Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have the second appointment for my root canal today. I'm hopeful this means it is the minor, not painful portion of the program, but I have to admit to myself that my instincts tend to be 100% wrong on this topic. Any dental work I imagine will be routine is traumatic, and vice versa. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. No wait, I've gotten off track there.

Rotted Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Towering Forever.
Stories: Officer Fired After Tasering Teen for Fun at a Birthday Party.
Doctors get death diagnosis tips.
Science: Airliner had near miss with UFO.
Rock records dino 'dance floor'.
Media: Phonographantasmascope.
Dog does his best Harley Davidson impression. Careful, that can get you sued.
Follow-up: Soldier's adopted dog finally leaves Iraq for U.S.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 23:09 Jeraxle

But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. First snow! Oct 21, 2008, 17:16 Cutter

First! Wow, it's snowing up here in Hogtown. Kinda wet, and not very big, but it's most definitely white out there. Some places further north of Toronto have seen a lot of it today, enough so to build little snowmen.

Methinks this is going to be a pretty brutal winter.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 11:37 Syntarsus

I've always handled dental trauma with the help of Mssrs. Jose Cuervo, Captian Morgan, or Johnny Walker.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 10:20 Quboid

I love people arguing against science on the internet. Shouldn't you, I don't know, tell God and ask him to pass the message on? Of course science gets things wrong, that's how it evolves (excuse the flamebaiting). The thing about science is anyone can sit up and say "hey, that doesn't add up" and people will consider your argument, rather than blindly insisting some fairy tales are infallible and anyone who disagrees will burn for eternity.

This is what religion (and inbreeding) causes:
http://www.videosift.com/video/I-cant-imagine-a-President-being-named-Obama

- Quboid

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 10:19 Quboid

I saw a documentary about that kid on TV, he got the treatment that he needed - shame about everyone else - and then him and his family got wiped out by insurgents (not the Taliban!). What a mess. So many people, on both sides, should be so ashamed of what they've done in the last 6 years.

Edit: Fixed text and here's a link:
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/35265

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 10:24.

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 09:45 InBlack

Man that is just vile, and Im not talking about what the Taliban supposedly did to the boy (btw Taliban are from Afghanistan NOT Iraq) Im talking about your vile and rascist nature Quicksilver.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 10:26.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 09:40 Overon

There was an Iraqi boy, who was shot up by US soldiers by mistake.
Just one? In war in an urban area there are always children and families getting shot up.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 09:16 Quicksilver

On the subject of that dog going to the states, Im really glad that the dog's life was saved, but something keeps nagging me.

What would have happened had it been an Iraqi orphan that soldier tried to adopt instead of a shaggy dog? Would the internet response be so overwhelmingly positive? I kind of would hope the answer be "yeah sure", but we live in a cynical world....

Worried

There was an Iraqi boy, who was shot up by US soldiers by mistake. They brought him back to Boston where he was treated for his injuries and sent back home. The Taliban then promptly blew up his house and murdered his family. Much in the same way gerbils eat their young if you handle them too much after their born.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 09:08 InBlack

On the subject of that dog going to the states, Im really glad that the dog's life was saved, but something keeps nagging me.

What would have happened had it been an Iraqi orphan that soldier tried to adopt instead of a shaggy dog? Would the internet response be so overwhelmingly positive? I kind of would hope the answer be "yeah sure", but we live in a cynical world....

Worried

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 09:09.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 08:56 strich

good luck with the appt blue. hopefully this is the last of your tooth tales you'll have to tell us about.

Hey, anyone seen this yet? for those halloween lovers:
http://www.hallowindow.com/ Halloween

Damn Frans, you really bulked up on the emotes.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 08:56.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 08:52 Starsky

My wife's favorite movie.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 08:39 Overon

The preponderance of the evidence about teeth says that genetics plays the largest role. Cleaning habits and dental visits do have a significant result on on outcomes but genetics rules the tooth.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 08:35 Overon

Hellslayer I do not feel like getting into the discussion with you about the power of science.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 07:48 InBlack

I try to brush twice a day, as a minnimum. But who knows, most people seem to think genes are the key with teeth. I recently had to go clean up some white caries, managed to get it before it got to the nerve, so the teeth is saved. Hopefully its not the beginning of the end.

Devil

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 07:28 Quboid

LittleMe is right, concentrate on your breathing. I had major dental anxiety to the point where I couldn't even go for a couple of years but I got myself in gear and learnt three things that help so much.

1) Concentrate on breathing. You'll be surprised just how bad your breathing is when you think about it and slow, deep breaths will help so much.
2) Relax your body! Very much related to breathing, I found I was tensing up, my whole body becoming very rigid.
3) Go to step 1. Your mind will wander and you'll start focusing on what the dentist is doing and when that happens, your breathing goes and you tense up. The whole visit, you need to go through the breath/relax cycle over and over.

Once I started really forcing myself to breath gentle but deep breaths and to relax my body, the process became a lot less hellish. I have visit #1 of a root canal tomorrow. Visit 1 is the worst (it's taking apart the existing root), then visit 2 is checking that any infection is completely gone and filling it up. Some jobs may take more visits, I got another root canal a few months ago which took 5! (That's British teeth for you!)

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 07:11 Prez

Hellslayer do you really believe the rubbish you actually put into writing on these boards??

I absolutely guarantee you with the utmost certainty that he does. I know too many people who hate science because they fear it intrudes upon their faith. Me, I believe that one can have faith and still see the good in science - but then again I am an outcast by most Christian standards.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 06:51 InBlack

Hellslayer do you really believe the rubbish you actually put into writing on these boards??

If you dont like our "so-called" science why dont you kindly unplug your cable modem (provided by you guessed it: SCIENCE!) and go live in the woods for a couple of years.

Good luck with the dentist Blue, not that youll need it. Luck and other superstition has nothing to do with it.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 07:20.

8. Harley Dog Oct 21, 2008, 06:48 Hump

That video just made my morning.....holy shit that is hilarious.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 05:32 PHJF

I don't know if that's all he's got to fear...

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/SleepyGinaG/OrinScrivelloDDS_2.jpg

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2008, 04:39 Cutter

All you really need to fear is coming out of the gas induced coma a bit early and seeing your dentist pulling up his pants.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo