Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up

DRM is official on the Far Cry 2 Forums is a post by a user reporting that a conversation with a Ubisoft representative about DRM in Far Cry 2, and a subsequent post by a Ubi Forum Manager confirms the use of the SecuROM DRM indicated on the French Ubisoft Shop yesterday (story). On a semi-related note, Riccitiello Says DRM a Minority Controversy has comments from the EA CEO saying he feels that Digital Rights management only represents an issue for 0.2% of their users: "We're still working out the kinks. We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 percent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other .2 percent, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it." Ubisoft has not answered our mails on the topic, but here is the forum post on the Far Cry 2 DRM:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

11. Remember Oct 15, 2008, 10:27 Creston

how six months ago everyone in the industry was talking about how EA had changed, and ricitteieieloo had this different direction he was going in, how they were going to care more about the quality of their products and try to improve their name with the gamers?

This is how ricieieitieieellooo improves EA's name : "We've implemented DRM that's no problem. Only the vocal minority, and they're all fucking pleebs anyways. My shareholders just voted me a million dollar raise. FUCK YOU GAMERS."

That last thing : "Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2."

To be fair, I can't actually remember a game that Ubisoft turned their servers off for? Unlike fucking EA.

That's going to be a massive lawsuit waiting to happen, when EA turns off their first SecuROM protected game so people can't play it anymore.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Ugh! Oct 15, 2008, 10:25 Ant

Stupid DRM. Are there patches to remove DRM from pirate scenes and playable online? I really want this game, but don't want this DRM crap.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 10:18 peteham

Consider me in the 0.2% then. I just canceled my preorder. As long as they don't ship with a guarantee that they'll remove the activation-restriction entirely six months down the road, they can strike one customer off their list. I just can't be arsed to uninstall every single game individually every time I do a reformat. That's assuming the reason for the aforementioned reformat enables me to actually do that in the first place.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 10:21.

8. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 10:15 Flo

Of course Joe Average won't notice this, sad but true.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

7. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 10:14 JayDeath

Wow, another EA game that wont get my money. I didn't know anything about this DRM bullshit with this game until now. I'm wondering if Gamespot will give me my preorder money back.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

6. BOYCOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oct 15, 2008, 10:10 Wildone

LETS NOT SUPPORT PUBLISHERS WHO MAKE GOOD GAMES. F*** EM!

5. Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 09:53 Ecthelion

I'm wondering when an upgrade is considered a separate PC. What unique identifier are they using that flags a system as being a specific PC? When I do a major upgrade, which usually involves upgrading to a new CPU that needs a new form factor (and therefore a new motherboard), will Ubisoft consider it the same PC? All I'd be keeping is the case, the hard drives, and the DVD writer... everything else would change. It's true that I wouldn't do this 4 times within the next 5 years, but it's likely that I will 10 years from now... will the activation system be removed by then? If the game is good enough, I may still want to play it that far down the road.

I'm waiting until I see reviews on this, but I'm curious how the activation system is really going to work. It sounds fine in theory, but without more details we can't know for sure.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:57.

4. Re: Please skip DRM Oct 15, 2008, 09:52 Darks

I feel the same way; all this does is pisses off legitimate paying customers and forces them to look for the game elsewhere to get around the DRM. EA, UBI Soft and anyone else using this type of DRM just does not get it. They have lost this battle and gone and made it 10 times worst now.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:53.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

3. Please skip DRM Oct 15, 2008, 09:48 MrTA

I mean seriously you all should know by now that DRM does NOTHING to prevent pirates from pirating the game. All it does is bugging legimate customers like me that want to buy the game. So whenever I find out that DRM is in I wount buy it. That is the only boycot I have when it comes to games. I don't care about companies or publishers and such stuff. But boy do I hate DRM, so Ubisoft please get this, DRM does NOTHING but hurt your sales ok?

2. To please the investors Oct 15, 2008, 09:43 Kajetan

Well, it does nothing to prevent copies. It does nothing to "enhance" the game experience for the customer. It does not generate more revenue or sales. The only reason, big publishers use this DRM is to please the all so rational and logical investors ...

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:43.

1. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 09:42 JaguarUSF

0.2% of users notice DRM in the first month, but how about 2-3 years down the road after they have upgraded their computer hardware or operating system and still expect to play Spore that they paid $50 for. EA is totally missing the point, as usual.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:44.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo