Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up

DRM is official on the Far Cry 2 Forums is a post by a user reporting that a conversation with a Ubisoft representative about DRM in Far Cry 2, and a subsequent post by a Ubi Forum Manager confirms the use of the SecuROM DRM indicated on the French Ubisoft Shop yesterday (story). On a semi-related note, Riccitiello Says DRM a Minority Controversy has comments from the EA CEO saying he feels that Digital Rights management only represents an issue for 0.2% of their users: "We're still working out the kinks. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other .2 percent, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it." Ubisoft has not answered our mails on the topic, but here is the forum post on the Far Cry 2 DRM:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

51. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 12:59 Tumbler

On the flip side of that coin he didn't even hint at mentioning that their beloved DRM does nothing to even inhibit piracy. In fact for most of these DRM-heavy games it's easier to pirate and play the game (often before it even officially releases,) then purchase, install and play with zero issues.

This is an important reality for people to recognize. DRM is not affecting piracy. It's affecting users who buy the game legitimately. This limits their use. Nothing to do with piracy. It limits the use of software by paying customers.

Why?

Because paying customers are likely to pay more money rather than try to find a way around those limitations. (at least that is what I assume their position is)

So you guys out there that liked loaning your game to friends, or reselling the games to other people, you're that objective here. And I fall into that group because I love buying 2nd hand software. And people who share a single copy among several people and use a CD crack I suppose you're going to be affected to.

Frankly I think it's absurd to be trying to monitor how every person uses the software and try to thwart people using it in a way you don't endorse, but that is their choice. Americans deserve to have their privacy respected, and going on this witch hunt will hopefully send their PC sales crashing to all time lows.

We need to stop buying these games people. I know you love PC gaming, but you are hurting it by buying these games. Stop. Completely. No more game purchases that have any limit to installs. Rent the same game on the console, or just find another game to play. You need to realize that this isn't an isolated incident. They aren't just accidentally crossing this line. This is a clear attack on your privacy, they are trying to force you to play by their rules and they are threatening to not let you play the game you purchased if you do not cooperate.

Pirates don't have to deal with any of this. Nadda. Zip. Zilch. This is only paying customers these things affect. So ask yourself why you'd want to put this on your paying customers?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 12:49 Paketep

This was specially funny:

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

Sure, Ubi is the industry's shining beacon of customer support. Buying a game from Ubi is like playing Russian Roulette, specially when they decide to use these kind of DRM schemes.

Not buying, thank you.

49. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 12:47 Krovven

Reposting this from a thread last night as it got bumped by todays news post in a hurry.
To start...it really sucks having to think about all this crap just to play games.

Was just talking with "theyarecomingforyou" wondering what exactly the 5 activations over 3 systems means exactly. Hope there are no problems with revokes when uninstalling, make sure you are connected to the net when you do it. Better question is why the fuck do legit customers even have to thinking about this and worry about this?

It's not even the casual customers that have to worry about it, because they will more than likely play a game once (probably not even finish it) and never look at it again. But the gamers that spend hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on games and hardware, go back and replay games, switch hardware and operating systems somewhat regularly are the ones that have to worry if their game will still be installable the next time they format.

--------

I just canceled my pre-order on Steam. If in the next week it comes to light that the Steam version will not have DRM, I'll re-purchase, even if it's full price.

Gonna do more thinking on this...but seeing as limited activations seems to be the way things are going I may just have to buy games with limited activation DRM at retail, so that I can prove I own the product more easily. I say this because I had to take a picture of the product for EA support with Battlefield Vietnam when my launch day purchased serial # was already hijacked. A friend had to do the same thing with Steam support when his Steam account was hijacked. They wanted photo proof of a retail product that was first put on the service. They don't want to see digital docs showing your purchase...they want to see a physical product.

And with all this crap going on...I'll be downloading a pirated copy of every game I buy, digital or retail just to make sure I don't get fucked over in the future.

----------------------------------------------------
LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

NoDRM group on Steam- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nodrm/

48. Re: Jeez, what's the big deal Oct 15, 2008, 12:47 peteham

But 99% of people claiming they will 'cancel their pre-order' never pre-ordered the game.
I'm in the 1% and 0.2%. I'm special!

All in a day's work.

47. Re: Jeez, what's the big deal Oct 15, 2008, 12:45  cliffski 

Well said. I don't use DRM any more, but when I did, I never had a single complaint. Ever.
99% of users have no problems with DRM. the 1% who do are very vocal.
The flipside is that DRM doesn't work, and you should give customers what they want. But 99% of people claiming they will 'cancel their pre-order' never pre-ordered the game. It just sounds good

http://www.positech.co.uk

46. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 12:43  cliffski 

if you torrent it, you make their point, not yours. You just prove that piracy is a problem on the PC. If you want to make a stand against DRM, that's fine, but don't pirate the game, that undermines your point.  
http://www.positech.co.uk

45. Jeez, what's the big deal Oct 15, 2008, 12:42 Madguy

Yeah, DRM is retarded and doesn't stop piracy. But seriously, in the timespan that you guys are actively playing this game, what's the probability that you'll actually install it 5 times on 3 machines? They'll likely end up removing or alleviating the DRM after 6 months anyway. And in the unlikely event that your copy is made worthless.. well, you're resourceful folks, go pirate a copy.

Sure you could scream 'boycott' and vote with your dollars, but you won't make a dent in the game's sales. It's a mainstream title with a big ad campaign. The reality is, DRM is unlikely to affect you at all, and if you want to miss out on a great gaming experience, go for it if it'll make you feel like you're taking a stand against The Man. Your loss.
This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 12:43.

44. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 12:41 Bluesfanboi

Well, since the EA CEO says I shouldn't be concerned about DRM, by golly you betcha I won't be concerned about it.

I hope he's not too concerned about me not buying it.

My 0.2% cents.

43. Remember folks Oct 15, 2008, 12:36 Wildone

this only affects the pirates. People bitching about it prob weren't gonna buy it anyway. I have had to live with this system for another game 'Lock on:Flaming Cliffs' I have run out of activations many times and a simple email rectified the problem.

42. Re: Well, so much for Far Cry 2... Oct 15, 2008, 12:30 SirKnight

I'm pretty sure RA3 has it.

41. Re: Well, so much for Far Cry 2... Oct 15, 2008, 12:24 peteham

Does Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3 use it? Because those are the other two I planned on buying this month.
Can't speak for RA3, but rumour has it FO3 will only use a simple CD-check.

40. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 12:04 Fion

He's probably right that a low percentage of users have an issue with DRM, but the .2% is way off the mark, especially when this DRM is most commonly used in enthusiast PC games like.. Far Cry 2. Far more enthusiasts care about this stuff, but I do agree that it's still a significantly smaller percentage then we think.

On the flip side of that coin he didn't even hint at mentioning that their beloved DRM does nothing to even inhibit piracy. In fact for most of these DRM-heavy games it's easier to pirate and play the game (often before it even officially releases,) then purchase, install and play with zero issues.

So it stands to reason that even if DRM only affects a small percentage of purchasers, that's still xx percent more then it should, because pirating is simple, easy and never has any install or play issues.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 12:07.

39. ... Oct 15, 2008, 11:56 theyarecomingforyou

Does Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3 use it? Because those are the other two I planned on buying this month.
Fallout 3 definitely doesn't and Red Alert 3 definitely does.

Now it's possible that this is because I have a non-retail key that I received by going to a Microsoft Expo, but I'm not sure.
Nah, I've had a similar thing - however, on another occasion I did have to phone up (and for the next few installs). Repeating mind-numbingly long numbers to a foreign operator wasn't exactly a highlight of my life.

Why can't developers stop using DRM activations? And if they do use them they should at least announce they plan to remove them after a year or whatever. I'd rather they gave another option for those that want it, like a hardware dongle you could use instead - anything that makes me confident I'm not going to lose access to a game I've paid for.

Let me say again... what's the point if it has no effect on piracy?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:53 Ecthelion

One day we'll discuss something other than DRM and piracy on BluesNews.....one day.
It's not that important to me, actually. I'm much more interested in the game itself than the DRM it uses. The reason I don't have the game preordered is because I'm not sure how good it will be.

With X3:TC to keep me busy for a long time, I probably wouldn't be able to play this until it's in the budget bin anyway... if it's cheap, I won't care much about being able to reinstall the game.

37. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:52 MMORPGHoD

I can't remember the last time I pre-ordered anything. I think I went to a store for WoW on launch. All my purchases now are deals on gogamer.com and by the time it's discounted the first round of bugs are fixed too. DRM, meh. I played Bioshock, actived, played, uninstalled, shelved forver. Aside from bargains, I don't plan on making many PC game purchases in the future. DRM is just an annoyance and part of a larger picture of growing PC gaming indifference. Maybe it's me or just being jaded, but the games aren't the same anymore. It's getting easier and easier to wait for a bargain or avoid the game altogether. Boycotting is a noble sentiment, but it's not likely to change much. The trend has already begun where the big publishers aren't even bothering to port to the PC and that's all I think a successful boycott would accomplish. It'll be more games like ones from Stardock and maybe that is a good thing.

36. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:50 Jackplug

consider this, ive just cancelled my pre-order, I refuse to have that
shit on my system and i like to own the copy not rent it!

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 11:54.

35. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:49 Verno

One day we'll discuss something other than DRM and piracy on BluesNews.....one day.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

34. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 11:48 Ecthelion

Also your Win XP comparison is seriously lacking. I can tell you from first hand experience that Win XP is very lenient. A little while ago (and that was actually after a few minor upgrades involving RAM and the video card several times(!)) I went for a major upgrade and got a new mainboard, CPU, graphics card and a hard disk and now guess what. Even though I fully expected XP to demand manual activation by calling in I did not have to but it let me activate my copy by the click of a button as usual. Easy. Simple. Hasslefree. Awesome.
Vista appears to be just as lenient. I did a major upgrade like you (although I kept my hard drive), and I only needed to do a normal online activation (like you). I used the same Vista Ultimate key that I had before the upgrade, and I didn't need to manually activate it.

Now it's possible that this is because I have a non-retail key that I received by going to a Microsoft Expo, but I'm not sure.

33. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:46 TERATOGEN

Canceling pre-order....  
- Uncle Tera

32. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 11:42 CJ_Parker

Or a windows crash because im a tinkerer...

If you manage to crash any Windows version beyond XP SP2 then you're not a "tinkerer" but more like a full blown retard of the most epic proportions. Honestly.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo