Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Video Interviews

The Frank Pearce Interview on StarCraftWire.Net talks with the Blizzard cofounder at the just completed BlizzCon event, talking about Diablo III, StarCraft II, and more. They also discuss the planned direction for the World of Warcraft team after the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, and even get a couple of mentions of Blizzard's still-unannounced fourth project. There is also a new video interview on Diii.Net where Jay Wilson answers more questions about Diablo III, discussing things like runes, the removal of assignable attributes, and drop rates of that sweet, sweet lewt. Meanwhile, there's a video of the BlizzCon 2008 Diablo III Gameplay, Classes, Skills Presentation Slideshow on PlanetDiablo. Finally, PlanetDiablo also has a video of Diablo III music being performed by VideoGamesLive.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Attributes Oct 15, 2008, 18:03 osage no onna

Uhm yeah. No assignable points? Blizzard is sure going in a GREAT direction here. Up next : a Blizzard operated store in WoW where you can buy gold and mounts with your credit card.

They're already effectively selling unique mounts and level 60 characters with their "recruit a friend" scheme That you have to sort of level them a little is just to obfuscate the fact.

Few people probably remember at this point that WoW used to have assignable stat points too, in the original beta. They removed them under the pretense that they didn't want people to assign them badly and thus gimp themselves, which in itself is a really pathetic reason, but of course the real reason was that they wanted to limit people's choices so that they'd have an easier time controlling the way people play, and would cut down on the amount of balancing they need to do. It's so much easier to create content when you know exactly how the players are going to approach it (since it's not like they have any options).

It'd be great to have some meaningful choices in a game, but I'm probably looking in the wrong place here. I'm sure I'll end up playing D3 either way :\

Unless they try to turn b.net into a subscription-based service. I half-expect something like that at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Attributes Oct 15, 2008, 16:03 Cutter

ActiBlizz really really starting their Titanic run now. It won't happen anytime soon, but you could say this is the beginning of their slow descent into obscure mediocrity.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Attributes Oct 15, 2008, 11:40 Undocumented Alien

I must say that I'm pretty disappointed to hear them removing attribute points.

Disappointing for sure, pretty dumb design decision.

11. Re: Attributes Oct 15, 2008, 10:37 Creston

I must say that I'm pretty disappointed to hear them removing attribute points.

Uhm yeah. No assignable points? Blizzard is sure going in a GREAT direction here. Up next : a Blizzard operated store in WoW where you can buy gold and mounts with your credit card.

reaching the requirement for your target gear as fast as possible while balancing the need for HP, and then just stuffing everything in survival, alternatively INT for mana or STR/DEX for a little bit of extra damage for non HC chars.

So, choice? Yeah that sucked that you had choices in Diablo 2. We should just get rid of that. In fact, I want Diablo 3 to decide for me what skill to use and where, so that all I do is click to move my character. That way I can enjoy the pretty scenery more.

This is turning into a freaking Wii game.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 10:41.

10. Re: Don't Blizzard work on 5 games? Oct 15, 2008, 08:04 peteham

Shame on you Jay Wilson. Shame on Blizzard....
You are seeing this purely in the context of Diablo 2, with insane and sudden bursts of damage taken from cursed/msle mobs etc, where you had to had to have enough HP in hardcore to hopefully survive one or two hits, then run around screaming while your health-pot slowly put you back into fighting-condition.. Then dart in for another punch, rinse repeat..

With Diablo 3 apparently focusing on "slower" more tactical fights with less damage bursts and relying on orbs rather than pots, this is going to be completely different anyway. Seeing how this works out should be a far bigger concern than the removal of stat allocation.. Most of us old-timers are generally blind to what would be considered an improvement to other gamers, as all we really want is Diablo 2 with more content

Frankly, this change doesn't mean much to me at all for now. Stats in Diablo 2 were mainly fairly simplistic anyway, where the main focus was reaching the requirement for your target gear as fast as possible while balancing the need for HP, and then just stuffing everything in survival, alternatively INT for mana or STR/DEX for a little bit of extra damage for non HC chars.

Edit: Ahem.Energy not INT. Haven't played since 1.09
This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 08:17.

9. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 07:46 shinchan0s

First "orbs" and now the removal of attributes? WTF they are dumbing down the game. Will this game even resemble Diablo? Seriously. Fuck you, Bliztard. Why not turn it into another WOW clone already? This is hilarious. Oh, how the mighty has fallen.

8. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 06:59 InBlack

At the very least they should have an option to turn on "manual" mode so to speak, so the player has the option to allow automatic lvl-up mode or to do it by himself. I find it really insulting that they are marketing for the lowest common denominator with this setup.....

....Never thought I would say this.....Fuck you Blizzard!

I have a nifty blue line!

7. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 06:31 space captain

hahaha - fuck diablo  
Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Don't Blizzard work on 5 games? Oct 15, 2008, 06:27 InBlack

The removal of assignable attributes is probably the stupidest thing Blizzard ever did and I seriously hope they reconsider. Assignable atributes are the ONLY SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING in Diablo2 Hardcore mode. Hardcore mode is unplayable unless you pump the maximum ammount of attribute points into vitality. There is no way to survive unless you do this. Diablo2 LOD is now played almost exclusively in HC mode on battle.net it is fun and frustrating and it takes tremendous skill and patience. I cannot believe that Blizzard turned a blind eye to this their most "hardcore" and dedicated fanbase.

Shame on you Jay Wilson. Shame on Blizzard....

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 06:28.

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Attributes Oct 15, 2008, 06:25 Bhruic

I must say that I'm pretty disappointed to hear them removing attribute points. I don't really buy the justification for it either - claiming that they need to know how many points classes will have at different levels. That should be up to the player to decide based on how they want to develop their character. Items already have a level limiter, that should be sufficient.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that in D2, most people went "enough str to use items, no dex/dex for block at 75%, rest in vit". But that's not a failure of attribute points, it's a failure of attributes. If you've got one that is primarily dedicated to keeping you alive, and there's no compelling reason to put points into the rest, of course that's where people will put them. The solution to that isn't to remove the points, it's to ensure that there are good reasons to put points into different attributes with different builds.

4. Don't Blizzard work on 5 games? Oct 15, 2008, 04:24 MrTA

WoTLK, SC2, D3 unannounced mmo game + another unannouned game? At least that is what I have heard. Oh well time will tell I guess. Good video though, recommended to watch.

3. Re: music Oct 15, 2008, 01:41 Cram

I understand. Kudos sir, and kudos again.

2. Re: music Oct 15, 2008, 01:31 HellSlayer

I think the tables in diablo 1 rocked....but the tables in diablo2 did not have fake food on them:/ That took away from realism and I think Blizzard should go out of business because... I do not like the fact that they make money. We should all work for free!:)Ok out of respect for BLuesnews I will not mock after this post:)Wow but boy was it fun!:)sorry cram...I had to:0

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 01:34.

o0

1. music Oct 15, 2008, 01:05 Cram

The Warcraft II piano arrangement ftw. Diablo III's music needs a mix of Diablo I and something new. Diablo II's and LOD music was pretty "meh".

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo