Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up

DRM is official on the Far Cry 2 Forums is a post by a user reporting that a conversation with a Ubisoft representative about DRM in Far Cry 2, and a subsequent post by a Ubi Forum Manager confirms the use of the SecuROM DRM indicated on the French Ubisoft Shop yesterday (story). On a semi-related note, Riccitiello Says DRM a Minority Controversy has comments from the EA CEO saying he feels that Digital Rights management only represents an issue for 0.2% of their users: "We're still working out the kinks. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other .2 percent, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it." Ubisoft has not answered our mails on the topic, but here is the forum post on the Far Cry 2 DRM:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

71. ... Oct 15, 2008, 15:51 theyarecomingforyou

Anything that gets launched across consoles at the same time it's coming to PC's can be barely more than a port.
So The Orange Box is a port, hey? The reality is that the situation isn't black or white but a sliding scale. I don't think Bioshock suffered for being released on consoles, though that's not to say considerations weren't made to appeal to both audiences - the aspects that people criticise (lack of inventory, less RPG elements) were design decisions, not console considerations. The core concept was a strong story, theme and the plasmids, all of which were well executed. I've said it before but Crysis was a PC exclusive game that had decisions people would typically associate with consoles (regenerating health, a clumsy suit mode selector, etc). Developers seem to be responding to a change in the PC userbase rather than making considerations for consoles. There is a trend towards more casual gameplay.

I'd like to live in a perfect world where we could all boycott a game and developers would immediately stop using DRM activations. Unfortunately things are far less clear and I like gaming, especially the look of Far Cry 2 as it seems to be very progressive for the genre. I'm well aware that, like politics, every individual lost makes a difference but that doesn't change my decision to keep my pre-order.

The Witcher is past a million sales and still going strong, even though it has just a simple CD check.
Actually, the original version of The Witcher has Tages. The only example of a mere CD-check (no DRM) on a big title in recent history was Oblivion, and possibly the upcoming Fallout 3 (certainly they've said they're not using the current DRM activations).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:48 Jackplug

Im just hoping that GTA IV doesnt go the same way!

69. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:46 Fausticle

The Witcher is past a million sales and still going strong, even though it has just a simple CD check.

The Witcher used TAGES which has notoriously unstable drivers. That is FAR from a simple CD check.

68. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:38 Prez

Verno, just because it's a non-issue to you does not belittle the importance of the issue in my opinion.

I don't agree with your assumption that no DRM means no PC games. I really don't think the pubs would abandon support for PC; at worst they would do away with PC exclusives (which would still suck.) There's easy money to be made with a relatively simple port job to the PC. And the exclusives area isn't as bleak as they make it out to be. Spore was heavily pirated but sold very well. Crysis was heavily pirated but made Crytek lots of money. Sins of a Solar Empire is selling better than any niche game I've ever seen, making Stardock tons of money, and yet is has no DRM whatsoever. The Witcher is past a million sales and still going strong, even though it has just a simple CD check. Far Cry will be heavily pirated but will sell a boatload, making Ubisoft tons of money.

Eventually, I think publishers will go away, because services like Steam, Impulse, and Digital Distribution will eliminated the need for them. (Venture capital would still have to come from somewhere; I expect it would be via sponsors. It's definitely a good thing that the laughably ridiculous 10 million dollar budgets will go away...) It is my belief that most developers, once free of the influence of the clueless corporations, would use the common sense approach to DRM (see Stardock) and just get rid of it.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 15:43.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

67. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:37 D4rkKnight

And of course with a single replaced file that will show up less then 24 hours after the game hits retail, your DRM will be defeated, and the people who use this file will be rewarded for their "piracy" by never having to deal with this kind of crap, AND no cd-checks.

66. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:33 Krovven

Many of these publishers would rather just end their support for the PC platform instead of getting rid of DRM altogether.

You are so full of shit Verno it's not funny. Where do you get the idea that the publishers want to walk away from millions of dollars in revenue?

EA even stated that the PC was their most profitable platform, with financial results to back it up.

Far Cry 2 was developed first for PC, with 360 and PS3 beginning farther along in development.

You don't have a problem with this form of DRM, we get it. But in the last week you've begun insulting those that do want to make a stand against it, and now you are starting to spread lies and bullshit that have no actual basis of fact.

----------------------------------------------------
LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

NoDRM group on Steam- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nodrm/

65. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:31 Fausticle

And DRM would change this how......? Are you trying to defend DRM because it's either deal with this or no one pays for anything? They don't seem to related in my book.

I'm not defending DRM. What I'm saying piracy is so rampant in these markets, releasing a single player game there is pointless (financially speaking). In order to make any money developers think about how to wrap the game around a payment system then they create the game.

Here they still make the single player game and then staple some kind of protection onto it at the end. DRM is only really present when there is no client/server model present(WoW and Guild Wars)to force some kind of authentication.

64. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:30 Paketep

Many of these publishers would rather just end their support for the PC platform instead of getting rid of DRM altogether.

Which shows how stupid they are. They would probably sell more, plus they'd save the money paid to SecuROM for protecting their games alienating their customers.

Of course, DRM is not something that tries to thwart pirates. They're just trying to avoid used game sales. Just look at what Epic wants to pull now with the unique, one-time-use code that can be used only once after purchasing GoW2.

The pity is that Riccitiello doesn't have the balls to say it out loud, so he just gives us a pile of bullshit: just read the rest of the interview, how wonderful it is to work at EA (remember EA wife?), how they only were trying to help Take 2, how Metacritic now defines policy there somehow, etc... It would be pathetic if we weren't already speaking about EA.

So I'm happy people boycotting are a minority because otherwise I'd miss out on some really cool games. I'll leave the politics to those who care. I get enough drama and politics at work/home without needing it in my favorite hobby.

That's not what your constant posting about the matter looks like. Not that I disapprove.

Not so many cool games with all the consolized crap around, though.

63. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:26 Ginny

"And with all this crap going on...I'll be downloading a pirated copy of every game I buy, digital or retail just to make sure I don't get fucked over in the future"

Same here, the ammount of games iv'e bought over the last 10-11 years i still install and play count to more than a few.

Sad times indeed:(

62. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:14 Verno

Many of these publishers would rather just end their support for the PC platform instead of getting rid of DRM altogether. So I'm happy people boycotting are a minority because otherwise I'd miss out on some really cool games. I'll leave the politics to those who care. I get enough drama and politics at work/home without needing it in my favorite hobby.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

61. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 15:14 Tumbler

Look at the market in China and Korea, piracy is so rife the the ONLY games that make money there are games that you have to pay to play. It's so bad there that they don't even bother selling the box on the shelf, just a code on a website.

And DRM would change this how......? Are you trying to defend DRM because it's either deal with this or no one pays for anything? They don't seem to related in my book.

I hate DRM as much as the next guy but at this point a lot of developers are asking themselves "Why should we make games for the PC when we can make more money on console games?"

And developers are CLEARLY not asking this question, they have already answered the question and radically shifted their business goals. There are more AAA titles that are console games hiding in a PC Game box than there are actual PC games. Anything that gets launched across consoles at the same time it's coming to PC's can be barely more than a port.

You're playing console games right now, like it or not. Many developers have stopped making anything that is designed to take advantage of the PC. They are making games for the console crowd, and tossing us a version as well.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

60. Yes but remember.. Oct 15, 2008, 14:35 Acleacius

Even if 100% of us in Blue's and any other forums across the world, refuse to buy FC2 becasue of drm, we all are still just .2% of the potential game buyer's. Its a good thing for Ubi, imagine if we represented a higher more dangerous percentage that could effect their bottom line, I bet their shareholders would be really pissed.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

59. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 14:33 SirKnight

lol, I just got my email from valve about my pre-order refund as well.

I bet they're seeing a lot of cancellation requests today.

58. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 14:25 Omni

and i was thinking of buying this... some things never change.

Its pathetic they still spend time on DRM and shit like that when its cracked sooner or later. It beats me what world they are living in but whatever.

57. ... Oct 15, 2008, 14:12 theyarecomingforyou

There is a lot of things I should be protesting:

1. global warming
2. the Iraq war
3. nipple rings
Yeah, tell me about it. It's easier to get people together for a flash mob pillow fight than it is to protest against something serious like the Iraq war or increasing detention for terrorists to 90 days (UK issue). That's not to diminish the significance of the DRM issue (which is serious and does concern me) but to highlight that more significant issues get less attention / action. At the end of the day it's simply easier to not buy a game / cancel a pre-order than to organise a protest or get people to vote against a corrupt / incompetent government.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

56. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 14:04 Prez

I'll believe Ubisoft is committed to the support of their games when they finally put out a patch that makes Double Agent playable.

Amen to that.

And with all this crap going on...I'll be downloading a pirated copy of every game I buy, digital or retail just to make sure I don't get fucked over in the future.

That's what I do. I call it an insurance policy.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 14:08.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 13:45 Fausticle

I hate DRM as much as the next guy but at this point a lot of developers are asking themselves "Why should we make games for the PC when we can make more money on console games?"

There is a lot of things I should be protesting:

1. global warming
2. the Iraq war
3. nipple rings

But frankly I'm too lazy to do it. I see a day when every legitimate user will not be able to play a game without logging onto a server for authentication in some way.

Look at the market in China and Korea, piracy is so rife the the ONLY games that make money there are games that you have to pay to play. It's so bad there that they don't even bother selling the box on the shelf, just a code on a website.

Show me any hobby and I'll show you a pastime where monetization has slipped into EVERY aspect. Remember fishing? Once you could go out on a wharf with a line tied to a stick and catch a fish....but now its a $1000 commitment.

It's sad that our hobby is changing for the worse, but it feels like were just a bunch of angry old men shaking our fists at a brick wall.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 13:47.

54. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 13:33 Killdozer

I'll believe Ubisoft is committed to the support of their games when they finally put out a patch that makes Double Agent playable.

The shitty DRM is definitely a reason not to buy this game, but Ubisoft's history of releasing buggy console ports is the primary thing keeping me away.

53. Re: Jeez, what's the big deal Oct 15, 2008, 13:20 Krovven

Valve Corp. has issued you a full or partial refund for your payment.

Done. Just got the email.

Still deciding if I will buy this retail or not as this and Left 4 Dead were the 2 games that were at the top of my wanted list for this year. I will not support limited activation on Steam.

LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

52. Re: Jeez, what's the big deal Oct 15, 2008, 13:10 Krovven

but when I did, I never had a single complaint. Ever.

No offense, but your client base is slightly smaller than that of Far Cry 2. I don't really know how many copies your games sell, but for the sake of argument, your 1% is maybe in the low thousands of people? Ubisofts 1% is in the tens of thousands. Still this notion that less than 1% of people are affected by this or care about it is absolute bullshit and it only takes someone without wool pulled over their eyes to see it.

And to make things clear to the folks out there that just don't fucking listen...

PIRATES DON"T CARE ABOUT DRM!!! IT GETS CRACKED ANYWAYS!!!

Mass Effect, Spore, Clear Sky, Warhead, and now even Sacred 2 (not due out in NA for another 5 weeks)....ALL CRACKED! Activation and Install limits does fuck all to combat piracy and only hurts legit users.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo