Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space PC Controls Nerfed?

WhatIfGaming has a post about the controls in the PC edition of Dead Space, after playing around with a prerelease edition of the sci-fi horror game. They take strong issue with the controls, saying "The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn’t seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes." They contacted EA and got the following explanation: "Dead Space for PC is an equivalent experience to that on consoles. The controls are different and customizable, but we feel it’s in the best ability for the players to match what the console experience is like." Reviews of the PC edition are not yet appearing, it will be interesting to see whether this is considered an issue for others.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 25, 2008, 11:21 Kedyn

The problems with the mouse controls in Dead Space is caused by having Vsync ON. Turn it OFF, and most of your mouse lag goes away.

That said, I played the game with a game pad, and prefer it that way. It just fits. It's much faster than a keyboard if you take time to learn. Not as fast as a mouse, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the best game this year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 21, 2008, 13:35 Tumbler

I thought the same thing about the pulse rifle secondary but it's rapid fire as well. Hold it down for a nice fireworks show... That still does nothing. I was hoping I'd found a weapon to get me out of close quarters because once they're on you kind of screwed.

I never used the flame thrower or force gun also so a challenge room with all the weapons would be very cool.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

80. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 21, 2008, 12:07 dryden555

I still havent figured out how the pulse rifle 2ndary file could be useful. It fires one shot directly up. In this game where nothing dies with one hit, what could that do? On the other hand, the line rifle's stationary mines are awesomely destructive if you can herd a few enemies into one point -- I conserve that ammo solely for mine use.

79. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 21, 2008, 11:46 Tumbler

Just finished playing this game on the 360, extremely good game, 9/10 easy. It's not perfect but extremely entertaining. I wish they'd included some type of challenge room after you beat the game that lets you play with all the weapons, upgrades, etc. I want to take the line gun to a hallway full of baddies. Oh the destruction it would cause.

Plus it would allow players to learn a bit more about the secondary uses of each weapon. Those mines from the Line gun were pretty tough to use, I guess they were designed for a stationary target...? Or the Pulse rifles secondary? That didn't do anything for me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

78. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 21, 2008, 11:24 Dades

I'll just hookup a gamepad to my PC, I could really care less about the retarded drama politics around here about control mechanisms. If it's a fun game, I'll bloody play it even if the primary control is a dancepad or a Barbie Wii-mote. I'll be ripping people up with the plasma torch in a few days, cheers.

77. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 21, 2008, 08:53 dryden555

Nah, this game should not be on the PC at all because of its unique shooting mechanics.

It is one of the better action genre console games I have played in years and that includes GTA4, mass effect, bioshock and other disappointments.

76. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 19:08 Prez

Why even bother releasing a game on PC if it is basically unplayable on keyboard/mouse? They simply didn't want to rebalance the game for PC and so decided instead to bastardize the control scheme. Lazy.

EXACTLY.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

75. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 17:57 theyarecomingforyou

Sorry gang but in this instance, it would be far too easy to shoot all of the limbs off with the presicion of a mouse unless some non-sensical rabling aim point is added in the PC version. If you play the game, you'll know why a mouse would wreck the game.
Why even bother releasing a game on PC if it is basically unplayable on keyboard/mouse? They simply didn't want to rebalance the game for PC and so decided instead to bastardise the control scheme. Lazy.

Call me a traitor if you want, I don't care if something is made for a gamepad if it is done well.
Isn't that the point though? This game has been designed for unresponsive controls in order to create a sense of fear. As I said I'm very happy playing GRID with my X360 controller - you can play with keyboard but the X360 is simply better. With Dead Space they've simply fucked up the keyboard/mouse controls to make the experience the same as on a controller. It's simply a quick fix to avoid taking the time to do a proper PC release.

I didn't really have any issues with Assassin's Creed's PC controls.
+1

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

74. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 16:09 Jerykk

I didn't really have any issues with Assassin's Creed's PC controls. I did have issues with the rest of the game, though.

73. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 15:57 MattyC

Call me a traitor if you want, I don't care if something is made for a gamepad if it is done well. I still couldn't believe how poorly Assassin's Creed was done. Other than a somewhat lame story twist I actually thought that could have been a good game too, but I just couldn't get past the sheer awfulness of the PC controls. If they can't get the controls right with a K&M, then slap something about a controller on the box and at least get that part right so the game is playable. That much I can deal with if the game really is good.

72. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 15:51 MMORPGHoD

Not my kind of game anyways. Any game where I feel like I'm fighting the controls rather than enjoying the game is too frustrating. I still do not believe this is what we would ended up with if the PS3 and 360 had kb/m interfaces that were primarily supported.

Hurry up and invent holodecks so we can stop accepting such gimpy game designs.

71. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 14:24 dryden555

Sorry gang but in this instance, it would be far too easy to shoot all of the limbs off with the presicion of a mouse unless some non-sensical rabling aim point is added in the PC version. If you play the game, you'll know why a mouse would wreck the game.

70. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 14:04 MMORPGHoD

not having standardized controls on the PC is inexcusable

That about sums it up. It's obviously another half ass PC port.

"we feel it’s in the best ability for the players to match what the console experience is like" ... and not have to do additional work in porting it to the PC.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 14:05.

69. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 14:03 [THA] Hamst3r

*checks the battery life on his Wireless XBOX 360 Controller for PC*

Full.

Time to play Dead Space!

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

68. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 12:13 noman

I think the notion that all PC games should be fully optimized for mouse/keyboard is one that sells the PC platform short.

PC's strength is adaptability, and playing each game using the best possible method. It's not like a console where you are stuck at awful controls for fast moving FPS or RTS games, just because the primary interface is controller-based. There's no way that a controller can match keyboard/mouse in an FPS and similarly third-person slow paced survival horror, racers and platform games play better on analog controls.

It all depends on what kind of game Dead Space is. If it plays anything like Silent Hill, Resident Evil or the original Alone in the Dark, then I'll enjoy it on a $20 generic dual-analog gamepad instead of suffering through a keyboard based control.

67. Re: Dead Space PC Controls Oct 20, 2008, 11:56 Jerykk

The the idea that effective mouse/keyboard support is one of those standards in a game that doesn't need it is silly.

Except that most PC gamers believe that any game on the PC should at least be playable, if not ideal, with M+KB. You may find this silly but I think your opinion represents the vast minority of PC gamers.

66. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 08:44 InBlack

Goddamn I was so looking forward to this game, now I HAVE to play it using a gamepad....:(

I have a nifty blue line!

65. Re: No subject Oct 20, 2008, 08:04 Prez

Besides, if you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford a decent gamepad.

There's a lot of things I can afford that I don't have. This is simply because I don't want them. I will NOT play a shooter with a gamepad on the PC. Period.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Mouse might not be a good idea Oct 20, 2008, 06:46 dryden555

I'm extremely enjoying Dead Space on 360 but I can see how using the precision of the mouse might actually tarnish the gameplay. The idea is to dismember the enemies to kill them. So the usual and annoying auto-aim on console shooters isnt used here because shooting at their torso would kill you. Since there is no console auto-aim, the game designers made most of the weapons fire more like a shotgun than a pistol. Then you have "stasis" power which slows the creatures down to a crawl for about 5 seconds. Hence, you can imagine with the fine precision of the mouse, how ultra easy this game would be. This game was designed for game console controllers, for better or for worse. By the way his game is good strategic fun on hard difficulty. It is what Bioshock should have been, which was a cakewalk.

63. No subject Oct 20, 2008, 06:15 Zzet

I just thought I'd add that I've been playing console games since the original Nintendo, and 'PC' style games since the Atari 512 (STE!). Never have I considered controls as anything less than the most important factor in enjoying a game. If you can't control something intuitively, or if some aspect prevents you from doing a legal in-game action, or if you get frustrated, then the controls are not good enough.

Ports from consoles have this as their number one problem. Look at Halo and Halo 2 - reasonably sub par shooters but consigned to the shit heap due to their god-awful controls. I almost cried when I played Halo 2 on a friend's Vista system after he bargain bin'd it, it was so bad.

Anyway, porting a console game to the PC and not taking the time to at least ensure the universal control method - mouse and keyboard - is up to scratch and responsive enough is tantamount to failure, from the perspective of experienced PC gamers at least. I consider myself in this category, I consider many others on this site similarly, and believe us when we say Dead Space got it wrong.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo