarkable shooters in recent years, but also one of the year's best games.'" On a related note, the African Swim page on the Adult Swim website has more "making of" footage from Ubisoft Montreal's research trip to Africa they are eager for folks to see to ensure the trip is deductable. They also have music clips showcasing the talents of some South African musicians. Finally, owners of ATI accelerators should recall the hotfix released yesterday (story).

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 27, 2008, 11:07 dryden555

its nice that the PC version has very scalable graphics but personally the shadowing is a bit over-done to my taste no matter what "shadow" setting I use. 100% everything has to have a shadow and that seems to translate into areas and objects looking darker than they actually would be in the "real world." Fiddling with gamma isnt a fix. Its a minor gripe and yea I'm being picky.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 26, 2008, 12:27 KilrathiAce

The game has this awful bug where controls get reset to wasd defaults when going online, its quite kuku...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 18:00 Jackplug

Im like most of the ppl here ive cancelled my pre order on this and
will await them removing that shit off the disc, until then i
refuse to buy it.

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 13:48 Ant

Do those noDVD/DRM removal patches let you play online? I don't mind paying for the game, but hate its copy protection and DVD requirement to play. Can we still play online without them?

And how's the game? Is it true that the drives are long, lots of repetitive checkpoints (not save)?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 13:08 Dades

I only played for an hour this morning but it's pretty damned fun so far. My only complaint is the FoV on my widescreen monitor seems off but I'll go looking through the config files later to change it. Beyond that I'm surprised at how good it is. I tried those beta Nvidia drivers but they just messed up Vista so just stick with vanilla for now is my advice.  

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 12:46 Krovven

In fact, they bought three copies each.

...because they plan on sharing the game with 8 friends, plus their own install. But only 2 of the friends besides himself will be playing online. Cus that's apparently what pirates do these days is just share their game with friends and family.

And the 360 version wasn't already pirated a week ago. We just imagined that.

/sarcasm

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 12:06 Jerykk

Hey, Securom delayed cracking of FC2 for a whole day. Pirates have no patience so I'm sure every single one of them ran out to the store and bought a copy. In fact, they bought three copies each.

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 11:37 everyone

Yeah, right. Ships ahoy. It's already available at every warez site out there with a crack circumventing copy protection, activation, etc. This draconian drm-shit really works .

Developers and publishers, you need to understand: DRM does not prevent cracking and sharing your games. And it's not the pirates who complain - it's those poor souls that BOUGHT the game. Your DRM annoys them, not the pirates. The pirates have their cracks, dongles, and whatever. Only the people who actually buy the game have to deal with limited numbers of activation and shit.

Which means: pay and get annoyed. Or steal and have it your way. Don't make the people choose between these alternatives - the choice would be clear, except for wealthy nerds and enthusiast gamers supporting the developers (and in some cases even the publishers).

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 11:44.

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 22, 2008, 10:16 Cabezone

The Gamespy reviewer was actually playing the console version. He mentions having to save at safe houses. Only the console versions are restricted to those save points. Shit the only difference between the reviews is they inserted some PC specific stuff into the PC review, bout 4 sentences. Otherwise they're word for word identical, they forgot to take out the save point part for the PC review.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 10:19.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 22:43 Jerykk

Having to fight your way through countless security checkpoints while you're trying to drive from mission to mission sounds really annoying.

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 22:19 theyarecomingforyou

It's less than a month until Left4Dead and GTA IV come out, and I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied until then.
I hate to burst your bubble but Rockstar is owned by 2K Games, the company that pioneered activation based DRM with Bioshock. The chance of GTA4 not using activations is zero.

I've upgraded everything in my system except the motherboard with XP OEM and have never had to re-activate or re-install, and I've been running on this install for 3 years now.
Lovely, but I was specifically referring to motherboard + processor changes. When I changed chipsets with XP it couldn't handle it, yet moving from AMD 939 to Intel 775 with Vista was fine.

Somehow Far Cry 2 managed to score 70 on Gamespy. I know review sites have been dodgy for a long time but this is getting ridiculous.

PCGamer 94
IGN 89
Gamespy 70

I'm guessing Gamespy has started charging more for favourable reviews.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 22:01 jimnms

I was going to pre-order FarCry2 from GameStop since you get the extra missions and a map, but when they announced the included DRM, I didn't bother. I'll wait and see if they'll remove the BS later like they did with BioShock and pick it up then. It's less than a month until Left4Dead and GTA IV come out, and I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied until then.

Oh yeah, XP was terrible when dealing with motherboard/processor changes but Vista is quite robust.
I've upgraded everything in my system except the motherboard with XP OEM and have never had to re-activate or re-install, and I've been running on this install for 3 years now.

Yeah, by default, Vista ruins browsing folders with a mixed file type that includes mp3's and/or photos. Enjoy.
Can you disable that folder view by file type like you can in XP? I bought Vista Home Premium for $50 at CompUSA when they went out of business and even sent off for my 64bit disk, but I haven't installed it yet or even peeled off the shrink wrap. XP is working fine right now and I don't have any DX10 games (except BioShock), and I hate reinstalling an OS and getting it all set up the way I like it.

It's been this long, maybe I should sell it on Ebay and wait for Windows7.

Steam Profile

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 21:24 Reactor

Review is up on Ign for those interested...

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 20:26 Jerykk

I'll just say you could add that to just about any review of most games.

This is true. However, open-world games really need good AI because they can't rely on elaborate level scripting to compensate.

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 19:47 LittleMe

Ecthelion, here is a working fix your your Vista explorer bug issue:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/choosetemplate
or http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2332394,00.asp

I did this myself. Yeah, by default, Vista ruins browsing folders with a mixed file type that includes mp3's and/or photos. Enjoy.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 19:30 theyarecomingforyou

If it sucks it sucks, whatever. My guess, worst case: mediocre.
Exactly. Even if the singleplayer is lacking (what with the complaints about AI and such) the multiplayer actually looks pretty decent and the level editor is very impressive - hopefully the community will really run wild with it. Really though, the graphics looks great and the benchmarks show it performs well - the gameplay also looks to do a lot new, so I'm not too worried. The developers have at least paid attention to what people didn't like with Far Cry, which is more than can be said for Crytek with Crysis.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 18:40 Aero

I see that Edge gave it an 80%. Probably apples/oranges, but 80% to 94% is a significant gap.

Either way, I'm picking it up after work tomorrow. I've been looking forward to it for quite a while, no time to wait for reviews. If it sucks it sucks, whatever. My guess, worst case: mediocre.

The premise sort of reminds me of Boiling Point, except developed by a company that has a clue about what its doing. Probably not so much RPG (stats and stuff), but I never cared for that stuff in an action game anyways.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 18:49.

52. Re: So.... Oct 21, 2008, 18:29 Krovven

The rez looked really low.

Most of, if not all of the videos lately are from the console versions.

Check GameTrailers for videos of the PC version.

51. So.... Oct 21, 2008, 18:01 Shataan

how is this games visuals and A.I. compared to Far Cry? I am still on the fence on this 1. I really hope the visuals are loads better than I saw in the interactive movie on Far Cry 2s site. The rez looked really low.

Anyone try the mp out yet? How does it feel controlling your character? Thx.

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 17:56 Prez

Hey CJ -

Just a friendly suggestion: if you want every thread you participate in to become a flame-filled pissing match, continue with your abrasive, uncompromising, and argumentative style. If not, perhaps you could try to be a bit more diplomatic. It wouldn't kill you I'm thinking.

As far as upgrades and Windows go, I have changed out my motherboard about once a year for the last 8 years, and the only time I didn't have to reinstall Windows from scratch was the time I changed and older ECS board with a newer one with the same chipset.

As far as the CPU, I used to agree with you - I have upgraded my CPU many times and it always worked fine up until recently. When I changed out my X2 3800 for an X2 5000, I could no longer upload songs to my Zune because this change broke Microsoft's bullshit DRM. No matter what I tried for weeks, I could not get it to work. Microsoft's help file on the subject was useless. I ended up re-installing Windows to get it working again.

Excuse my French, but I fucking hate DRM.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo