Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Steam Preorders

Steam News has word that Steam preorders are being accepted for Left 4 Dead, the multiplayer zombie shooter, which is due for release next month. There are no physical preorder incentives, but they are offering a discount: "Like the pre-purchase promotions happening at retail for the PC and Xbox 360 versions, those who pre-purchase via Steam will save 10% off the regular price."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 13:34 DG

I think we should be grateful for the prices we get. The consoles have to pay more than we do for a new game, and 50$ has been standard fare for as long as I can remember (with a few exceptions of course). Don't forget that pc game prices could easily be more by now because of inflation, but they're not.
the difference in console game prices is mostly made up of the royalty paid to the console maker, FWIW. Since the console itself is subsidised (except Wii, apparently) with a view to those royalties, I expect there's not much difference unless you buy so many.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. L4D price Oct 16, 2008, 13:29 Nate

I look at game prices as a dollar per hours of enjoyment thing.

How many hours are you going to be playing L4D? Compare that to movie ticket, DVD purchase or rental prices.

L4D should be good for hundreds of hours of fun!

33. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 13:06 Dades

Let's be friends! Hug!

Cheers!

I think we should be grateful for the prices we get. The consoles have to pay more than we do for a new game, and 50$ has been standard fare for as long as I can remember (with a few exceptions of course). Don't forget that pc game prices could easily be more by now because of inflation, but they're not.

Yeah, people are just spoiled by all of the indy titles having small prices. I've been buying PC games at $59.95 bare minimum for the past 5 years, they were actually more expensive before that too. So I'm quite happy with the falling prices. Product prices usually go up due to inflation, not down. People should be dancing in the streets instead of complaining.

32. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 12:56 Mead

I don't generally like paying more than $30 for any game either, but ... zombie co-op, man. I can stretch a little for that.

31. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 12:54 xXBatmanXx

Not very impressed with the vids - going to wait for a demo or 50% off.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 12:49 Coolone

29. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 12:41 Overon

I didn't misunderstand, everyone wants stuff for cheaper
Let's be friends! Hug!

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 12:42.

28. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 12:14 Fion

Mind TF2 didn't have remotely as much content. Half a dozen maps, all the classes, and thats all it needed.

LFD has an entire single player/co-op storyline as well as the humans vs zombies multiplayer. TF2 was pretty bare bones at release, though so good it didn't matter. LFD has a lot more to it. So it's got a 'full game' price.

And FYI according to Valve the non-steam preorders of LFD are already twice that of the Orange Box. So I'm sure it'll do very well.

27. ... Oct 16, 2008, 11:37 theyarecomingforyou

TF2 was an exceptional product, for an established brand and at an incredible price. L4D may well be just as good a game but it's a new IP and the cost is significantly more. Valve make, imo, the best multiplayer games on the market - hands down. However, at this price I imagine there will be a lot less players than TF2 and we have no idea how it will be supported in the future (hopefully like TF2, though even I wasn't expecting as much as Valve has done and is planning for it).

TF2 was an absolute bargain. L4D, however, seems a bit pricey. Afterall, The Orange Box included Ep2/Portal/TF2 (plus older games) for the same price and appealed to me much more.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 10:00 Dades

I didn't misunderstand, everyone wants stuff for cheaper. In this case Valve is charging what they think is fair for the work that went into the product. If the price is really a problem then it won't sell as expected and force them to re-evaluate for future games. I don't really see the problem, it's a well polished professional product with a lot of replay value. We used to pay more for those games on the PC if anything, not sure why everyone suddenly thinks these games should be $20 or $30 just because you don't get a manual.

25. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 09:53 Overon

Well don't buy it I guess. There's a singleplayer campaign that can be played co-op with friends or the AI. The content in the game justifies the price. You can just play the demo yourself in November and judge. Valve is great about adding ongoing content too, TF2/Orange Box was the most underpriced title of last year.
You misunderstand. I am a big fan of valve and agree with your points about their support and added content and I will buy it because it's coop. I love coop with friends. I just wish it cost less.

24. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 09:35 Dades

Well don't buy it I guess. There's a singleplayer campaign that can be played co-op with friends or the AI. The content in the game justifies the price. You can just play the demo yourself in November and judge. Valve is great about adding ongoing content too, TF2/Orange Box was the most underpriced title of last year.

23. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 09:31 Overon

This price seems a bit high for a mp centered game. And it's digitally distributed so why does it cost as much as in retail?

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 09:40.

22. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 08:46 Dades

Valve games don't have any DRM beyond the Steam mechanisms for unlocking/unencrypting the title after purchase. You are of course limited to playing the game through Steam but that's nothing new.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 08:47.

21. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 08:42 JayDeath

Not to get off topic but does anyone know if this one is gonna have more DRM nonsense? I really want this game bad but I will not buy if I gotta deal with that bullshit again. That would make 4 titles I did not buy because of a DRM.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

20. No subject Oct 16, 2008, 08:25 Dades

Price seems fine to me, preordered and can't wait for the preload soon. I played this game at PAX and it was outstanding, worth every penny and the user community will keep it going for years.

19. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 08:22 Jackplug

Wicked game and as usual it will be brilliant gameplay,
pre ordered without a doubt!!

I would wait a few weeks and it will be $30 somewhere!!

18. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 00:50 Jerykk

The price really seems a bit high. They should sell it for $30.

17. ... Oct 16, 2008, 00:16 theyarecomingforyou

Ouch. I was hoping it would be $40 with a 10% discount. It seems a bit steep in comparison to Team Fortress 2 and that was a game I was much more looking forward to. I'm still very tempted, though I might wait until the demo is released before making a decision.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: max of 4 players? Oct 15, 2008, 23:57 Krovven

It is 8 players, 4 Survivors, 4 Zombie bosses and the horde of Director controlled Zombies.

You can play by yourself with bots.

----------------------------------------------------
LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

NoDRM- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nodrm/
Blues News- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 23:58.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo