Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PCGA Slaps LucasArts

VideoGamer.com quotes Intel's Randy Stude, president of the PC Gaming Alliance, criticizing LucasArts over the lack of a PC edition of Star Wars: Force Unleashed, which LucasArts has said was based on the difficulty getting the game to work on lower-end PC systems. The quotes, excerpted from a full interview to be published later this week, call the decision to avoid the PC "uneducated," and Stude also says LucasArts "hasn't made a good PC game in a long time," not that reviews for Force Unleashed are that stellar, either. Here's a bit more: "They're not really creating product within LucasArts themselves. They're going at it job shopping their IP. That may be a little controversial for me to say, but that's what I see. There's no development team necessarily within LucasArts any more, they've basically turned into an intellectual property machine and supporting the PC, why should they? It really doesn't fit their property." Thanks Sepharo and Kotaku.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: PCGA Slaps LucasArts Oct 20, 2008, 23:27 Jerykk

You think Fallout would've been popular in 1997 if it had looked like a NES game? Or Deus Ex if it had used the Quake 1 engine? Most of the classics were close to state-of-the-art when they came out.

Uh, neither Fallout nor Deus Ex were even close to state of the art in terms of presentation when they came out. In fact, I'd argue that most classic games were behind the curve when it came to presentation. It makes sense, as they were concerned more with gameplay than production values. Quite the opposite to today's gaming climate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: PCGA Slaps LucasArts Oct 20, 2008, 18:52 swaaye

BTW, I too love the SNES Star Wars Trilogy. Lightsaber dueling with Vader in Super ESB just made be uber giddy. And the cool use of Mode 7 for the vehicle stages (Battle of Hoth, etc) was sweet stuff back then.

The modern gamer's fanatical devotion to graphics and physics plays right into the wishes of the hardware developers. Gamers want--and deserve--exactly what they're getting.

It has always been about the technology as much as the gameplay and story. Always. And plenty of great stuff has been made regardless. It's all about experiencing another world interactively and there is always the desire to see it fleshed out better than before. You think Fallout would've been popular in 1997 if it had looked like a NES game? Or Deus Ex if it had used the Quake 1 engine? Most of the classics were close to state-of-the-art when they came out.

It's an evolving medium in every way, and that of course can mean that all aspects don't go in the way one would personally hope. And since it's software development, the "planets" don't always align to allow everything to go well during development...

The modern problem is the cost and manpower needed to make games that keep up in the tech arms race. Game quality is super subjective anyway.
This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 19:04.

33. Re: Guess my question is... Oct 20, 2008, 12:05 Jerykk

BTW, GoW2 has been pirated. Hopefully millions of people will download it and the incident will be heavily covered in the media.

32. Re: Guess my question is... Oct 20, 2008, 10:04 Overon

Why haven't they jumped Microsoft's shit over not doing a Gears of War/Halo Wars port?
Well let's see. It could be because Gears of War 2 is coming to the pc eventually. Why wouldn't it? Epic wants more money and a sure fire way to gain more money is to release a game on xbox360 first (have MS pay you a boatload for exclusivity) and then after some time release it on PC. I know they said it would not but that's what Epic said about Gears of War 1 and they did the same thing.
Or it could be because Epic's Vice President Mark Rein serves in the PCGA and you cannot upset your members or they might take their ball and go home.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 10:10.

31. Re: Guess my question is... Oct 20, 2008, 09:16 InBlack

When is Tie Fighter 2 coming out?

What is that? When the cows come home? When pigs start flying? When George Lucas dies? Hmmmmm

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Guess my question is... Oct 20, 2008, 05:01 The Half Elf

Why haven't they jumped Microsoft's shit over not doing a Gears of War/Halo Wars port?

I will say I enjoyed the story of Force Unleashed better then Jedi Academy, but overall Academy was a better gaming experience.

But then again the horrible camera control never came up in Force Unleashed play tests.

Overall it's not even worth the energy to get angry and bitch about it anymore. Lucasarts is dead.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 04:09 Bhruic

It's ironic that when the PC Game Alliance finally does something, it's to complain about the non-porting of a decidedly mediocre console game.

I think you've misunderstood the situation. The PCGA hasn't done anything (here at least). One person, who happens to be the president, has done something.

28. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 01:55 Jerykk

While I applaud PCGA for insulting LucasArts, they still have no credibility in my eyes. They actually stated that PC exclusives aren't important and that they won't take any efforts to convince publishers and developers to make them.

Guess what PCGA? The best-selling PC games of all time were designed for the PC. If you want to expand the audience for PC gaming, you need to offer them something they can't get on consoles. Ports aren't going to attract anyone.

27. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 00:55 Karl_L

As for no PC making...I find that pretty laughable. I played both the 360 version at a friends and the Wii version on my own system...they were effectively the exact same game minus a few under-the-hood changes. The Wii just doesn't have the horsepower to do a lot of the physics-based crap.

That said, if it could be ported to the Wii, it can be put on the PC.

Not really ported to the Wii, It has completely different art and levels. It just shares the overall storyline and the fact that you just walk through dull levels doing the same thing over and over.
Also the Wii version is a port of the ps2 version done in the last several months of development.

26. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 00:34 sponge

No, but I think it's valuable to try and get LucasArts to reconsider their beating of the dead horse, AND bring it to the PC.

How are the sales doing anyway? If it's selling well on the consoles, then the PC is missing out on sales, whatever snide "PC gamers are too smart for this game!" comments aside. Those statements hold as much water to me as "Piracy is killing the PC" since both statements involve a number that can't be quantified by anything but a few correlating points.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 00:37.

25. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 23:35 Prez

I'm not disputing what you say, Sponge, but we are talking 2 different things here. Of course Star Wars is a huge property when compared to Tribes and Fallout but my point is if the PGA is going to be of any value, it probably isn't going to be through fighting to get bad or mediocre games ported to PC.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 22:24 Cutter

I rented Jedi FU and it sucked IMO. It's about as console as a console game can get. Yeah, I think it's fair to say LA is done.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. NEW X-WING Oct 19, 2008, 22:11 Wildone

nuff said.

22. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 21:52 sponge

It's ironic that when the PC Game Alliance finally does something, it's to complain about the non-porting of a decidedly mediocre console game.

Star Wars is still big money. People can wish for more games like Tribes, Fallout, Grim Fandango, etc, and while they're all well and good games for the most part, they don't hold a candle to what Star Wars means as a name/property. And it's a shame that they are whoring out the IP rather than putting thought into the game, as Jedi Academy proved it can be awesome.

21. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 21:35 Prez

It's ironic that when the PC Game Alliance finally does something, it's to complain about the non-porting of a decidedly mediocre console game. I understand that the idea is more to convince developers that PC versions should me more than an afterthought and not really optional, but if this is all they are good for I'm not sure they are needed. I'm waiting for them to do something of import. Of course, a great start would be kicking Microsoft, the company leading the charge of the implosion of PC gaming, off the panel.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2008, 21:36.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 21:34 Elf Shot The Food

They should have picked up the rights to Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy and re-skinned the characters.

19. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 20:32 Kxmode

This just goes to show you that there are dupes out there that'll buy ANYTHING with the name Star Wars on it. It's sad.  

18. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 20:29 MuzixMon

At first I was pissed that TFU wasn't coming for PC but after playing it I'm glad it didn't. It was bad on the consoles and would've been 10 times worse on the PC for sure. Not to mention that PC gamers expect better than what that game offers so don't worry PCGA no big loss there! Funny thing is that Lucasarts stated they would use TFU as a benchmark of quality for all their future games... LOL ... if that's quality then they could keep it!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

17. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 20:13 D-Rock

Well, it seems Wilson has spoken from on high and we can all go home as we are all getting what we want and deserve.

Oh Yeah? Oblivion, The Witcher (EE), Sins of a Solar Empire, Medieval 2: Total War, Peggle, Puzzle Quest, even WoW.

Those PC games are just a few of what I want and somehow I got them, does that mean I deserved them?

Save your pronouncements for people who are swayed my them...real gamers know that the PC market is very good, great even if you count MMOs. Solid PC only titles, visually stunning landscapes and models, challenging and novel gameplay and a wide variety of hardware to choose from that makes it all work...at all price points for all budgets.

Retail box options and/or digital distribution, DRM is around but can be circumvented while still supporting the developers studio. Not to mention the pipeline is full of titles with potential. Also hardware and software continue to improve by adding functionality and efficiency and allowing new programming possibilities.

Do you want to support PC games of your favored genre? Buy them. Or you can put your robe and wizard hat back on announce more bull, your eminence.

I think you've summed up why the PC is still a much respected platform. Sure, the 'cost of entry' (in the form of a learning curve) can be high, but it's certainly rewarding for those with the patience for it.

I think what Wilson is trying to say is that the industry (unfortunately) is following the economy of the market and has strayed from the purist approach to making games. The mainstream gamer DOES deserve graphics and physics (ooh...shiny!) because that's what they ask for and that's what they get (hence the 'deserve' comment). It's sad that no one wants to educate oneself enough to understand what the old skool PC gamer does. You are doing the right thing by speaking with your dollars and only buying games that are worthy (versus saying 'this sux' and buying it anyway).

That being said, there's no need to slam Wilson -- he's just being a realist. 'Gamers' are getting exactly what they are asking for. Until they stop buying, we won't stop seeing crap.

D-Rock

16. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 19:15 Kobalt

I still play jedi academy every once and a while. Still populated servers out there.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo