Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Warhead Postmortem

The Crysis Warhead Post Mortem Q&A on The Armchair Empire is a chat with Crytek Producers Bernd Diemer and Eric Lagel looking back at development of Crysis Warhead following the release of the shooter follow-up. One answer explains how seriously they took feedback about the original Crysis when they designed Warhead: "We do try to pay attention to all feedback; no matter of where it comes from it is very valuable for us. When we started working on Warhead, we spent a lot of time going through forum posts, reviews and emails to identify the major gripes people had with Crysis, and tried to find solutions for them- Alien AI, performance, vehicles and the gameplay shift in last third of the original game received the most focus. Feedback stings if it is negative, but it is extremely valuable and important to look at it. After all it comes from the players, and one general rule of game design is that the player is always right."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Warhead Rocks! Oct 17, 2008, 21:42 zirik

same here. i enjoyed warhead more than crysis. the train combat is very well done.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Warhead Rocks! Oct 17, 2008, 19:15 Joss

Just finished Warhead today and I gotta tell ya, it's night & day FASTER compared to Crysis! Going back and playing some levels I like.

Love the train combat!

25. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 18:06 4D-Boxing

SlamDunk

I agree with you on CoD4 single player, It does not compare to Crysis or even Crysis Warhead in terms of gameplay.

However, multiplayer is another story at the moment but maybe Warhead will fix this down the road.

24. CoD4... bla Oct 17, 2008, 17:36 MuzixMon

After CoD2 came out for multiplatform I lost total interest in CoD games in general. CoD2 and CoD4 are not PC games they are simply console "Me Too" shooters that I feel are bland and boring no matter how hyped they are. MoHAA, CoD1 and the expansion were fantastic after that it all just got Console focused dumbed down crap!
In my eyes Crysis is just a better game than CoD4 through and through in every aspect. BUT Crysis is the last of it's kind, we won't see another Exclusive AAA PC shooter again... maybe never again and that just makes me sick.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

23. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 17:26 SlamDunk

how people can digest Cryteks crap once theyve played CoD4
To each their own... I have never liked the CoD series. The first Medal of Honour game for the PC was great but after that, and now with CoD, those games have been pure "meh". CoD series is like Britney Spears of games.

Crysis is a much better game than CoD 4. The gameplay style of Crysis really appeals to me. Crysis Firefights™ are always so awesome.

22. Re: What the... Oct 17, 2008, 17:03 Freaky

Performance still sucked, changing the system scan thing to give lower settings isn't a better engine, it's a quick hack. They probably tweaked it as well to be fair, but nothing noticeable.

Um, it was pretty noticable here; I can play Warhead with higher resolution and with comparable detail levels to the original and it still runs smoother.

Autodetection did seem a bit conservative, though, I had a lot of popup before I bumped up the detail levels.

21. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 15:10 Krovven

Crysis absolutely annihilates CoD 4's 4 hours of weaksauce.

Crysis MP is garbage compared to CoD4, and I'm not even a big fan of the A.D.D. frenzy & exploit infested MP CoD4.

Personally I liked the CoD4 SP game better than Crysis, but at the $30 price point, not $50.

20. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 14:50 [THA] Hamst3r

Call of Duty 4 is one of the best shooters ever

Hahaha, that's hilarious! Really, I mean it.

CoD 4 was a joke compared to HL2 and Crysis. CoD 4 is just a rail-shooter shooting gallery like House of the Dead, but with terrorists instead of zombies. CoD 4 was so restrictive and linear, they might as well have not even let you control your own movement.

Crysis absolutely annihilates CoD 4's 4 hours of weaksauce.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

19. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 14:12 Kxmode

DRM is like Hitler.
Uh...I know some people that would disagree with that statement. DRM isn't good, but let's not get stupid...

If you want to sugarcoat DRM fine, but don't tell me it's not evil. I have the scars to prove that it is evil.

18. ... Oct 17, 2008, 12:46 theyarecomingforyou

Warhead weas like the less fun part of original Crysis.
I dunno, I found it more enjoyable myself. The early part of Crysis was dull and a big turn-off, whereas Warhead was the opposite.

I got bored with Crysis Wars. I felt all the Battlefield games did it better but maybe with some work it could be really fun.
Yeah, Crysis Wars really isn't my sort of game. It's like the Battlefield series except without the good gameplay, good performance or balance. The vehicle levels just come across as really arcadey / casual and with little depth (find the best vehicle, shoot rockets at everyone); the on-foot levels don't seem well balanced either, with combat rarely lasting more than a few shots and too heavily favouring the attacker (the one that spots the other first). The suit again seems like a chore, while those that can be bothered get a considerable advantage.

I tried the Crysis Wars free weekend recently and I was shocked how similar it felt to the beta way back when. I would go so far to say that it's no different. It probably runs better, I can't remember, but the pacing is still a problem. When you play power struggle there is a lot of time where you aren't fighting, you're just looking for a fight.
Yeah. There have been some changes (more smaller levels) but overall the gameplay isn't very different and that's a bad thing. Considering they had a different team working on it it's disappointing that this was all they could come up with, particularly seeing as they broke compatibility with the original.

Overall Warhead was reasonable, maybe an 8.0-8.5 at best, though in my mind it doesn't even come close to games like HL2/TF2, COD4, Bioshock or the original Far Cry. It was quite polished but very short (4.5hrs), underwhelming performance (on a decent system) and the multiplayer is pretty bad. I was expecting more, though they at least got the price right by only charging $30.

Maybe, maybe, they'd also notice that the worst part of Far Cry was the unnatural mutants. The worst part of Crysis was the unnatural aliens. The worst part of Crysis Warhead was the unnatural aliens. See the pattern yet?
Exactly. I thought Crysis sounding promising from the initial description (guerilla jungle warfare against Koreans) until I read about the aliens and then it just reminded me exactly of the problem with the original Far Cry mutants. At least the Far Cry 2 developers listened and responded to the criticism, much like Valve did with Half-Life 2 following the criticism of the ending on the alien planet. Replacing mutants with aliens was moronic in my opinion.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Crysis vs. Warhead Oct 17, 2008, 11:05 Roachmojo

I thought Warhead was ok, but jesus that was short for $30.

16. Crysis Wars Oct 17, 2008, 10:56 Tumbler

I tried the Crysis Wars free weekend recently and I was shocked how similar it felt to the beta way back when. I would go so far to say that it's no different. It probably runs better, I can't remember, but the pacing is still a problem. When you play power struggle there is a lot of time where you aren't fighting, you're just looking for a fight.

Situational awareness is a big problem in this game. It's very hard to figure out where the enemy is unless he happens to run right in front of you. Compared to games like CoD4 that do such a great job letting you know what is happening arond you with the radar and sound effects.

Team instant action was the best game mode in my opinion. It had all the vehicles already spawned on the map so you weren't running up to terminals waiting for things to be built. That game mode on the battlefield map was fun. But then I started noticing another problem, many of the hvy weapons feel weak. You fire a rocket at a tank and no matter where you hit it, it takes 3 rockets. You fire a tank at another tank and it also takes 3 shots, mabye 4, I dont recall exactly, but it was a bit ridiculous. You fly a gunship around and you have to fire what feels like a dozen missles to kill a vehicle. It wasn't satisfying.

After playing this I'm relieved I didn't buy Warhead. I never cared about the singleplayer side, and the multiplayer side feels dated. You run into tiny street signs with tanks and you come to a complete stop. You hit a tiny tree, full stop. Vehicles seem to have no internal sounds that let you know you're getting shot, so many things missing from this game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Crysis vs. Warhead Oct 17, 2008, 10:10 Z9000

I loved Crysis, I have always liked the Farcry style games, even Predator on 360. I have to agree with what has already been posted. Warhead weas like the less fun part of original Crysis.

I also can play Crysis max settings SLI no problems, but Warhead has all kinds of issues (on lower settings than max) that apparently need a lot of clean up. I get artifacts, triangles sprraying all over the screen, big black polys stretching into infinity etc.. In a cave there was this one area that looked like soda straw stalagtites. I could go on and on, it needs some fixing. I stopped playing half way through.

I will just play normal Crysis or the online stuff which seems to run great despite neeeding a lot of feature/balance/function fixes. I got bored with Crysis Wars. I felt all the Battlefield games did it better but maybe with some work it could be really fun... But I do like the maps where you play team deathmatch and have tanks and vehicles everywhere. I haven't played FPS in 5 years since Planetside (if you count that as even being fps).

It was a fun return to it all. I got started in Doom2 coop and 1 on 1 and played through to about the time when Counterstrike started. I played with TF2 a day just too compare to the original, two forts wasn't the same to me but it looked like a really cool game. I am a couple years away from being a grandpa, so these kind of games are not something I play often anymore

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

14. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 08:50 InBlack

Indeed Call of Duty 4 is one of the best shooters ever, how people can digest Cryteks crap once theyve played CoD4 or HL, HL2 etc. etc. is beyond me...

I have a nifty blue line!

13. What the... Oct 17, 2008, 08:10 Quboid

Game postmortems are bullshit unless the game has been out for long enough that the makers can speak frankly about where they went wrong. Warhead's been out, what, a month? Bullshit. This is a publicity interview, nothing more.

Alien AI, performance, vehicles and the gameplay shift in last third

Well, Warhead's vehicles were fine. However, they did little to address the other issues. The Alien AI sucked. Maybe it was cleverer but it was certainly as annoying and that's what matters. The plot runs parallel so surprise surprise, the last third is largely the same stuff (although without the "inside the alien sphere" bit, which is something). Performance still sucked, changing the system scan thing to give lower settings isn't a better engine, it's a quick hack. They probably tweaked it as well to be fair, but nothing noticeable.

If this was a real game postmortem, they'd admit doing a parallel story was a bad idea as it limited their options, especially with the aliens. They'd admit the engine wasn't quite there, and they'd actually be specific about what they did tweak. Maybe, maybe, they'd also notice that the worst part of Far Cry was the unnatural mutants. The worst part of Crysis was the unnatural aliens. The worst part of Crysis Warhead was the unnatural aliens. See the pattern yet?

- Quboid

- Quboid

12. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 07:53 Buckle Down

I base it on my judgement of the game Crysis which I compare to other shooters of acclaim such as Half-Life
Based on that, this game sucks. Call of Duty 4 spanks it.

11. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 07:29 Buckle Down

DRM is like Hitler.
Uh...I know some people that would disagree with that statement. DRM isn't good, but let's not get stupid...

10. No subject Oct 17, 2008, 07:01 Paketep

SecuROM. That's all the postmortem I need about Crysis Warhead.

9. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 06:00 InBlack

...before the haters start hating, that is my opinion and I base it on my judgement of the game Crysis which I compare to other shooters of acclaim such as Half-Life, and obviously on certain remarks made by certain developers at Crytek.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 05:01 Kxmode

FarQQ by QQtek  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo