Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 13:57 Dades

People say DRM doesn't matter to pirates but DRM doesn't matter to me because like pirates, it doesn't affect me at all. I have yet to see DRM cause any problems on my system and could frankly care less about "security risks" when Windows itself has enough holes to be confused with swiss cheese. Some people are posting about this like they're losing the right to breath or something, jesus some of you need to get outside or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 13:44 JayDeath

Maybe from the No Shit dept. but still a well written article. Pretty much sums up the current situation for PC gamers who are willing to spend their money. I haven't bought 4 titles this year because of this crap. I will not give in to the DRM!

Steam: Henry Krinkle

19. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 13:09 beigemore

I really want to purchase Dead Space, but I'm not going to give a company money if they're going to treat a legitimate customer that way. I didn't buy Bioshock until it was $20 because of that. There's no way I'm dropping $50-60, especially in this economy, on a game rental.

18. Re: DRM Oct 16, 2008, 10:13 InBlack

The only 2) problems with DRM that I have is that:

1st: It eats up system resources that could be better used for playing said game

2nd: It allowes a backdoor entry to my system. It doesnt matter that EA or whatever probably wont take advantage of it but fuckit who the fuck in their right mind would want a rootkit in their system. Even a benevolent rootkit.

There is of course the big problem of DRM bugging up my PC and effectively not allowing me to play the game I purchased, that has however not happened to me, YET.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 10:13.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. DRM Oct 16, 2008, 09:50 Ozmodan

I have to disagree that spore's audience is unaware or does not care. I have already destinstalled a bunch of spore games. I am actively encouraging people to take the game back and get a refund. The DRM in use by EA is a virus, it should be illegal to install it period. I will continue advocating this for all games that install this SecurRom software.

I let managers at several Best Buy stores know the other day, I have already got the better business bureau involved. I will continue to make EA's name mud as long as it continues to be so draconian. Nothing worse than a clueless CEO.

16. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 09:22 Dades

You just violated Internet Forum Rule #31 - never bring Hitler/Nazis into anything if you expect to be taken seriously

15. ... Oct 16, 2008, 09:20 theyarecomingforyou

I hate the DRM crap too but to be honest it never really interferes with my gaming, so until it does then I'll just tolerate it.
Yeah, and people ignored Hitler too... until he invaded motherfucking Poland!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

14. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 09:16 Bard

I don't walk through stores and hear people talking about the DRM

I do... and amongst my gamer friends the DRM scheme is the next thing we discuss after finding out about it.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 09:17.

13. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 09:16 Bard

I won't be buying anything with DRM.

Here in Canada most forms of DRM on software are currently illegal. We are allowed to "Create a FULLY FUNCTIONAL backup of software purchased".

Until my consumer rights are guaranteed I won't purchase DRM protected software products.

12. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 08:45 Dades

The people complaining and boycotting aren't pirates, they aren't ill-informed, and the company is losing money by not listening to them.

I don't walk through stores and hear people talking about the DRM, I hear them talking about the graphics and price. No one except the tech savvy care about DRM and there just aren't enough of us for it to really matter man. For people to really care they'd need half a clue about what DRM is in the first place and for the general public that's a pretty daunting task of education on a subject most could care less about.

I hate the DRM crap too but to be honest it never really interferes with my gaming, so until it does then I'll just tolerate it. Too many cool games out and I don't want to be a pirate, then you're just part of the problem instead of the solution.

11. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 07:51 Jackal

Oh shoot, I forgot about Red Alert 3's DRM. Woops, looks like im skipping 2 games now.

Mirror's edge (short singleplayer game you can pirate anyway)

and Red alert 3.

I had a distaste for REd alert 3 since multiplayer beta. all the units were like toys (the model, the design), it felt horribly unrealistic, the videos did not fit the game, and the multiplayer resource gathering mechanic was HORRIBLE.

10. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 07:43 nin

The people complaining and boycotting aren't pirates, they aren't ill-informed, and the company is losing money by not listening to them.

Ding!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 07:11 Armengar

The problem with the "ignorant" crowd is going to be when they have hardware failures or softwarae failures. Dell's frontline approach to software is a reblast of the image. Do that a couple of times and hey presto! your copy is zapped because you didnt uninstall it properly (on an unstable system). You then need to argue with someone on a phone to get your activations reset.

Maybe in a years time the mob will have these problems. It is only the tech savvy who can see where it is going. Personally i'll not buy draconian DRM titles. There are plenty of other games out there that can use my money instead.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

8. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 04:17 Kxmode

EA's DRM, arrogance may cause gamers to skip good titles

QFMFT!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

7. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 03:40 InBlack

We need more articles like this to get the ball rolling....

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 03:13 PHJF

EA would have to put out a good game in the first place.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 02:23 Jerykk

For a game like Spore, DRM is completely irrelevant because the target audience is completely ignorant of it. Even if they did know and understand it, they'd likely be completely complacent about it. For more hardcore games like Red Alert 3 or Mirrors Edge, the audience is more savvy and passionate. Unfortunately, EA can always count on the console kiddies to eat up whatever they put out so PC gamers are screwed either way.

4. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 01:42 sponge

cost them a lot of sales

Source? After all, if people are going to say that piracy doesn't cause lost sales, then DRM should be put up to that same scrutiny. Despite 3,173 reviews on Amazon, the game is still a million seller.

3. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 00:42 Darks

Ive already passed on 3 oif their newest tiles and will keep on doing so until they wake the fuck up and realizze its their stupid lame mistakes that cost them a lot of sales.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

2. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 00:17 Longswd

Heh, we won't skip them, we just won't pay for them. Draconian DRM is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo