Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway ATI Bug

The Gearbox Software Forums have word on a bug in Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway that slipped through which can cause crashes or slowdowns on the Black Friday level of the World War II shooter sequel. According to Gearbox: "If you have an ATI graphics card and are seeing crashes or severe slowdowns when playing the Black Friday level (the one with rain), it is a known problem with the ATI driver. We are working on a patch and are trying to make it available as soon as possible." Thanks PawPaw.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 20:21 MMORPGHoD

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 20:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 19:11 Ecthelion

It has nothing to be a fanboi, but if you compare driver support between the 2 companies, and overall games issues with Nvidia and ATI, it's fairly clear who to go with.

At the end of the day I just don't want to have to fight with my drivers.
I honestly have never had a single issue with any of my ATI cards and drivers. I haven't used an Nvidia card since the GeForce4 days.

18. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 19:00 The Half Elf

Back in the day when I was a 3DFX fanboi, they were bought by nvidia, and never heard from again. So I had 2 options Nvidia and ATI. Looking overall at both companies I came to the conclusion that ATI (at the time) had a horrible history of driver support for it's game.
Now skip ahead a few few years later, and it is STILL THE SAME ISSUE WITH ATI.

It has nothing to be a fanboi, but if you compare driver support between the 2 companies, and overall games issues with Nvidia and ATI, it's fairly clear who to go with.

At the end of the day I just don't want to have to fight with my drivers.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 14:57 Dan M

Amen. I'd been an Nvidia user since the late 90's and just didn't like ATI's products for whatever reason (probably marketing, tbh). However, the 4850 was just too good a deal to ignore and so far I've been happy with my purchase.

16. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 13:37 Ecthelion

I have a friend who is reasonable with computers that is fiercely against ATi cards, saying the cause problems and conflict with systems. He also bashes Vista, attributing any problem with my system as being the result of Vista (even when it's clearly not the case). I really don't understand this irrational dislike people have for certain products. I think it speaks far more about the individual than the products they criticise.
I think you're right. My brother loves to bash Vista (to be fair, he did use it for a while), even though I've had only very minor problems running it. But it seems like he has a dislike of just about everything these days... he's always complaining about modern movies and games. I think he just likes bashing things, and the same seems to be true of ATI "haters."

15. ... Oct 15, 2008, 13:33 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know why people have the idea that ATI drivers are crappy... I haven't had any problems with any games I've played on my current card or either of the older ones.
I have a friend who is reasonable with computers that is fiercely against ATi cards, saying the cause problems and conflict with systems. He also bashes Vista, attributing any problem with my system as being the result of Vista (even when it's clearly not the case). I really don't understand this irrational dislike people have for certain products. I think it speaks far more about the individual than the products they criticise.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

14. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 10:43 Ecthelion

Very much. I remember a time when updating nVidia or ATi drivers would result in bluescreens but now things are very different. I've had an 8800GT and currently a 4870 and both worked fine, so I don't understand this mentality that ATi drivers are terrible. Even the performance of the Catalyst Control Center, something that performed very slowly when I had a X850XT, has improved and support for resolution resizing for widescreen monitors has been added.

I would happily buy a card from either company. I buy entirely on performance / cost ratio, though the overclocking options for ATi cards gives them an ever so slight edge in my opinion (on Vista64 that is, where other options are very limited because of driver signing). ATi cards offer better performance / price for this generation.
Exactly. I haven't had any problems with any of my ATI cards since the X800XL (which went to a X1800XT before my current HD4850). The Catalyst Control Center hasn't always been the best tool, but it performs adequately now. I've also noticed the aspect ratio scaling for widescreen monitors ability, and I use it on all my older games.

I don't know why people have the idea that ATI drivers are crappy... I haven't had any problems with any games I've played on my current card or either of the older ones.

I'd probably buy from either company again, but right now the 4850 blows Nvidia away in performance/price. That consideration is far more important to me than any silly brand loyalty based on flawed perceptions of either company.

13. ... Oct 15, 2008, 10:35 theyarecomingforyou

* I guess the silly video card brand rivalry is still alive and well.
Very much. I remember a time when updating nVidia or ATi drivers would result in bluescreens but now things are very different. I've had an 8800GT and currently a 4870 and both worked fine, so I don't understand this mentality that ATi drivers are terrible. Even the performance of the Catalyst Control Center, something that performed very slowly when I had a X850XT, has improved and support for resolution resizing for widescreen monitors has been added.

I would happily buy a card from either company. I buy entirely on performance / cost ratio, though the overclocking options for ATi cards gives them an ever so slight edge in my opinion (on Vista64 that is, where other options are very limited because of driver signing). ATi cards offer better performance / price for this generation.

12. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 09:39 Ecthelion

But really, an issue like this is ridiculous. There are only two companies making worthwhile graphics cards and yet the game only works properly with one of those. It seems they're able to fix this issue, which means it's not difficult and should have been fixed during development.
All of the Nvidia users here are quick to jump on ATI's case*, but how do we know it's their fault? As theyarecomingforyou said, this should have been caught in development. This is what we do know: the latest Catalysts have been out for over a month, and Gearbox should have had time to test them. Regardless of where the fault lies for the bug, Gearbox is at fault for not finding the issue before release (or finding the problem and ignoring it). They knew that a large percentage of PC gamers have ATI cards, so that should have motivated them to test the game on ATI hardware better.

Multiplatform development is probably to blame, although they had 2 weeks to work on the PC version after the console version were released.

* I guess the silly video card brand rivalry is still alive and well.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:42.

11. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 08:56 PHJF

Well considering this game was developed primarily for the 360, is this any surprise?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 08:47 Quboid

Does it happen all the time? Does it happen with all driver versions? Does it happen with all ATi cards? There's every chance this is a one-in-a-million bug, not the one-in-two that it may initially appear.

It appears to be ATi's problem anyway, Gearbox shouldn't hack in a work-around.

- Quboid

- Quboid

9. ... Oct 15, 2008, 08:40 theyarecomingforyou

So true. I just changed from a HD4850 to a GTX260 and the Nvidia driver is so much more sophisticated.
The shitty ATI driver was actually one of the main reasons I switched to Nvidia.
I've found the opposite. I moved from an 8800GT to a 4870 and found the drivers to be as good or better, especially overclocking profiles.

But really, an issue like this is ridiculous. There are only two companies making worthwhile graphics cards and yet the game only works properly with one of those. It seems they're able to fix this issue, which means it's not difficult and should have been fixed during development.

8. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 08:32 Overon

Yeah it's very difficult for a QA department to use the latest driver from ati and playtest a level and see the problem. QA leads the way.

7. No subject Oct 15, 2008, 04:06 Optimaximal

If they had decided to release a PC demo, they might have picked up on this bug before release...

Ahh well, c'est la vie.

6. Re: Amazing... Oct 15, 2008, 03:50 Muscular Beaver

It's Gearbox's problem that ATI continues to make shitty drivers?

So true. I just changed from a HD4850 to a GTX260 and the Nvidia driver is so much more sophisticated.
The shitty ATI driver was actually one of the main reasons I switched to Nvidia.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

5. Re: Randy Pitchford bug Oct 15, 2008, 02:40 Mark

Ha, true Hoop. It's a pity, because I find the storyline quite moving, and the voice acting is a bit distracting.

4. Re: Amazing... Oct 15, 2008, 01:11 The Half Elf

It's Gearbox's problem that ATI continues to make shitty drivers?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Randy Pitchford bug Oct 15, 2008, 01:03 Hoop

Truly some of the most embarassing voice acting out there. Gives you an appreciation for the professionals that do it well. How much can this game have cost to produce only to have management involved butchering a dutch accent, or over acting a main character....why?
I nearly pissed myself when the Scotish tank commander or was it Irish commander? I could not tell from laughing as he slipped in and out of both accents to the point where I need subtitiles turned on to figure out what he said.

Um .. Behind you...

2. ... Oct 15, 2008, 00:16 theyarecomingforyou

Is this the patch that adds SecuROM activations?  

1. Amazing... Oct 15, 2008, 00:04 Parallax Abstraction

What a surprise, another Gearbox PC product with a glaring bug that should never have gotten through QA.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo