Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams Revealed, Teaser Trailer

N4G.com has a revelation from the end of the PS3 version of BioShock, as the conclusion of this console version of 2K Games' submerged shooter offers a teaser trailer for BioShock 2, revealing the sequel's (or prequel's) title as BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams. They offer some screenshots and there's a super-crappy version of the video on YouTube that was shot using a cell-phone. These carry a spoiler warning for those who have not completed the original BioShock, and a description of the clip that "shows a grown up little sister holding a big daddy plush toy, while sand of buildings in Rapture rise from the sand. It's set on the Atlantic Coast."

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 15:02 Flatline

We'll see on Bioshock 2. I feel personally that the story wraps up nicely in the original, and don't feel the *need* to continue that storyline.

That being said, if they are going to continue it, they need to take a more in depth examination of predetermination, free will, and the morality choice. My biggest disappointment in Bioshock was that your moral choices boiled down to either super good happy ending, or super evil dark ending. I'd like more of a gray ending in BS2 being a possibility. The risk you run though by looking at metaphysics deeper than in the first is that you run the risk of being very heavy-handed. The first game balanced all of that out nicely, between Ryan's overly-bombastic objectivism, and the more subtle themes in the game, but without Ken Levine (who I think is one of the most fascinating world builders in the game industry today) helming it, I am not sure if that balance can be maintained.

I don't know. My System Shock 2 bug has been scratched, and scratched *very* well, by Dead Space. It's simpler than SS2, but it's also more focused. I just HATED the asteroid gun scene, because a 360's analog stick doesn't aim fast enough, nor precise enough, to be really effective. However, I'm soaking up the experience.

Bioshock 2 isn't even on my radar right now to be blunt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 17, 2008, 12:04 Jerykk

I really think they should have had fewer but more unique Big Daddies. Something like in Shadow of the Colossus, where each boss fight requires a unique approach. Would have been much better than the two types (plus two elite variants) we ended up with in Bioshock.

73. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 17, 2008, 02:12 Creston

You just chose to use the same thing over and over, when you could have mixed things up and done things differently.

True, but that's always a tricky standard to apply. When Jedi Outcast came out, we had a huge discussion here on whether the lightsaber combat was awesome or broken.

The awesome camp said it was awesome because you can have really solid lightsaber battles in the game. The broken camp said it was broken because diagonally strafing while slashing would kill every single lightsaber opponent in the game, up to and including the final boss (whose name escapes me right now.)

So which group was right?

I didn't actually use the Big Daddy tactic throughout the entire game, simply because it was a bit of a chore to sometimes get a Big Daddy all the way to where I needed him. But it was sort of in the back of my mind that if I got stuck that I COULD use it just to get through.

So sure, maybe I and others CHOOSE to do the same thing over and over. Then again, the game never forces or encourages you to switch up your tactics either. For all the talk on how awesome and different each fight with a Big Daddy would be, in the end you'd just use whatever works best. Be that exploding buckshot or electric gel once you finally had it.

There was no incentive or requirement to alter your tactics with any of the Big Daddies.

The fact that there were only 2 Big Daddy models to begin with, and they were each repeated 20 or so times was pretty disappointing as well. Would it really have killed them to make a new Big Daddy model for every level and alter the way it fights / is susceptible to its environment?

I feel there was little testing done to try and balance the plasmids. Some were horrendously overpowered, and others were utterly fucking useless.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2008, 02:14.

72. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 17, 2008, 01:59 Jerykk

Anyone else noticing that everyone else played the game completely differently?

The problem is that there are very few effective ways to play the game. As mentioned earlier, most of the plasmids are pretty useless while others are too effective. I primarily used Telekinesis, as Freeze, Electrocute and Incinerate were simply too cheap and made me feel guilty. I also hacked everything, since there's no logical reason not to.

This is where stats would have made a huge difference. The player would have had to make meaningful choices, resulting in a wider range of effective, specialized play styles.

71. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 16, 2008, 23:54 Krovven

Use Eve hypo. When it's done, charm a new one, use Eve Hypo. Oh, I'm running low on Hypos. Charm Big Daddy, find another Big Daddy. Shoot other Big Daddy. Watch 2 Big Daddies almost kill each other. One dies. Shoot the other twice and he dies too. Loot 180 dollars and buy 7 new hypos.

Anyone else noticing that everyone else played the game completely differently? You all may have found it really easy to use certain combos repeatedly for success, but it was entirely up to you on what skills you used. You just chose to use the same thing over and over, when you could have mixed things up and done things differently.

Me personally I didn't use the Charm Big Daddy at all. Next time I play I might. Another time I might try going heavy on hacking and use the mechanical stuff to my advantage. I also plan on playing it using mostly the telekinesis plasmid and wrench, but on the highest difficulty.

70. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 16, 2008, 23:53 Jerykk

Once you get that the entire game becomes a joke. Charm Big Daddy, let it kill all monsters in 0.02 seconds.

Use Eve hypo. When it's done, charm a new one, use Eve Hypo. Oh, I'm running low on Hypos. Charm Big Daddy, find another Big Daddy. Shoot other Big Daddy. Watch 2 Big Daddies almost kill each other. One dies. Shoot the other twice and he dies too. Loot 180 dollars and buy 7 new hypos.

Heh, yeah, Charm Big Daddy was pretty unbalanced.

69. Re: Bioshock makes the panties drop. Oct 16, 2008, 23:31 Creston

And they weren't implemented in a remotely positive manner. 90% of them were completely useless (security bullseye, are you kidding?), and lightning bolt (which they ironically gave you first) was the only one with any *real* utility.

I will see your lightning bolt and raise you a "Charm Big Daddy."

Once you get that the entire game becomes a joke. Charm Big Daddy, let it kill all monsters in 0.02 seconds.

Still, I enjoyed Bioshock, the story was good as was the way it was told. Combat on Hard was challenging enough to be fun. I'm not exactly thrilled about it being a prequel, but oh well.

Creston

68. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 23:24 Jerykk

2 year sequels is milking it, espicially since 2K marin JUST finished the PS3 port and a year from now they're expected to deliver Bioshock 2.

It doesn't take a large team to do a port and big developers have multiple teams working on multiple projects at any given time. It's very likely that 2K Marin had a small team working on the PS3 Bioshock port and a big team working on Bioshock 2.

67. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 22:40 Yifes

yup, quite a drastic change in definition.

Nope, didn't make any changes in definition. 2 year sequels is milking it, espicially since 2K marin JUST finished the PS3 port and a year from now they're expected to deliver Bioshock 2. Frequent sequels, such as the splinter cell series or the call of duty series at least have multiple studios developing said sequels simultaneously.

That's quite the over-reaching judgments you've made on something we know so little about. I think I'll wait and play the game before I judge it.

A prediction is not the same as a judgement. Like I said, I don't expect it to be great, but I hope that I'm wrong.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 22:52.

66. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 22:32 Krovven

yup, quite a drastic change in definition.

That's quite the over-reaching judgments you've made on something we know so little about. I think I'll wait and play the game before I judge it.

65. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 22:23 Yifes

a) The Bioshock 2 team is made up of both members from 2K Boston and 2K Australia, both of which worked on the PC and 360 versions.

b) How can it be milking a franchise for all it's worth when they have only released 1 game, no expansions or paid for DLC and the sequel is going to be at least 2 years after the first game?

Milking may not be an appropriate word, but making bioshock a trilogy is a business move; Bioshock wasn't exactly designed with sequels in mind, evident by the fact that the story in Bioshock wraps up pretty neatly and ken levine and 2K Boston have already moved on from the franchise.

Plus, it takes more than 2 years to develop a proper sequel (bioshock 2 is due before holidays 2009), and what 2K is doing is basically producing glorified expansion packs. Sure this is common practice for console games, such as rockstar's own GTAIII/vice city/san andreas or Epic's Gears 2, but exploitation of such shallow franchises is expected.

Bioshock, however, is a great game, and deserves a proper sequel, not merely an extension on gameplay. Given that 2K marin's track record consists solely of a PS3 port, and they have only 2 years to hammer out a sequel, I expect Bioshock 2 to be nothing more than a pale imitation of the original. I hope that I'm wrong.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 22:25.

64. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 21:46 nin

considering that they're being developed by a totally different studio

In name only. It's the same people, only w/ less Levine...they chose to move and setup the new studio, Levine chose to stay behind and work on *cough*XCOM!*cough*...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

63. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 20:07 sponge

b) How can it be milking a franchise for all it's worth when they have only released 1 game, no expansions or paid for DLC and the sequel is going to be at least 2 years after the first game?

You missed the memo where they changed the definition of milking from "releasing early and releasing often" to "I DON'T LIKE THEIR DECISION"

62. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 20:02 Buckle Down

Looking forward to this one.

61. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 18:59 dryden555

Have truly zero interest in this after the underwhelming Bioshock

60. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:53 Krovven

considering that they're being developed by a totally different studio and 2K is milking the franchise for all it's worth.

a) The Bioshock 2 team is made up of both members from 2K Boston and 2K Australia, both of which worked on the PC and 360 versions.

59. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:45 Yifes

*deleted*

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 17:47.

58. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:29 Yifes

Bioshock was a fantastic game. Not much faith in the sequels though, considering that they're being developed by a totally different studio and 2K is milking the franchise for all it's worth.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 17:31.

57. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:03 CJ_Parker

Some of us have kids, jobs and lives. We don't want to replay the same battle multiple times. No one forced you to use Vita-Chambers, it was an optional thing. Your death still had it's "meaning" and I still got to use my Vita-Chambers because I want to play the game a few times, not twenty. More choice = good, less choice = bad.

Exactly. In Bioshock I always reloaded my last quick save when I died but the existence of vita chambers didn't bother me at all. Why would it anyway? This is one of those typical elitist asshole issues where the elitist assholes want to enforce their elitist asshole view on games on us non-elitist non-assholes.

56. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 16:09 Jerykk

That and a little more "involvement" in the story. I really only felt like I had any impact on events whenever I freed a little sister.

Spoilers: Well, that was kinda the big twist in the story: You were just a pawn and never really had any choice to begin with.

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo