Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up

DRM is official on the Far Cry 2 Forums is a post by a user reporting that a conversation with a Ubisoft representative about DRM in Far Cry 2, and a subsequent post by a Ubi Forum Manager confirms the use of the SecuROM DRM indicated on the French Ubisoft Shop yesterday (story). On a semi-related note, Riccitiello Says DRM a Minority Controversy has comments from the EA CEO saying he feels that Digital Rights management only represents an issue for 0.2% of their users: "We're still working out the kinks. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other .2 percent, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it." Ubisoft has not answered our mails on the topic, but here is the forum post on the Far Cry 2 DRM:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

111. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 19:10 Kxmode

Everyone just calm the eff down. Better?

DRM!

okay start fighting again...

PS DEREKSMART

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

110. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 19:10 Krovven

Apple PowerMac G5 based systems (that have been around since 2003)

To think they used a Mac to develop under DirectX instead of developing it on a PC for a PC and later porting to consoles, is absolutely ludicrous. Your arguments are irrational.

Far easier logical deduction is that it was developed first for a PC, high res graphics, large open world, etc and when the current gen console specs were revealed to be able to handle such a game, they began porting it to consoles. Simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Well, I'm sure that they had console plans from day 1 but it could very well be that they did just not know which consoles exactly when they started out.

Oh no! They thought about possibly developing for consoles too! Those heathens!

----------------------------------------------------
LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

NoDRM group on Steam- http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nodrm/
This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 19:15.

109. ... Oct 15, 2008, 19:01 theyarecomingforyou

Fuck whether it's designed on one or the other - it doesn't matter. What matters is whether it plays well on PC. Far Cry 2 looks like a great PC game. Does it matter that it's released on consoles as well? Of course not. KOTOR was a console port but did it play like a PC game? Yeah, damn right it did. Was it great? Yup.

People here are far too elitist. Far Cry 2 looks to go beyond what previous PC first persons have done and people here are bitching about whether it's a true PC game? I've decided I'm not going to call Far Cry 2 a 'PC game' or a 'port' - I'm gonna call it a n00zied00b. I think FC2 will be a good n00zied00b.

n00zied00b!
n00zied00b!
n00zied00b!
n00zied00b!
n00zied00b!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

108. Ha. Oct 15, 2008, 18:58 headkase

Here's the rub: pirates won't have limited activations. Pirates won't need an internet connection to install or play. Pirate versions will still work at some undefined point in the future when the DRM servers are long dead. So, which version offers more value to the consumer? A pirate or legitimate copy? I used to be a d*ck but now I buy my software. I'm still in the grey area though - I buy my software and under fair dealing provisions in Canada I apply no-cd/dvd patches for the best of both worlds. No scratching up my media constantly rooting for the disc I want to play - making a repurchase neccesary sometimes - and I still compensate the developers for their hard won effort.

107. Far Cry Oct 15, 2008, 18:46 Ozmodan

It is still a virus that you expect me to install on my PC?

Sorry, I am not an idiot. You can take you stupid DRM and shove it you know where.

Actually I have made more money uninstalling this idiotic virus. I was in Best Buy today and caused two potential Spore buyers to put the game back.

106. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 18:37 CJ_Parker

Far Cry 2 was announced for PC in July 2007. Wasn't announced for 360 or PC until January 2008.

Yes. ANNOUNCED. That doesn't really mean anything and could very well have had political reasons like MS and Sony not wanting the console versions to be announced yet or maybe even some crossover issues with Crytek or maybe Ubi was not officially allowed to develop a sequel on consoles until a certain date had passed and so they had to keep it under wraps at first or maybe they weren't sure at the start whether to go for the Xbox and PS2 or the next gen consoles since they were right in between generations back then.
There are infinite possibilities why they chose to announce the PC version first.
Doesn't really matter though since I'm 100% sure that they made their Dunia engine with consoles in mind and were working on the game with console intentions from the very first day.

All the videos/screens up until the beginning of this year had been PC, now they are all 360 or PS3.

That could very well have had said "political" reasons as well like one of the involved parties not wanting media from the console versions out before a certain date.

Development began for the PC version back in 2004/2005. 360 and PS3 dev kits did not exist back then.

For the X360 the early dev kits were actually Apple PowerMac G5 based systems (that have been around since 2003) so Ubi Montreal certainly had the opportunity and ability to design the game with at least the 360 in mind from the beginning.

Well, I'm sure that they had console plans from day 1 but it could very well be that they did just not know which consoles exactly when they started out. The team had experience with the Xbox and PS2. Maybe they were a little indecisive at first whether to pull a quick one and develop Far Cry 2 in rush mode for the PC and the "last gen" of consoles or whether to take their time and go for the PC and next gen.

Who knows? But to believe that they were seriously ever planning on a PC-exclusive with Far Cry 2 at any point in development would be right on par with believing in Santa Claus.

105. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 18:16 [THA] Hamst3r

what is out there right now on the PC is almost 100% possible on the console.

Most console games don't even render at 1280x720. The ones that can actually push 1920x1080 are far and few (enjoy 1080p rub a dub and table tennis). My PC runs most games at 2560x1600. The consoles are barely capable of handling the games out there today.

Not to mention the control choices available for PC, the mods, the custom maps, the tweaks and everything else that's superior with PC gaming.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

104. Customer # 348723948734 Oct 15, 2008, 18:12 Kxmode

"We're still working out the kinks. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other .2 percent, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it."

Only EA would make a statement like that. They are so disconnected from reality.

-----
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 18:14.

103. Re: It has to be... Oct 15, 2008, 18:09 Kxmode

BALLS

-----
DRM needs to die... now

102. It has to be... Oct 15, 2008, 18:08 Shataan

a console port. Made by console minded fops. lol WTF else would release a PC version with no prone ability? A console minded dev team maybe? This wouldn`t be the 1st time bad code/lazy code programmers did the console version 1st, then lazed out on the PC port.

101. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 18:05 Jerykk

On a completely unrelated note, I just read the best Fallout 3 preview yet:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45725

100. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 18:03 Krovven

Anyway, it should be very safe to assume that the consoles were the lead platforms for Far Cry 2 from day no. 1.

Far Cry 2 was announced for PC in July 2007. Wasn't announced for 360 or PS3 until January 2008.

All the videos/screens up until the beginning of this year had been PC, now they are all 360 or PS3.

Development began for the PC version back in 2004/2005. 360 and PS3 dev kits did not exist back then.

LOST SALES DUE TO DRM- Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Dead Space...Far Cry 2 next?

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 18:09.

99. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:57 Krovven

Somehow I think they were referring more to The Sims as opposed to stuff like Dead Space. Also, where did they say this?

Christ, just go suck EA's dick then. Just because Dead Space or any other game may sell less on the PC than it's counterpart on a console does not mean they lose money. In fact, because it's developed and sold across multiple platforms they will make MORE money than they would have if it was console only.

If Dead Space were to sell 3mil on 360, 2mil on PS3 and only 1mil on PC, that 1mil is probably double of what they would have sold on PC 10 years ago. The industry has grown, consoles just grew faster.

This fucking ridonkulous idea that some idiot devs and pubs have spread, that PC games don't sell well or make money is obviously spreading to your brain. You seriously need to stop listening to the likes of CliffyB and Cervat Yerli and being brainwashed by their whining.

98. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:53 Verno

All of the early Far Cry 2 media I saw was showcasing the PC version, not the consoles. Either way, we'll know what kind of port it is very soon.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

97. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:41 CJ_Parker

At this point, I'm pretty sure FC2 is a console port. While the game did begin as a PC exclusive...

What the hell would make you think that it began as a PC exclusive? Ubi Montreal, the developer of Far Cry 2, was also responsible for the console-exclusive Far Cry Instincts (plus the Evolution and Predator packs of Instincts). Since they went console-exclusive at least for a little while after the original Far Cry it is almost surprising that Far Cry 2 is coming to the PC at all.
Anyway, it should be very safe to assume that the consoles were the lead platforms for Far Cry 2 from day no. 1. The PC version of FC2 is going to be a 100% port and knowing Ubi it's gonna be an extremely half-assed one, too.

96. ... Oct 15, 2008, 17:39 theyarecomingforyou

HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, and Portal are all games that would be considered console games by today's standards. Console games have advanced quite a bit in the past few years and you may not realize that the controls you use in those games are simple enough to be called console configs by today's standards.
By that logic there is no such thing as a PC game. I give up... your logic is too much for me.

Actually, if you run the EE patch on the regular (last years) version, I'm told it removes it, I believe (someone jump in here if that's not the case).
That's true. I installed the 1.4 patch (EE update) and it removed the CD-check altogether. However, that still doesn't excuse it. It's no different to Bioshock using DRM activations and then removing them later.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

95. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:26 StaTik

EA CEO saying he feels that Digital Rights management only represents an issue for 0.2% of their pirates. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users will notice.

94. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:24 Tumbler

Ya, but playing the console version is like competing in the special Olympics. As long as you drive a couple of nails into your frontal lobe everything is even Steven.

....I guess I agree, but you realize I'm not the one playing with Nails in my frontal lobe, right? You're playing the same game that I am on the console. I know this is hard to believe if you haven't played console games lately but what is out there right now on the PC is almost 100% possible on the console. And, in fact, it is the console version you're playing.

If consoles are the special Olympics then I'm right where I should be and you're here too...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

93. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 17:20 Jerykk

Yeah it was, I said exactly this last week and was shouted down by half the board, they labeled it a console port.

At this point, I'm pretty sure FC2 is a console port. While the game did begin as a PC exclusive, as soon as 360 and PS3 were added, they took priority. This is a logical conclusion to make because 1) 360 and PS3 have to go through certification before they can be released, whereas PC can be released at any time and 2) All previews, trailers, demonstrations, etc, have solely covered the console versions since the multiplatform announcement was made. I haven't seen anything about the PC version.

But hey, if you really think it's that bad that you need to repeat yourselves ad nauseum then go crazy, I'll just stop looking at the comments since there is no actual game discussion anywhere to be found on these boards.

Far Cry 2 has been discussed many times on these boards. This particular thread is a response to news about DRM so it only makes sense to discuss DRM.

92. Re: Remember folks Oct 15, 2008, 17:18 Bad Dos

Sigh... Another game I won't be buying. I'd pay an extra $10 for a drm free version.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo